E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Help a fatty out -- Progress thread I guess

So I've always been the fat kid, triple chin, whole thing. First year of college was about 4 years ago, and I lost a ton of baby weight just by cutting back on snacking and eating crap food. It wasn't until a few months ago that I started to work out and try to get in better shape for real.

So far, my routine has been pretty unorganized. This is what I try to stick to:

First day
Biceps - Chest - Abs (3 workouts each, 10-15 reps, 3 sets each)

Second day
Triceps - Back - Shoulders (3 workouts each, 10-15 reps, 3 sets each)

Third day
Legs - 30 min cardio

Fourth day
Rest

Repeat

Hasn't been until these past two weeks where I've incorporated cardio everyday. My diet has also been pretty unorganized. I watch what I eat for the most part, but as a college student being on campus all day, I always get hungry, and I'm always getting food. Most of the time its a Cliff bar for a snack, and if I haven't brought my own food, I usually try to grab subway. Regardless, I want a more concrete diet. I did some shopping today, picked up 100% whole wheat bread, some shredded chicken, lettuce mix for salads, low fat yogurt, and some trail mix. I'm not looking to get huge/ripped, right now I really want to burn my belly fat, but I'd like to build muscle along the way (I know its difficult and confusing for the body). I know my routine isn't cutting it for me anymore, so I'm looking for as much input as possible, making a better schedule, and sticking to it 100%.

Excuse the farmer's tan and lack of shape. First two pics are from around September or October I believe. Last two pics are from tonight.

So yea. Help me kick my ass into high, efficient gear. Please and thank you fellas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	505319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0433.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	505320   Click image for larger version

Name:	photomay1312620am.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	505323   Click image for larger version

Name:	photomay1312437am.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	505324  

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge

Last edited by HyeWarrior; 05-13-2013 at 03:43 AM.
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
sup dawg. Go here, come back in a year http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=982930
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Hasn't been until these past two weeks where I've incorporated cardio everyday. My diet has also been pretty unorganized. I watch what I eat for the most part, but as a college student being on campus all day, I always get hungry, and I'm always getting food.

this is more due to food choices / years of habit. it can be fixed.

Most of the time its a Cliff bar for a snack, and if I haven't brought my own food, I usually try to grab subway. Regardless, I want a more concrete diet. I did some shopping today, picked up 100% whole wheat bread, some shredded chicken, lettuce mix for salads, low fat yogurt, and some trail mix.

if you are dedicated to this, you should post a daily food log with rough quantities at minimum. I can help tell you if the food is doing you favors or not.

I'm not looking to get huge/ripped, right now I really want to burn my belly fat, but I'd like to build muscle along the way (I know its difficult and confusing for the body).

you aren't going to wake up one morning and be huge. It takes years of dedicated lifting & eating to get to that point. Lifting heavy (like discussed in the thread that solly linked) will only help your goals.

I know my routine isn't cutting it for me anymore, so I'm looking for as much input as possible, making a better schedule, and sticking to it 100%.
Have you read this: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=974441

I wrote it as a good precursor for discussion. I can help explain anything that is confusing
Old 05-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
DylloS

lol another comment about not wanting to get ripped or huge. OP, don't worry it's not going to happen like you may think.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
HyeWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
lol another comment about not wanting to get ripped or huge. OP, don't worry it's not going to happen like you may think.
Damn, unfortunately lol. I'm just saying my ideal objective is. I know guys who don't care to do cardio and just lift as much as possible, I don't want that lol.

Looks like I have some reading to do though. Thanks

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
Old 06-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
HyeWarrior

Is it counterproductive to do cardio right after a good lifting session? I've been reading and hearing mixed answers

Also, what is your guys' last meal of the day typically contain? I don't fall asleep until about 1 every night and I always get a massive hunger around midnight.

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
Old 06-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Is it counterproductive to do cardio right after a good lifting session? I've been reading and hearing mixed answers

Also, what is your guys' last meal of the day typically contain? I don't fall asleep until about 1 every night and I always get a massive hunger around midnight.
what is your goal with the cardio? to be better at cardio? otherwise its pointless imo

First off, if you are asking because you've read carbs are bad before bed... yeah that's just dumb. If you are hungry, and you are eating clean, healthy food (vegetables, meats, healthy fats, fruit/potatoes in that order of importance) then eat, your body is telling you something. That hunger could also be because you've been spiking your insulin all day with bad choices too. (pasta, bread, sugar/starch based anything off the shelf).. I don't know your diet but that stuff will fill you up then make you very very hungry later on. Midnight could just be that time after your previous meal where that happens.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI

Simply : calories spent exercising > calories in from food.

