E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #121
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
HTC One

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.dstrukt.n1ne View Post
Exactly that. Criticize Apple all you want, but they do know how to make a phone as smooth as butter.

LTE doesn't support voice, so it will always drop down to 4G HSPA+ when you're on a call.
Keep in mind that every LTE Android phone does LTE + Voice. The reason the iPhone doesn't is Apple, not a technological limitation.

Also, I found this:

http://lockergnome.net/questions/204...-ios-so-smooth

Interesting read. Basically iOS is built on C+ and works direct with hardware; whereas Android is built on Java and everything operates within a virtual machine that interacts with the hardware.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 08-29-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #122
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Virtual machine? How is that a good idea

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #123
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Re: HTC One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Virtual machine? How is that a good idea
I know one reason is basically universal compatibility. Android can be run on other CPU architectures besides ARM with minimal work involved (apps don't have to be rewritten for the most part). I had a 4.0 ICS build running on my laptop once (x86). There may be some optimizations involved, but apparently it's no big deal to port it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #124
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
That makes sense. I guess since they knew Android wouldn't be a model-specific OS that was the best way to implement it.

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #125
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i

All this computer language. I bought it because I don't like how Apple basically gives the consumer zero choice. Glass screens to keep selling them, changing chargers to resell more of them. My 4s was a POS. Quarter of the screen just quit working for no reason. Battery was terrible.

So far, liking the One. Still getting used to typing on it, though.

Oh, Verizon wanted $10.99 a month for insurance, $199 deductible. I laughed out loud at the salesman.

Sent from my HTC One using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #126
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

My Ride: AC Schnitzer E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
Keep in mind that every LTE Android phone does LTE + Voice. The reason the iPhone doesn't is Apple, not a technological limitation.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...telephony_apps

http://www.talkandroid.com/161675-at...ice-this-year/

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/09...n-testing-now/

http://www.imore.com/att-start-suppo...ice-later-year

"The recommended speech codec for VoLTE is HD Voice. Though none of the major U.S. telcos support HD Voice, they’re all over it. In the meantime, hacked carrier updates enable HD Voice on an AT&T, Verizon and Sprint."

"HD Voice requires both handset support and network support. The iPhone 5 is compatible with HD Voice, but so far that's restricted to only a few, mainly European carriers. AT&T's HD Voice isn't the same technology those European carriers have implemented, however, it's using Voice over LTE (VoLTE)."

--------------

In theory any phone could do VoLTE with the proper software update. VoLTE is basically voice over IP, it uses the phone's data connection instead of a separate voice network. It would just be integrated into the phone's OS - you'd use the normal calling function instead of a special app, you'd use your regular phone number, and presumably it'd be billed as voice minutes instead of regular data usage.

One thing that interests me about VoLTE is there's no reason it couldn't be used over a regular Internet connection, meaning we might be able to make calls over WiFi without having to use a network extender. I get no service in my house so I have a network extender for calls and SMS, but it's really flakey and I wish I could just use WiFi. (We'll see if the carriers end up allowing this.)"

Oregon, USA

2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

_.dstrukt.n1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 AM   #127
jeffro3000

I think what he means is that Android phones on Verizon have dual radios and antennas that can act independently to provide voice and LTE at the same time.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #128
jeffro3000

My gf has a couple different VOIP apps that tie into her Google Voice number (to keep from using minutes since she only has the 100 minute plan). They work well over wifi, but quality can get iffy on mobile data if you don't have a strong signal.

The biggest problem with the apps that do this now is CPU wake locks. Basically, if the phone is in a sleep state, calls won't come in until maybe the last ring or voice mail. You can fix this by telling the app to keep the CPU awake, but this is a big drain on battery.

I'd be interested to see how carriers deal with this when they implement VoLTE officially. I'm sure it won't be an issue then.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #129
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
I think what he means is that Android phones on Verizon have dual radios and antennas that can act independently to provide voice and LTE at the same time.

No, they don't because VZW hasn't implemented VoLTE yet. It will start during the first half of 2014.

