E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Thinking of going back to a hypertrophy program

I want to look more like I workout and I think in the past two years my best stretch was from around jan-march when I did more of a hypertrophy routine. I have filled out and gotten stronger but I want bigger muscles and to be quite honest I'm still ashamed of my legs lol.

I need help coming up with something.

-I want to start today and do something that cycles every 5-6 days.

-I want to be in the gym for about an hour. Not too much more so I would probably like a 4 day split. Something like this Mon, Tues, Wed off, Thurs, Friday, Say off, Sunday on and repeat. 2 on 1 off.

-Given that I have a home gym I am limited to barbell work, pull ups, dips etc. No machines. I have a lot of stuff so most suggestions will workout just fine.

My goal is to really hammer my muscles. I work hard now and feel exhausted when I'm done but I want to feel the burn that a typical split provides.

I'm probably like a Chest/Tri, Legs, Shoulders, Back/Bi routine but open for suggestions.
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
XKxRome0ox
Black and Proud

My Ride: is totaled
Post nudes so we can better evaluate

[bimmerapp]

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave
Fill that hole in your soul by buying more material goods
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=15286051
buy my sedan rear seats (gray leather)

sell me sedan A pillars!! (black fabric)
XKxRome0ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
You've seen my progress thread, I went from a fat slob to a fat slob with some muscle, using the below and going as heavy as I can, usually low rep sets at high weight

Chest

BB flat bench
BB incline
Dumbbell flies
Dips

Shoulders

Standing BB press
Seated BB press
Seated behind head BB press
Upright BB rows
Shrugs

Back

DLs
Pendalay rows
Wide/close grip pull downs/pull-ups
Some trap work

Legs

Squats
Front squats
Weighted lunges
Calf raises
RDLs
Old 07-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
DylloS

I like that but I couldn't be able to do shoulders after chest day
Old 07-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Is your bench maneuverable? Such as to include incline or decline bench positions?

I like this idea, for reasons we've been texting about. I find that when I'm at my shitty ass gym, the BB work is the core of what I'm trying to do, the machine etc are simply for when I'm trying to really burnout isolated muscle groups and do 3 sets of 15 reps with linear form etc.

Your split looks pretty good to me, the only thing I'd say is that for days where you're combining compound + arms, it would probably take your more than an hour alone to get a full workout in for both. I know they go hand in hand with each other, but I'm just thinking that THAT is the reason I have a dedicated arm day, so I can spend an hour and 20 minutes on just arms alone and really crush them in hopes that on compound days, I'll have stronger arms to assist in those exercises.

I can't remember but do you own dumbbells? If so that would be perfect and could easily replace a lot of machines you're referring to. The money you save driving a Cube instead of a BMW should allow you to pick up some DB's

Here is what I can think of what I would do in your split:
Chest / Tri
Flat BB Bench, Flat DB bench for isolation and burn, Incline BB bench, Incline DB bench, decline dips with your rings, DB Pec flies, behind the head DB tricep raises, possibly even skull crushers with DBs, regular tricep dips, and maybe sets of concluding push ups to really just finish off your chest / tris

Back / Bi
Deadlift, BB rows, BB landmine rows, DB rows, pullups, etc. BB curls, DB curls, concentration curls, bunch of stuff

Legs: Squat B/F, BB lunges, BB Calf raises, box jumps? tire flipping in your yard, etc a bunch of options

Shoulders: BB Press (try to beat my 300lb standing press record ) DB military press for isolation, DB shrugs until you can't lift them anymore, BB upright rows, BB shrugs, cleans snatches and push presses etc.

Its all possible man and I think you can get a great routine going. Just gotta buy some DB's if you don't have them already.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
just do everything I do. My legs are massive dude.. its a great problem to have, though. Unless you are buying jeans/pants, then it sucks. Cardio strength training FTW!

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 07-01-2013 at 01:16 PM.
BreakMyWallet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #7
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I want to look more like I workout and I think in the past two years my best stretch was from around jan-march when I did more of a hypertrophy routine. I have filled out and gotten stronger but I want bigger muscles and to be quite honest I'm still ashamed of my legs lol.

I need help coming up with something.

-I want to start today and do something that cycles every 5-6 days.

-I want to be in the gym for about an hour. Not too much more so I would probably like a 4 day split. Something like this Mon, Tues, Wed off, Thurs, Friday, Say off, Sunday on and repeat. 2 on 1 off.

-Given that I have a home gym I am limited to barbell work, pull ups, dips etc. No machines. I have a lot of stuff so most suggestions will workout just fine.

My goal is to really hammer my muscles. I work hard now and feel exhausted when I'm done but I want to feel the burn that a typical split provides.

I'm probably like a Chest/Tri, Legs, Shoulders, Back/Bi routine but open for suggestions.
Welcome to the dark side.
4 or 5 day split would be great. It will depend if you want a separate day for arms. There really are so many different options!