Eat a gram of protein for each pound you weigh and stay away from soda, alcohol, and junk food.

Water, chicken, beans, rice, vegetables.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
dabears

there's a lot more meat options than chicken breast prime rib, ground, tenderloin, ribeye, point cut for beef... breast, thighs, split, whole for chickens & turkeys, lamb, duck, bison, shrimp, any sort of wild fish, shellfish, pork shoulder/baby back ribs/side bacon/back bacon/regular bacon/chop ... list goes on Healthy living can be very delicious!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #10
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
solly, go to adams and get the yogurt covered almonds in the bulk candy section

fin addicting

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post

fin addicting
Lol I'm trying to avoid sugary foods now
Old 06-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post

fin addicting
yogurt covered raisins are also amazing
Old 06-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #13
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
there's a lot more meat options than chicken breast prime rib, ground, tenderloin, ribeye, point cut for beef... breast, thighs, split, whole for chickens & turkeys, lamb, duck, bison, shrimp, any sort of wild fish, shellfish, pork shoulder/baby back ribs/side bacon/back bacon/regular bacon/chop ... list goes on Healthy living can be very delicious!

True, BUT it's also the cheapest price point (..where meat is concerned) so you can eat MORE for your money.....and eating big is the ONLY way to get big. For those on a limited budget, prime rib, duck, bison, etc. are not viable options. Hell, a 12oz pack of bacon is often priced higher than 3 chicken breasts.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 06-04-2013 at 05:05 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
dabears

I think i'm in the minority where I would rather be of average size and eating well than big and living off chicken & rice lol. But good point, I often never factor cost into eating healthy... I sacrifice elsewhere personally

For me locally, pork is the cheapest ($20 for a 5lb bone in shoulder for example), followed by beef (depending on cut of course), then chicken. 2 lbs of bnls sknls chicken breast is $22 at the grocery store, where 2lbs of ground beef is $10. Even 2lb of a decent cut of ribeye, the most expensive steak cut, is $30.

In my mind everything I listed minus the more exotic cuts (bison, duck, lamb) and prepackaged bacon is really affordable. You get more calories out of fattier cuts too
Old 06-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
True, BUT it's also the cheapest price point (..where meat is concerned) so you can eat MORE for your money.....and eating big is the ONLY way to get big. For those on a limited budget, prime rib, duck, bison, etc. are not viable options. Hell, a 12oz pack of bacon is often priced higher than 3 chicken breasts.
Costco freezer section. The only way to go.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
dabears

frozen anything is a travesty :'(

I think I need to join some kind of food forum lol
Old 06-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #17
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Quote:
I think i'm in the minority where I would rather be of average size and eating well than big and living off chicken & rice lol. But good point, I often never factor cost into eating healthy... I sacrifice elsewhere personally

For me locally, pork is the cheapest ($20 for a 5lb bone in shoulder for example), followed by beef (depending on cut of course), then chicken. 2 lbs of bnls sknls chicken breast is $22 at the grocery store, where 2lbs of ground beef is $10. Even 2lb of a decent cut of ribeye, the most expensive steak cut, is $30.

In my mind everything I listed minus the more exotic cuts (bison, duck, lamb) and prepackaged bacon is really affordable. You get more calories out of fattier cuts too
I think you should re-word that statement. All of it can be considered eating "healthy" or eating well (..eating lots of chicken, greens, nuts, etc. is just as healthy as an elaborately cooked healthy meal; it's a matter of fanciful presentation). What I think you meant was the cost of "variety".

P.S. Not everybody wants fattier meats. I think you just a higher than average fat consumption.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 06-04-2013 at 06:23 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #18
dabears

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I think you should re-word that statement. All of it can be considered eating "healthy" or eating well (..eating lots of chicken, greens, nuts, etc. is just as healthy as an elaborately cooked healthy meal; it's a matter of fanciful presentation). What I think you meant was the cost of "variety".

P.S. Not everybody wants fattier meats. I think you just a higher than average fat consumption.
Yes I will reword that to variety you are correct.

That being said, without variety I wouldn't eat healthy. I've tried countless times to eat standard bodybuilding diet 90% of the time, and it isn't for me. Luckily there's plenty of options for all of us
Old 06-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #19
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Lol I'm trying to avoid sugary foods now
you don't drink milk?

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
Old 06-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #20
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
yogurt covered raisins are also amazing
perhaps, i can't stand raisins ,lol

Quote: