E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
Turbo323ci

My Ride: 323ci turbo
Bought a lemon turbo 323 ci how much boost

So I traded for a lemon nice ride but I'm out three grand previous owner just bolted on the turbo and didn't install properly now it's at eurohause motor sports in knoxville getting all gaskets tune and the whole turbo system ran the right way what are some hp and tq numbers I should expect when I get it back ill have it back end of next week and ill post some videos and #s

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
azshorty

My Ride: Hellrot 323CI
You would be the first to know what to expect.
But 323's aren't meant to be turboed.
I put my money its an ebay kit. These 323's are never succesful in being turbo charged because there is no proper tune for them. Yes it will run, but for how long? Thats why they are supercharged instead.
Good luck and post dyno results if it gets past that point.
But expect around 275 hp at 8 psi.
Anymore than that, you'll have a granade in your hands.

Last edited by azshorty; 05-12-2013 at 03:38 AM.
azshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo323ci View Post
So I traded for a lemon nice ride but I'm out three grand previous owner just bolted on the turbo and didn't install properly now it's at eurohause motor sports in knoxville getting all gaskets tune and the whole turbo system ran the right way what are some hp and tq numbers I should expect when I get it back ill have it back end of next week and ill post some videos and #s
Some punctuation would make your post a bit easier to understand. I'm not being a grammar Nazi or anything, but an occasional period would help.
If I understand you, you spent $3000 for a 323i with a turbo installed. Is that right?
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
Few people here will provide sufficient information for forced induction.

Ask your boost-related questions here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41

Also, it's dangerous to run boost on 323s. It's very possible, although the question is how long your engine will last until something breaks down for good. But if that happens, I'd suggest you use it as an excuse to toss in a fun engine, something like an S54 or 2JZ. Maybe even an RB26, since they're finishing the production with another release of that motor. You can buy one now, brand new! For one easy payment of $10,000.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i

Question is what turbo is installed in the car?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Turbo323ci

That's all I plan on running is 7-10 pounds. It's a t3/t4 turbo . I am paying 3k to have the gaskets replaces and have a ECM put in and tuned. Also to re plumb the turbo since the po didn't know what he was doing. Which caused a lot of bad gaskets so the 3k is to make it reliable to hold the pressure
Old 05-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
bumere46

My Ride: E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Some punctuation would make your post a bit easier to understand. I'm not being a grammar Nazi or anything, but an occasional period would help.
If I understand you, you spent $3000 for a 323i with a turbo installed. Is that right?
bumere46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Dino1394

My Ride: 04 330xi
Not to thread jack or anything, if its hard to tune a 323, does the same go for 328,325,330s?

I know the 323 had a weird setup compared to the rest of the engines, is this why?
Dino1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #9
azshorty

TT makes a turbo setup for 330's. there is a video where it made over 400hp.
The problem with 323's is there's not enough R&D to even bother to develop a kit for it.
O.p what gaskets are being replaced?
What kit is being used?
You mentioned a t3/t4 turbo, but who developed the kit?
Garret, turbonetics, e46psi?

Last edited by azshorty; 05-12-2013 at 02:53 PM.
azshorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo323ci View Post
Just so you know, there is no such thing as a Turbo 323. What you found is a 323 that some knucklehead put a turbo onto, and he did a crap-job. That mod is a very dangerous one to buy. At least when you do it yourself, you get what you paid for. But when you buy what somebody else did, there's no telling what you get. Consider this, if it worked he would not have sold it.

Buying that pile of dog doo was a big mistake.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
Turbo323ci

Exactly it was a eBay kit and I'm not a idiot I know there's no stock turbo 323s. The oil return line was a mess coning off of the turbo so a new one of those. And it blew several gaskets on the motor the whole undercarriage was covered in oil. Don't know all the exact gaskets yet but will know tommorrow. Eurohause in knoxville tn is the go to shop for euros in tn they do several race cars for auto cross and professional racers. I know they will do it right I traded a 89 jeep for it lol u get what u pay for. I am surprised no one has really tried before if it blows ill put a 330 in it. Put it in the shop last Thursday and they start it tommorrow after initial inspection 2500-3000 to get fixed right like I mentioned b4. They are extremely hard to tune 300-500 for a ECM then 200 a hr on a dyno to tune by a respectible tuner.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #12
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
It's not that easy. What are they going to use to tune it? AEM Standalone? These are OBD-2 cars that need to be cracked, it took years and years for companies to come out with a turbo for this very reason. You need to get proper software for your setup or it will continue to be 'untuneable.' If you know something I don't, then maybe you have software on deck that will work. But I don't think $3k and some dyno time will make it run properly.

Last edited by hi its me alec; 05-12-2013 at 04:15 PM.
hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
If it's an ebay kit take everything out.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
Not to thread jack or anything, if its hard to tune a 323, does the same go for 328,325,330s?

I know the 323 had a weird setup compared to the rest of the engines, is this why?
What do you mean had a weird setup compared to the rest of the engines? They're essentially all the same with the difference being the stroke and some parts being forged in the premium engine cars.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #15
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Why do you keep mentioning "gaskets". I can barely follow what's going on.

In for pics of the ghetto turbo installed, though.

Last edited by choxor; 05-12-2013 at 10:26 PM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #16
Bavaryan

My Ride: 330i w/out park.
Am I the only one who thinks this would be a fun, albeit challenging project? I'm curious to see what the outcome is...
Old 05-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Dino1394

My Ride: 04 330xi
Re: Bought a lemon turbo 323 ci how much boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG5384 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this would be a fun, albeit challenging project? I'm curious to see what the outcome is...
If he can sort out all the bigger issues first he most definitely have a fun time sorting the tiny left over bits he has to do. All it takes is time, patience , and of course money

Sent from my SPH-D710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
Turbo323ci

The seals or gaskets got tore up because the previous owner just tossed it on there without upgrading anything. The cars in good hands I'm glad to know it hasn't been done atleast not much. By the end of this week ill have it back. Eurohause will have me a one of a kind BMW that I know no one close to my area has. I'm also like the fact some don't like it because I know you want it lol. All that matters is I'm gonna love it I will update everyone has it gets finished. By the way the computers can be flashed tuned a cheaper route but not nearly as good as getting a ECM system.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:07 PM   #19
azshorty

A turbo charged bmw isnt one of a kind.
Its just being said that 323's for the amount of money your spending, is gonna disappoint you.
Especially if you get beat by a N/A engine.
Reputibale tuners didnt do it for a reason. Much less an indy shop.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #20
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
IMHO, I would pull the plug on the whole half-a$$ed tubo kit from ebay - especially since you are dropping $3k to try to make it run right (perhaps only temporarily.)

If you want to make that car faster, do the other thing you mentioned. Find yourself a good engine from a 330i and look up the other tried and true mods listed on this board, like proper headers, good exhaust, etc. You might even wind up spending less money and have a much better set-up.
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote