E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
imapimp

My Ride: 2002.5 AV6 6MT 04M3
HPF Fuel issue (Out of Gas at 1/4 Tank---Fuel Cutoff at 6k)

I have a stage 3 HPF/ProEFI turbo system on my car that I usually run E85.
I know my two inline fuel pumps are walbro 255lph not sure what is in tank yet...maybe someone might know.

Anyways, I do know at 1/4 tank of gas (whether E85 or 93oct) I am out of gas but not necessarily empty in the tank.

When I get on it or on dyno for tuning the car runs out of fuel at 6k rpms and fuel is cut off (or so that is how I understand it) and the car bucks then goes again.

Have tried getting this as well as a long, long list of issues fixed as Chris didn't want to make anything work with the ProEFI system, etc.

Lot of BS. But what I really need is this issue fixed and am wondering if anyone else has experienced similar or same issue.
imapimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
AMG-ETR

My Ride: S54B32 On Boost
Send a message via MSN to AMG-ETR
Has your ECU been flashed for permanent dyno mode? That's the reason why it's cutting off at 6K RPM on the dyno.

If you don't have it flashed for dyno mode - then you need to manually put it yourself: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308906

You can also put it into dyno mode with a GT1.

-Kevin

Last edited by AMG-ETR; 05-16-2013 at 12:41 PM.
AMG-ETR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
NikolaiD

My Ride: 2002 M3C
Send a message via AIM to NikolaiD Send a message via MSN to NikolaiD Send a message via Yahoo to NikolaiD Send a message via Skype™ to NikolaiD
Quote:
Originally Posted by imapimp View Post
I know my two inline fuel pumps are walbro 255lph not sure what is in tank yet...maybe someone might know.

Anyways, I do know at 1/4 tank of gas (whether E85 or 93oct) I am out of gas but not necessarily empty in the tank.

When I get on it or on dyno for tuning the car runs out of fuel at 6k rpms and fuel is cut off (or so that is how I understand it) and the car bucks then goes again.

Have tried getting this as well as a long, long list of issues fixed as Chris didn't want to make anything work with the ProEFI system, etc.

Lot of BS. But what I really need is this issue fixed and am wondering if anyone else has experienced similar or same issue.
Hi, Tony, the fuel level issue I'm thinking has something to do with #2 and #3 here:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...73&hg=16&fg=15
I'm not sure what your setup is, but if one of the two fuel level sensors were disconnected in favor of a second in-tank pump, the reading will be off, or if the "Jet sucking pump" was removed for any reason, it probably can't get get the gas from the bottom of the driver's side of the tank over to the pump.

You might have to pull the seat out and just see what's in the tank...

About the fuel cut-off, AMG-ETR might have a point about the dyno limiter.
One reason for the bucking could be that the OEM DME cuts off at 6300, pulls timing etc, but the ProEFI doesn't have a limiter and it keeps firing.
Make sure the car is in dyno mode before your next pull if you haven't already...

Let me know next time you're in the area and we can mess with some stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG-ETR View Post
Has your ECU been flashed for permanent dyno mode? That's the reason why it's cutting off at 6K RPM on the dyno.

If you don't have it flashed for dyno mode - then you need to manually put it yourself: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308906

-Kevin
Kevin, that method only works on a handful of cars, it's not really good "universal" advice.
(also, every single number that guy posted is wrong, so I wouldn't trust him)
The easy and universal method is to drive the car on the dyno at over 25, then shut it off, pull the key out and while it's rolling start it again and you can dyno to your redline.
This kills the DSC until your front wheels get to 25 again and then DCS turns itself back on.

Last edited by NikolaiD; 05-16-2013 at 12:46 PM.
NikolaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Saad @ Saad Racing
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: S600
A few things can be happening. First is dyno mode I was stated. Second is that the HPF fuel system is junk, sorry no other way to say it. Third is the PROEFI is protecting your engine when it senses fuel pressure dropping. What you need is a Saad Racing Stage two fuel system, this will end all your fuel problems. Let us know if we can help.

Quote:

Saad @ Saad Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad @ Saad Racing View Post
A few things can be happening. First is dyno mode I was stated. Second is that the HPF fuel system is junk, sorry no other way to say it. Third is the PROEFI is protecting your engine when it senses fuel pressure dropping. What you need is a Saad Racing Stage two fuel system, this will end all your fuel problems. Let us know if we can help.