Oregon, USA

2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

Old 08-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #130
bry330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post

Also, I found this:

http://lockergnome.net/questions/204...-ios-so-smooth

Interesting read. Basically iOS is built on C+ and works direct with hardware; whereas Android is built on Java and everything operates within a virtual machine that interacts with the hardware.
makes sense now.
bry330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #131
jeffro3000

Quote:
No, they don't because VZW hasn't implemented VoLTE yet. It will start during the first half of 2014.
Voice over LTE and being able to do voice and LTE at the same time are two different things accomplished in different ways. The latter is currently done by using multiple radios. When VoLTE debuts, that won't be necessary any more.

Simultaneous voice and LTE has been around ever since the first LTE phone, the ThunderBolt. I had one, it worked.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #132
b0bab0i

My Ride: x
HTC Mini+

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/30/h...etch-hands-on/
Old 08-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #133
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
^looks like a cool; albeit useless piece of technology

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
all cash
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #134
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Voice over LTE and being able to do voice and LTE at the same time are two different things accomplished in different ways. The latter is currently done by using multiple radios. When VoLTE debuts, that won't be necessary any more.

Simultaneous voice and LTE has been around ever since the first LTE phone, the ThunderBolt. I had one, it worked.

Yes, that's correct, but you are mistaken about the Thunderbolt; it was the first Verizon phone to do voice+data, but it was over 3G, not LTE. LTE was data only and when you made a call, it would drop to 3G.

http://phandroid.com/2011/01/26/htc-...ce-data-on-3g/

Oregon, USA

Old 09-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #135
rorschach

My Ride: '01 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
^looks like a cool; albeit useless piece of technology
While definitely redundant, it won't be useless. Like with any new tech right now, if the market segment doesn't exist, it will be created and the thing will sell..
rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #136
jeffro3000

Quote:
Yes, that's correct, but you are mistaken about the Thunderbolt; it was the first Verizon phone to do voice+data, but it was over 3G, not LTE. LTE was data only and when you made a call, it would drop to 3G.

That was more of a pre release rumor. The final product had it. The way they got LTE into the early phones was taking a 3g phone and shoving in an LTE antenna and modem, so both sets of hardware were basically separate. This is why it was so much less efficient than later ones that had the modem built into the Qualcomm chip.

Quote:
To achieve simultaneous voice and data, Verizon has focused on SVLTE, which we first saw on its very first LTE phone, the HTC Thunderbolt in March 2011. (The Thunderbolt actually did more than SVLTE, but we'll just gloss past that.) SVLTE requires separate antennas and runs two connections at once: the LTE connection transmits data while a separate 2G/3G connection makes the phone call. Almost all of Verizon's 4G phones so far have had this separate-antenna, multiple-connection layout, so they've been able to do SVLTE.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409716,00.asp

Old 09-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #137
SteveFromNY

My Ride: Audi Q5, 330i ZHP
Quote:
I have both the iPhone 5 and the HTC One and they have their pros and cons.

I installed CyanogenMod 10.1 and the phone performs much better than the stock firmware (not to mention all the bloatware that comes with the phone from the carrier)

My favorite thing to do with my HTC One is this:

How do you update the nightly releases of Cyanogenmod? Do you just install right on top of the old nightly?
SteveFromNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #138
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveFromNY View Post
How do you update the nightly releases of Cyanogenmod? Do you just install right on top of the old nightly?
There are stable releases now. Go ahead and install them over what you have, and then wipe the cache in recovery.

Oregon, USA

Old 09-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #139
SteveFromNY

My Ride: Audi Q5, 330i ZHP
Quote:
There are stable releases now. Go ahead and install them over what you have, and then wipe the cache in recovery.
Only reason I went with the 10.2 nightly's is because they have the Focal Camera App. I don't see any stable 10.2 releases unless Im looking in the wrong place, I'm a n00b to Andriod.

http://get.cm/?device=m7att

So when I install a new version of Cyan... on top of another, does that wipe out all my programs and settings? Is there a way to back that up?

I've checked online and people have said that every once in a while, they like to do a clean Cyan... install so they wipe their phone before installing it. Is Titanium backup the way to do this so I can restore my apps and settings?

Thanks!
SteveFromNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #140
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Quote:

I had a Thunderbolt and I could use its hotspot for 2 devices(Laptop & PS3) and talk on the phone simultaneously it always stayed at 4gLTE.
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote