E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #41
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
And I have to ask, did you grow up like Tarzan out in the wild with no parents?
You ask that question like you think it's absurd.

Have you ever tried to have a conversation with Joe's parents?

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #42
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
I'd love to see some of you start out from scratch. No mummy/daddy/grampy to feed you, house you, pay your way or otherwise hook you up. Most of you would fall flat on your faces. You wouldn't even know where to start if you hadn't been coddled your entire lives.
Get over it. Some people started out in a good situation and don't need to work at walmart.

Some people need to start out at walmart and work their way up / past the point in their life where they are working minimum wage jobs. Others get a minimum wage job and expect to have an iPhone, the latest Jordans, be able to feed their kids, and every cable TV station available on our planet. The latter is the group that needs to reset their expectations if they continue to settle for having minimum wage jobs. Want more stuff? Work two jobs or get trained for a job that will pay above minimum wage. Invest in yourself and stop expecting others to hand you things that skilled workers are able to afford.

Heck, there was a guy that posted a thread yesterday about making minimum wage yet had a house, 2 BMWs (1 SC M3), multiple bikes, etc at the expense of furniture and other things. It isn't the best financial decision, but he couldn't be in a position to do that without working hard and thinking through his priorities based on his financial ability. Granted, he lived in the backwoods of OH, not outside of DC, but the principle is the same. If someone can't achieve their goals they are likely not putting forth enough effort to achieve them.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #43
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Re: Walmart Fighting Bill That Would Grant Living Wage to Employees in D.C.

Quote:
And I have to ask, did you grow up like Tarzan out in the wild with no parents?
Negative. He grew up coddled like everyone else. He likes to act like he had it all rough but it's pretty easy to see through the manufactured truth.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #44
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
Quote:
I'd love to see some of you start out from scratch. No mummy/daddy/grampy to feed you, house you, pay your way or otherwise hook you up. Most of you would fall flat on your faces. You wouldn't even know where to start if you hadn't been coddled your entire lives.
I would've but do you know how difficult it is to run a lemonade stand? I gotta get licenses, certifications, hire an accountant because the IRS thinks I'm a liar, blablaba

Last edited by kaboo0m; 05-14-2013 at 04:24 PM.
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #45
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Heck, there was a guy that posted a thread yesterday about making minimum wage yet had a house, 2 BMWs (1 SC M3), multiple bikes, etc at the expense of furniture and other things.
And you're dumb enough to think that he achieved all that with nothing more than a minimum wage job?

That's less than $300 a week after taxes.

Do the math.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #46
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
Negative. He grew up coddled like everyone else. He likes to act like he had it all rough but it's pretty easy to see through the manufactured truth.

I was lucky enough to spend summers with my grandmother in rural Alabama. She retired from teaching when i was 10 and took a job as a state welfare case worker. I was allowed to ride along when she checked on her cases, and saw a lot of things that you whitebread types will never be able to comprehend - like 5 kids and one adult living in a two-room shack, miles from the nearest anything.

Do you honstly think that those people had the same chances that you & your lily white upbringing had?

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #47
5ynd1cat3

Quote:
I was lucky enough to spend summers with my grandmother in rural Alabama. She retired from teaching when i was 10 and took a job as a state welfare case worker. I was allowed to ride along when she checked on her cases, and saw a lot of things that you whitebread types will never be able to comprehend - like 5 kids and one adult living in a two-room shack, miles from the nearest anything.

Do you honstly think that those people had the same chances that you & your lily white upbringing had?
So you're assuming I'm white? I proclaim you bigot if the week.

Edit: I'm also the product of a single mother. Have 3 sisters and a brother, too. Our shack was 3 rooms if you count the bathroom. We turned out fine except for one of my sisters. Eat a d!ck.

Last edited by 5ynd1cat3; 05-14-2013 at 04:42 PM.
5ynd1cat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #48
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Regardless of how you start out in life, it is up to you to make something of yourself.

ANYONE can get promoted after taking a minimum wage job. Have you ever dealt with a WalMart manager? They are not making minimum wage. Within a few years, anyone can EARN their way into a $30-$40k job at WalMart.

While we are at it...ANYONE can go to college part time too. As a matter of fact, the worse the situation you are in, the EASIER it is to go to college with no money upfront. Grants, loans, etc.

Do your job at minimum wage, be proactive, go to college part time, and you will not be minimum wage long.

This is America people!

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #49
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:

Edit: I'm also the product of a single mother. Have 3 sisters and a brother, too. Our shack was 3 rooms if you count the bathroom. We turned out fine except for one of my sisters. Eat a d!ck.
When did i say you're white?

