E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
wahoosboy

My Ride: 2001 330i ZSP
Charlottesville, VA Area..?

Hello, not sure what kind of reaction I will receive for this post. I'm a junior in highschool in central VA area, got an e46 from the grandparents (react to that how you will) with about 100k miles. Obviously its going to need work, and I have a pretty limited budget. I'm decently mechanically inclined, but I'm new to the hole car thing so I am very limited in what i can do. I was wondering suggestions on fairly priced shops in the area to work on an e46 or if there were any members that may want to help me out on a weekend or something in the future for a fair price. I don't want to do anything too serious, I'd just like to replace the VANOS seals maybe new motor mounts, cooling system. I'm not quite confortable enough to tackle these things by myself yet, hopefully someday.
Thanks,
just because i have limited budget and skill, i'd still like to keep my car in tip top shape and hopefully take it another 150k miles

2001 330i ZSP
wahoosboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
idk of any shops in C'ville. If you are willing to travel to the Richmond area which is about 1hr drive to Glen Allen location .... to Sarek auto.

http://www.sarekautowerke.com/

Or Check the BMW CAr Club in your area.

http://www.bmwcca.org/node/2168

Here is a list of indie shops in our area.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=487465
Old 05-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
BCS E46

My Ride: 06ZHP, 08e90,11e70
PM sent.
BCS E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Burn24_Rider

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i 5spd
Hey, I'm in the area, been trolling the forums for a while and have read tons. Always been an avid home mechanic, know about everything there is to know about my other vehicles (Accord, '81 VW Rabbit diesel caddy, '84 VF700F, 78 F250 (sadly sold) & 93 F150). Newer to BMW but catching on quick. I live out in Batesville and work here at UVa WAHOOWA and just getting into really getting the BMW back up to speed, I've had it a few thousand miles.

I just did a double VANOS rebuild, DISA upgrade / rebuild, intake boots, vacuum lines, oil filter housing gasket, CCV replacement, valve cover gasket, ICV & TB cleaning, oil level sensor, oil change, etc. etc. etc. job this last weekend on my '01 330i. Planning to do a voltage regulator asap soon as it arrives now that I know what I have, as well as fuel pump and filter and two window regulators. Just ordered the BMW Scanner 1.4 and have lots of tools to get these jobs done right, might be cool to do some wrenching together. It's really rewarding doing the work yourself, and if you're on a real tight budget, parts alone are going to be a limiting factor. Just do the most critical stuff as preventative maintenance then fix the less critical stuff as it comes along.

In terms of mechanics, my bro's wife works at Edgecomb's autos (he has a E36 328i) and they have a guy that knows his bimmers quite well. Also seen great reviews for (google them for reviews):

Larry's Auto & Truck Repair
1313 Belleview Avenue
Charlottesville, VA 22901
(434) 979-3223
larrysautocharlottesvilles.com***8206;