E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Why All of Us Should Mistrust the Government

It should come as no surprise that President Obama told Ohio State students at graduation ceremonies last week that they should not question authority and they should reject the calls of those who do. He argued that "our brave, creative, unique experiment in self-rule" has been so successful that trusting the government is the same as trusting ourselves; hence, challenging the government is the same as challenging ourselves. And he blasted those who incessantly warn of government tyranny.

Yet, mistrust of government is as old as America itself. America was born out of mistrust of government. The revolution that was fought in the 1770s and 1780s was actually won in the minds of colonists in the mid-1760s when the British imposed the Stamp Act and used writs of assistance to enforce it. The Stamp Act required all persons in the colonies to have government-sold stamps on all documents in their possession, and writs of assistance permitted search warrants written by British troops in which they authorized themselves to enter private homes ostensibly to look for the stamps.

These two pieces of legislation were so unpopular here that Parliament actually rescinded the Stamp Act, and the king's ministers reduced the use of soldier-written search warrants. But the searches for the stamps turned the tide of colonial opinion irreversibly against the king.

The same king also prosecuted his political adversaries in Great Britain and here for what he called "seditious libel" -- basically, criticizing the government. Often that criticism spread and led to civil disobedience, so the British sought to punish it at its source. The prosecutions were so unpopular here, and so contrary to the spirit of what would become the Declaration of Independence, that when the British went home and the Framers wrote the Constitution and the Bill of Rights was added, the First Amendment assured that the new government could not punish speech.

Yet barely 10 years into "our brave, creative, unique experiment in self-rule," in the infamous Alien and Sedition Acts, Congress at the instigation of President John Adams criminalized free speech that was critical of the new government.

How did it come about that members of the same generation -- in some cases the very same human beings -- that declared in the First Amendment that "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech" in fact enacted laws that did just that?

As morally wrong, as violative of the natural law, as unconstitutional as these laws were, they were not historical incongruities. Thomas Jefferson -- who opposed and condemned the acts (he was Adams' vice president at the time) -- warned that it is the nature of government over time to increase and of liberty to decrease. And that's why we should not trust government. In the same era, James Madison himself agreed when he wrote, "All men having power should be distrusted to a certain degree."

The Alien and Sedition Acts were but the beginning of a long train of government abuses visited upon people in America as a consequence of the "experiment in self-rule." I am not quoting Obama's Ohio State speech to nitpick, but rather to establish a base line for my argument that he rejects core principles and historical lessons and, most troubling, the natural law itself when he opines that government should be trusted because*it has gained power via self-rule.

Self-rule alone is hardly a basis for governmental legitimacy, unless it is accompanied by fidelity to the natural law and to the rule of law. The rule of law here means fidelity to the Constitution, that all laws are just and apply to everyone, so no one is excused from obeying the laws and no one is excluded from their protections. Yet, self-rule here has been unjust and has brought us the tyranny of the majority. And that tyranny has brought us slavery, unjust wars, Jim Crow laws, domestic concentration camps in wartime, slaughter of babies in the womb, domestic spying without search warrants, torture and death by drones -- just to name a few.

The reason Obama likes government and the reason it is "a dangerous fire," as George Washington warned, and the reason I have been warning against government tyranny in my public work is all the same: The government rejects the natural law because it is an obstacle to its control over us. The natural law is divinely embedded in our souls. It is manifested by the universal yearning for freedom and justice. It consists of areas of human behavior -- thought, expression, religion, self-defense, travel, acquisition and use of property, privacy, for example -- in which our behavior is subject only to the exercise of our free will and not the permission of our neighbors or regulation by the government. The natural law, properly understood, is a restraint on the government.

Yet, government in America -- whether it consists of Congress protecting the slave trade, or John Adams or Abraham Lincoln or Woodrow Wilson prosecuting political speech, or FDR incarcerating Japanese-Americans, or George W. Bush promising immunity for torturers and domestic warrantless spies, or Obama killing whomever he chooses with drones -- has never hesitated to reject the natural law. All of these violations of the natural law were approved by the majority when undertaken. The government's persistent and systematic rejection of the natural law is alone sufficient to mistrust government and reject Obama's Ohio State advice.

The government that has come about by self-rule derives its powers from the consent of the governed. Because the tyranny of the majority can be as dangerous to freedom as the tyranny of a madman, all use of governmental power should be challenged and questioned. Government is essentially the negation of liberty. If we fail to challenge government at every turn, there will be no liberty remaining for us to defend when the government tries to negate it.

http://reason.com/archives/2013/05/0...ust-the-govern
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796

If you question authority, the terrorists win. Now shut up and eat your government cheese, it's the best out there.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #3
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
If you question authority, the terrorists win. Now shut up and eat your government cheese, it's the best out there.

I see a lot of JonJon's thoughts in this article.

I'm appalled that Obama would hype up graduation so much knowing many of those students will not be taking employment in the next few months. Instead he should have kept it real and told them there are winners and losers, and some of them should have chosen another path for starting a career.
Sick Days - Unlimited
Healthcare - Top notch

Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
I don't trust anyone - especially people who tell me not to trust someone else.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
I don't trust anyone - especially people who tell me not to trust someone else.
Can I tell you a secret? Promise not to tell?
Sick Days - Unlimited
Healthcare - Top notch

Old 05-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
You're showing your age.
Sick Days - Unlimited
Healthcare - Top notch

Old 05-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
Lair
Modded ///Member

That's my parents' music.

Quote:
Congratulations.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro

Great article! I can never stress the importance of liberty enough!

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
You know things are ****ed when the government gets caught lying and people have the attitude "so what, politicians lie!"...then that same politician tells you to trust government. smh

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Re: Why All of Us Should Mistrust the Government

While I might disagree with some fine points, overall a good piece. I would suggest, however, that this console to question power not be restricted to the government. There are many other significant, nongovernmental foci of power in our society with the own capacities to usurp our natural rights and freedoms in service to their own ends. So perhaps look upon corporate, economic, religious and other powerful institutions with the same scrutiny and distrust as you might our government. I think the healthy concept of a balance of powers applies just as much amongst all the edifices of power in our society as to within our government itself.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using BimmerApp mobile app
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
While I might disagree with some fine points, overall a good piece. I would suggest, however, that this console to question power not be restricted to the government. There are many other significant, nongovernmental foci of power in our society with the own capacities to usurp our natural rights and freedoms in service to their own ends. So perhaps look upon corporate, economic, religious and other powerful institutions with the same scrutiny and distrust as you might our government. I think the healthy concept of a balance of powers applies just as much amongst all the edifices of power in our society as to within our government itself.

absolutely. All power is to be questioned.

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
Tom5933
<3s Euro-Spec

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post

Well said.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #14
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
You know things are ****ed when the government gets caught lying and people have the attitude "so what, politicians lie!"...then that same politician tells you to trust government. smh
Than things have been ****ed since at least the Nixon administration.

On that criteria, I think the only non-****ed administration since JFK was Carter, and some how I doubt you are going to agree that things were not ****ed with Carter.

By the same token. Show me a govt that doesn't lie to its people and tell its citizens that "the govt needs to be trusted."

quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Last edited by rdsesq; 05-10-2013 at 09:14 PM.
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #15
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
I believe the proper nomenclature is "why all of us should not trust the Government"

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #16
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I believe the proper nomenclature is "why all of us should not trust the Government"
I believe the proper wording is "I believe the proper wording is 'why all of us should not trust the Government'"