Lol his car has YOUR fuel system lol.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
imapimp

When it was on dyno it was Larry from SP and he was doing the on and off technique. So I am going to rule that one out.

Another tid bit is I changed the two inline figuring they may be bad and had no issue of bucking for a few days, then it started up again.

Now here we are today my short block is cracked, just got word 10 min ago.

So I need to source either a block or even motor debating if I want to stick with built motor or go with stock. FML
Old 05-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #7
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post

Where is like button for this post?

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
Old 05-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
why dont you just send it to HPF......
Old 05-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
M3PTGSC

Damn sorry to hear that....

last few M3s that blew up/lifted heads were ProEFI cars....ill wait on the switch lil more I think...

09 SL63 AMG Designo,pano and whole nine yards lol
07 S550 P2 4matic-gone
03-M3-6766 DBB..Tubular manifold...
97-M3-
95-M3 SC stage 2-Widebody...
08 Gix 1k 08 ZX10R
M3PTGSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
BrokenM3

My Ride: E46 Coupe
Quote:
Damn, not the news anyone wants to hear...
Old 05-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
imapimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PTGSC View Post
Damn sorry to hear that....

last few M3s that blew up/lifted heads were ProEFI cars....ill wait on the switch lil more I think...
It was due to engine build already diagnosed, not tuned related (unbiased shop that works with neither companies)...last built by HPF
Old 05-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
It was due to engine build already diagnosed, not tuned related (unbiased shop that works with neither companies)...last built by HPF
So this was at Sound Performance and they're not biased with ProEFI??
Old 05-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
imapimp

Quote:
Might not be I think his uses the bosch 044 pumps. Not sure because when it was at HPF I was under impression it was because they were waiting on SAAD to get that to me for weeks. But it doesn't look like Tom's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenM3 View Post
Damn, not the news anyone wants to hear...
Yeah man. There is that airstrip race on June 2nd highly doubt I will make it but we will see what we can pull together.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
imapimp

Quote:
So this was at Sound Performance and they're not biased with ProEFI??
Only went to SP on dyno in fall.

It is currently at different shop.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Only went to SP on dyno in fall.

It is currently at different shop.
Ah ok...didn't you have the VF built block that had the issues in the first place with your motor correct?
Old 05-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
M3PTGSC

Quote:
I was looking forward to see the car at the strip event What was wrong with engine exactly? What they messed up?

09 SL63 AMG Designo,pano and whole nine yards lol
07 S550 P2 4matic-gone
03-M3-6766 DBB..Tubular manifold...
97-M3-
95-M3 SC stage 2-Widebody...
08 Gix 1k 08 ZX10R
M3PTGSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
imapimp

Quote:
Ah ok...didn't you have the VF built block that had the issues in the first place with your motor correct?
I had the VF built block, which by Chris's opinion it was damaged on HPF dyno it was VF fault not tune related. But that is a whole other can of worms because when expert 3rd party advice was given without knowledge of companies involved it was almost impossible of HPF's info on why it failed. Also very fishy because mid way through the dyno tuning HPF realized they didn't install the ARP head bolts. At the same time the dyno recordings on the GoPro were never "found" as it was part of the agreement to have all dyno time recorded. But we will leave this alone and get back to fixing the issue.

So then HPF built my motor and here we are.

Trying to decide the next best step. Rotating assembly is good but need short block.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
imapimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PTGSC View Post
I was looking forward to see the car at the strip event What was wrong with engine exactly? What they messed up?
This is the basic info I got from it but more was explained I just had a 1000 things in my head so don't take this word for word.

The block had stress/crack previously and where it was they supposedly over tightening the head bolts caused the damage along with something about compression fluid or compression in the fluid not sure. Still need to go in person to talk to them and see the block.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
NikolaiD

Send a message via AIM to NikolaiD Send a message via MSN to NikolaiD Send a message via Yahoo to NikolaiD Send a message via Skype™ to NikolaiD
Quote:

NikolaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #20
Saad @ Saad Racing
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: S600
I don't use walbros Mr. Wiggles

Quote:
Saad @ Saad Racing is offline   Reply With Quote