You think you're "fine"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post
Regardless of how you start out in life, it is up to you to make something of yourself.

ANYONE can get promoted after taking a minimum wage job. Have you ever dealt with a WalMart manager? They are not making minimum wage. Within a few years, anyone can EARN their way into a $30-$40k job at WalMart.

While we are at it...ANYONE can go to college part time too. As a matter of fact, the worse the situation you are in, the EASIER it is to go to college with no money upfront. Grants, loans, etc.

Do your job at minimum wage, be proactive, go to college part time, and you will not be minimum wage long.

This is America people!
Sure thing, champ. You live on a rural road in the middle of nowhere with your brokeass mother and five siblings. How are you going to 'make it' if you're never been to school, have no education, no money, no car, and no concept of the outside world?

Pop that bubble. We don't all have the same opportunities (no matter how many times you tell that lie).

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #50
kaboo0m

Quote:

My entire family immigrated here by boat. 4 households (a total of 16 family members) shacked up in a 3 bedroom 2 bath single story home in San Francisco for 6 years. My brother and I were born 4 years into their arrival making 18 members in one house.

Parents with a 8th grade education busted their ass earning below wage but were smart enough to save, work, and learn their way up. They became restaurant owners and propelled my immediate family out of poverty by the time I entered 1st grade.

Hard for LAIR to believe but social mobility does exist beyond what you witnessed while interning with granny. I'm sure many first generation immigrants on this board share similar backgrounds

Last edited by kaboo0m; 05-14-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #51
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:

Sure thing, champ. You live on a rural road in the middle of nowhere with your brokeass mother and five siblings. How are you going to 'make it' if you're never been to school, have no education, no money, no car, and no concept of the outside world?

Pop that bubble. We don't all have the same opportunities (no matter how many times you tell that lie).
So, what's the excuse for those living in a giant urban center like Washington D.C.?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #52
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
So, what's the excuse for those living in a giant urban center like Washington D.C.?
It won't make a bit of difference if you live in DC and nobody reaches you.

If you're raised by idiots and surrounded by idiots 24/7, chances are you're going to be an idiot.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:56 PM   #53
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboo0m View Post
Hard for LAIR to believe but social mobility does exist beyond what you witnessed while interning with granny. I'm sure many first generation immigrants on this board share similar backgrounds
Yeah?

What's the difference between your parents and a family that lives in the rural US? Did your parents just magically wind up in this country? How did they know they would have a chance here?

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #54
kaboo0m

don't really understand what you're trying to get at but I will humor you.

My parents grew up in rural communist china. Not the China you know now, but the poor China that supposedly had social nets and "equality" yet failed to provide a stable living standard because of scarce resources and egotistical central planners.

They knew they had a chance here because economic freedom was obviously more available in North America than in China so they risked everything and it paid off.

Now comparing a rural family to my family's situation almost makes it seem like you are advocating for trivial 1st world problems and discounting their capacity to think for and advance themselves

Last edited by kaboo0m; 05-14-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #55
5ynd1cat3

Quote:
If you're raised by idiots and surrounded by idiots 24/7, chances are you're going to be an idiot.
So what's your excuse?

Old 05-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #56
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
So what's your excuse?

I live in a red state. I've been talking to people like you too long.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #57
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Walmart Fighting Bill That Would Grant Living Wage to Employees in D.C.

Who on earth thinks $11.75 an hour is a living wage in D.C.? Is this based on an 80 hour week?

Old 05-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #58
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboo0m View Post
don't really understand what you're trying to get at but I will humor you.

My parents grew up in rural communist china. Not the China you know now, but the poor China that supposedly had social nets and "equality" yet failed to provide a stable living standard because of scarce resources and egotistical central planners.

They knew they had a chance here because economic freedom was obviously more available in North America than in China so they risked everything and it paid off.

Now comparing a rural family to my family's situation almost makes it seem like you are advocating for trivial 1st world problems and discounting their capacity to think for and advance themselves
At some point, somebody gave your parents the idea and motivated them to get out and try something else. If that had not happened, you'd be speaking Chinese instead of flawless English.

They didn't come up with that idea on their own.

I'm not discounting anyone. I'm pointing out the inequity between indigent rural Joe Schmoe and metropolitan Joe Whitebread College who pooh-poohs the idea of an increased minimum wage.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #59
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
It won't make a bit of difference if you live in DC and nobody reaches you.

So, because of this it's Walmarts responsibility to pay them more?

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #60
Lair
Modded ///Member

Quote:
So, because of this it's Walmarts responsibility to pay them more?
No. It's Walmart's responsibility to monopolize the local markets and crush any opportunity for a better future for their employees.

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.