E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.08 average. Display Modes
Old 08-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #61
Entropyyy

My Ride: 03 325xi 5 speed
Here's What Suspension to Buy.

Question: would coils be more smart to go with since it snows in ny fairly often in the winter ? Or will I have a good amount of clearance for snow

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Entropyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #62
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropyyy View Post
Question: would coils be more smart to go with since it snows in ny fairly often in the winter ? Or will I have a good amount of clearance for snow
Coilovers will not go well in a lot of snow. I'd stick with either OEM or Eibachs. Good luck.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #63
Entropyyy

My Ride: 03 325xi 5 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Coilovers will not go well in a lot of snow. I'd stick with either OEM or Eibachs. Good luck.
Why won't coils be good in snow? Since I could raise/lower them

Entropyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #64
SamDoe1

Re: Here's What Suspension to Buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropyyy View Post
Why won't coils be good in snow? Since I could raise/lower them

You would need an alignment every time you changed the ride height. If that's something you want to do then go for it.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #65
paullfisher

My Ride: 2005 325i
Send a message via MSN to paullfisher
One thing I figured out today. The rear upper spring pad part # you have are for the normal spring pads. My car had the 'rough road' upper spring pads which are about 15 mm thick.

Since I had ordered the thin ones, those are the ones I put in.

It is just something to be aware of.

The part # for the 'thick' upper rear spring pads is 33531094754.

2005 325i

2003 325xi (wife's car)
  • Eibach
  • Koni Sport

Last edited by paullfisher; 09-09-2013 at 10:17 AM.
paullfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #66
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullfisher View Post
One thing I figured out today. The rear upper spring pad part # you have are for the normal spring pads. My car had the 'rough road' upper spring pads which are about 15 mm thick.

Since I had ordered the thin ones, those are the ones I put in.

It is just something to be aware of.

The part # for the 'thick' upper rear spring pads is 33531094754.
Thanks! Many people prefer the smaller spring pad for it's lowering effects but I will add this to the PN list.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #67
tchaul31

My Ride: 325Xi E46 2001
Hello,

I installed Koni sport:
8741-1481RSPORT x1
8741-1481LSPORT x1
8040-1343SPORT x2

with Eibach pro-Kit springs on my 325xi 2001, last week-end (see picture)
I changed also strut mounts, spring pads, bump stops ...

The daily driving is perfect for me, more firm that OEM, but I found the OEM too soft, and the car stay comfortable and absolutely not harsh.

My concern is about the drop.
Currently on the front, I see a drop of 0.3 inch, only
The drop should be about 1" or 1.5" ...

My bump stop are new, and I didn't cut ...
the first post suggest to buy new bump stop
Quote:
31336752832 - Front Bump Stop x2 (Optional)
and
Quote:
cut approximately 0.75" if you are lowering the car.
but I found this post after my installation.

So i have a couple of question about my configuration:
- is the bumper stop's height the only one responsible of the gap ?
- is it possible to cut the bump stop with the springs installed ?

I a little bit afraid to cut the bump stop, to see after the hat hitting the perch like on this other thread:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1001019

So I would be sure, to make not any mistake.

Thank you in advance for all information that you could give me on this issue,
and sorry for my english _nr_
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0888.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	525740  
tchaul31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #68
paullfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaul31 View Post
So i have a couple of question about my configuration:
- is the bumper stop's height the only one responsible of the gap ?
- is it possible to cut the bump stop with the springs installed ?

The bump stops have nothing to do with the ride height. They only come into play when the suspension is compressed.

I wouldn't bother cutting them.

As for ride height, are you sure the front strut is bottomed in the knuckle?

2005 325i

2003 325xi (wife's car)
  • Eibach
  • Koni Sport
Old 09-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #69
tchaul31

Thank you paullfisher for your answer.

I already seen this video before installing my suspension.
For me the spring is correctly installed on the shock absorber (right position and right orientation), and the shock absorber is correctly bottomed into the knuckle, because I checked with my fingers, and if my understanding is correct we can't reinstall the screw in the knuckle if the strut isn't in the right position (due to the "notch" on the end of the strut, like on the enclosed picture).

The Eibach pro-kit should drop more than 1" on the front, and I note currently 0.3"; so I find the gap very big, and I don't know exactly where the 0.75" can be hidden ?

Konis sport are adjustable, but only for + or - firm, and don't play on the height, only springs lower the car.

I'm wrong ?
which other way can I explore ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	koni-e46xi-01.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	525911  
Old 09-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #70
SamDoe1

Quote:

For me the spring is correctly installed on the shock absorber (right position and right orientation), and the shock absorber is correctly bottomed into the knuckle, because I checked with my fingers, and if my understanding is correct we can't reinstall the screw in the knuckle if the strut isn't in the right position (due to the "notch" on the end of the strut, like on the enclosed picture).

The Eibach pro-kit should drop more than 1" on the front, and I note currently 0.3"; so I find the gap very big, and I don't know exactly where the 0.75" can be hidden ?

Konis sport are adjustable, but only for + or - firm, and don't play on the height, only springs lower the car.

I'm wrong ?
If you installed everything correctly, then the drop should initially be ~0.5" before everything settles down and then approximately 0.75" to 1.0" after a week or so. Also, have you driven the car at all since you did the work or did you just lower it down and look at it?