Back
Chest
Legs
Shoulders
(Arms)

You can rest after back day or chest day, so that you are fully rested for squats. I would rest after back day because you do still use some back muscles with bench. I have found great success with this program. JMO, YMMV.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #8
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #9
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Welcome to the dark side.
4 or 5 day split would be great. It will depend if you want a separate day for arms. There really are so many different options!

Back
Chest
Legs
Shoulders
(Arms)

You can rest after back day or chest day, so that you are fully rested for squats. I would rest after back day because you do still use some back muscles with bench. I have found great success with this program. JMO, YMMV.

That's probably what I would do. I'll have to play around with it and see exactly what movements id do.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
bgsmith

Quote:
I like that but I couldn't be able to do shoulders after chest day
Was just listing what exercises I do, my rotation is back, then shoulders, then legs, then chest. With with work I've only been able to get in the gym 4 times a week the last couple weeks.

Ideally I would like to hit each muscle group 3 times every 2 weeks but that hasn't been working out.
Old 07-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
We all have our strong and weak muscle groups. The static split mentioned in the thread works but it's not the most efficient. IMO too many rest days for a single muscle group.

I like this one where you can pick which muscle group to focus on, rotate as needed:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...oulders/monday
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Was just listing what exercises I do, my rotation is back, then shoulders, then legs, then chest. With with work I've only been able to get in the gym 4 times a week the last couple weeks.

Ideally I would like to hit each muscle group 3 times every 2 weeks but that hasn't been working out.
that's exactly what I want to do.

Tonight is shoulders and I'll probably do this

3x max rep hand stand push ups
3x10 Overhead press
3x15 Side raises
3x10 hang clean and press
3x20 shrugs

I think that should be a decent shoulder workout. Opinions?
Old 07-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
Sensi09

My Ride: __
I'd do the overhead press first and do some heavier lower rep sets....then finish with some 10 rep sets at the end.
Sensi09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensi09 View Post
I'd do the overhead press first and do some heavier lower rep sets....then finish with some 10 rep sets at the end.
Yeah I always start with standing OHP and go as heavy as I can.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #15
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Do hand stands second. Add a rear delt exercise with DBs. You have too many pressing shoulder exercises, I would replace one with face-pulls or wide grip BB rows.

Quote:
that's exactly what I want to do.

Tonight is shoulders and I'll probably do this

3x max rep hand stand push ups
3x10 Overhead press
3x15 Side raises
3x10 hang clean and press
3x20 shrugs

I think that should be a decent shoulder workout. Opinions?

Last edited by z00; 07-01-2013 at 05:01 PM.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #16
DylloS

I do hspu first because If not I am toast by the time I get to ohp. Usually I'd agree but I can get a lot more hspu this way and it doesn't affect the amount of presses I get
Old 07-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #17
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
bgsmiths exercise selection + 10-12 rep range x 3-4 sets should give you the results you are looking for?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #18
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD

Quote:
That's probably what I would do. I'll have to play around with it and see exactly what movements id do.
You can also add triceps with shoulders instead of chest, etc.

Great thing is there's so much variety you can do to make it something you like.

BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
dafuq! Why didn't my Terry Crews Euro Training video work?!

In all seriousness though, why not follow a routine that incorporates both power / strength based and hypertrophy styles? This can easily be achievable with just about any solid routine by varying the reps, sets, intensity, etc... For example, making the starting major compound lift your main focus on strength with working sets in the 3-5 rep range. Followed by assistance lifts with higher rep ranges and so forth.

Or if you prefer sticking to dedicated strength and dedicated hypertrophy days, you could follow a lower / upper routine, or even PHAT training.
-Heavy Lower
-Heavy Upper
-Off
-Hypertrophy Lower
-Hypertrophy Upper
-Off

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
dafuq! Why didn't my Terry Crews Euro Training video work?!

In all seriousness though, why not follow a routine that incorporates both power / strength based and hypertrophy styles? This can easily be achievable with just about any solid routine by varying the reps, sets, intensity, etc... For example, making the starting major compound lift your main focus on strength with working sets in the 3-5 rep range. Followed by assistance lifts with higher rep ranges and so forth.

Or if you prefer sticking to dedicated strength and dedicated hypertrophy days, you could follow a lower / upper routine, or even PHAT training.
-Heavy Lower
-Heavy Upper
-Off
-Hypertrophy Lower
-Hypertrophy Upper
-Off
This is pretty much my goal. Most days will be my heavier compound lifts then I'll do the lighter higher rep accessory stuff. This will be todays arm workout. Let me know if it sucks or not lol

30 Chin ups
3x10 Barbell Curls
3x15 Hammer Curls
3x8 Close Grip Bench Press
3x15 Ring Dips
3x10 Skull Crushers
4x25 Seated Dips

Last edited by DylloS; 07-02-2013 at 01:32 PM.