Cutting the bump stops isn't so much for ride height but for additional suspension travel. Reasoning behind cutting new stops is because they don't make shorter ones unless you buy aftermarket.

You are right that Koni adjustment is only for stiffness and not for ride height.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 09-10-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #71
paullfisher

Quote:

I'm wrong ?
Good.

The thing to remember, the drop is 1" for a brand new original equipment spring. So... depending on how many miles and years and such, the original spring lost some of its tension and drooped. If you have all that, Not sure what else to do to drop it further other than coil overs, which aren't available as far as I know for the xi vehicles.

2005 325i

2003 325xi (wife's car)
  • Eibach
  • Koni Sport
Old 09-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #72
tchaul31

Ok SamDoe1 and paullfisher,
the answer is may be here.

I installed new konis+Eibachs last week-end, and I have drove about 30 miles ...
I will see in 1 week, and I will wait to make a lot of miles before to compare again.

I will let you informed here.

Thank you again.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #73
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Quote:
Ok SamDoe1 and paullfisher,
the answer is may be here.

I installed new konis+Eibachs last week-end, and I have drove about 30 miles ...
I will see in 1 week, and I will wait to make a lot of miles before to compare again.

I will let you informed here.

Thank you again.
FYI...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...006&highlight=

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS Sway bars, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TSX Projector retrofit, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills
bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #74
tchaul31

thank you bimmernate for your link !

I have had a look this week-end on my suspension, and here my feedback

- my (old) EOM BMW bump stop (31336752832) measured: 2.8" (7cm)
- the new SKF bump stop (VKDP 33800 T) measured: 3.1" (8cm)

I cutted them 0.8" (2cm) and now they measured: 2.4" (6cm)
and the result is that my car have lowered 0.4" (1cm)
Total: 0.3"+0.4"=0.7"

In the different posts I saw that I should cut the bump stop about 0.75" or 1",
but it's from the EOM BMW height, so I think I will cut again about 0.2" or 0.4".

I will post here the result after this change.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #75
macman.ca

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325xi
What's the general concencus on airbag suspension kits? I know they can be very expensive, but how do they handle with regards to body roll and overall handling on average to slightly rougher roads? Also, if an alignment is required everytime you adjust the ride height with coilovers, then wouldn't the same apply to airbag suspension?

Thanks,
Carl
macman.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #76
alonsoh94

My Ride: E46 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Back to the top, lots of suspension questions lately...
Hey I got a question. I have a 02 325i sport package and I am looking into buying the koni fsd kit with the eibach pro kit springs. What are your opinions on this set up and well it lower it fine or will I need to do any modifications to anything?

alonsoh94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #77
jxs0402

My Ride: 03 330xi
I see that ECS Tuning just dropped their price on the FK Silverline Coilover System. I was wondering if anyone had purchased this and what they thought. Last week this set up was $849 w/free shipping. This week they have it listed for $632.69 w/free shipping.

I have always had great luck w/this company but this mod i would like some feedback on before i complete this.

Thanks

Last edited by jxs0402; 11-04-2013 at 04:15 PM.
jxs0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #78
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman.ca View Post
What's the general concencus on airbag suspension kits? I know they can be very expensive, but how do they handle with regards to body roll and overall handling on average to slightly rougher roads? Also, if an alignment is required everytime you adjust the ride height with coilovers, then wouldn't the same apply to airbag suspension?

Thanks,
Carl
I'm not sure anyone here has installed airbags onto an E46, let alone an Xi model. I would avoid this, if you want a lowrider I would invest in a much different car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonsoh94 View Post
Hey I got a question. I have a 02 325i sport package and I am looking into buying the koni fsd kit with the eibach pro kit springs. What are your opinions on this set up and well it lower it fine or will I need to do any modifications to anything?

Should be fine and you won't need any modifications, I would ask this question in the General forum or the suspension forum as the RWD suspension is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxs0402 View Post
I see that ECS Tuning just dropped their price on the Silverline Coilover System. I was wondering if anyone had purchased this and what they thought. Last week this set up was $849 w/free shipping. This week they have it listed for $632.69 w/free shipping.

Thanks
No experience on that brand.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #79
CK325

My Ride: 323Ci, 325xi
Last I remember some member was trying to sell the brand after about half year of use and they were all rusted and whatnot already. Not sure if I remember the brand right but I think that's what it was..
Old 11-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #80
neutron325

My Ride: 03 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman.ca View Post

Thanks,
Carl
I'm also interested in an airbag setup, and not for a "Low rider".

My ideal would be to have the air ride set up so that the car is normally about 1" lower than stock. I would align it for that height. The air suspension would give me the option of raising the car to navigate places like my parent dirt driveway, and getting unstuck from the snow. It would also allow my to compensate for weight in the trunk and on my trailer (yes I have a hitch mounted, please don't flame me for that).

People are slowly coming around on the idea of air suspension being sporty and not just for low riders. If I could find some suitable airsprings to retrofit to the front struts, building bag mounts for the rear would be pretty simple. Ultimately I would like to build my own controller using a canbus PLC for automatic ride height adjustment based on speed and uneven loading.