E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 12:36 PM   #41
Saad @ Saad Racing
Sponsor

My Ride: S600
Here is a HPF fuel system I removed from a customer car, looks just like yours right? Notice how small the pick up is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0094.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	506817  

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saad-...ref=ts&fref=ts

If you can't run with the big Dawgs, stay on the porch!
Saad @ Saad Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #42
imapimp

My Ride: 2002.5 AV6 6MT 04M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad @ Saad Racing View Post
No, that is a HPF fuel system. When you see the braided line it has a rubber liner, that is why I said rubber line. Notice all the 90 degree fittings. Where I said it has a -3 pickup, that is the size of a drinking straw.

The black ones look braided to me, maybe I'm looking at the wrong ones.

What about the parallel system?
imapimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #43
Providence

My Ride: HPF Stage 3 m3
Send a message via MSN to Providence
Well you dont have to put it in the trunk there is plenty of space around the carbon fuel fume filter.
Providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #44
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by imapimp View Post

Didn't we have fuel pressure issues when you had it here??

ALso I believe that this is the car that came from HPF with absolutely NO TUNE in it!! It barely ran! The a/f's were pegged at 9.0 almost all of the time!
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #45
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PTGSC View Post
Damn sorry to hear that....

last few M3s that blew up/lifted heads were ProEFI cars....ill wait on the switch lil more I think...
Lifting the head has NOTHING to do with the EMS other than the fact that the car in question is making a ton of power. I believe that almost all of the highest HP M3s run a ProEFI so if you are going to lift a head.... well you do the math!!
Old 05-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #46
imapimp

Quote:
Here is a HPF fuel system I removed from a customer car, looks just like yours right? Notice how small the pick up is.
Now I see it better. What was in the tank of that customer's car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Performance View Post
Didn't we have fuel pressure issues when you had it here??

ALso I believe that this is the car that came from HPF with absolutely NO TUNE in it!! It barely ran! The a/f's were pegged at 9.0 almost all of the time!
Yeah that is on the original post Larry Never heard from you either, not sure if you got my messages or email?

Anyways, I am not trying to defend HPF in any way. Just trying to get the facts straight and see for myself and others with the same fuel issue what needs to be done to the existing system to make it up to par. Then, it would be up to each person to decide what their best option is.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #47
Saad @ Saad Racing
Sponsor

Look at the picture I posted. Do you see how the two sides join into the T block? Then they go on to enter the rail at one point. That is not a parallel system.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #48
Saad @ Saad Racing
Sponsor

I believe the factory fuel pump was in the tank which is fine if you let it run on its own line and not T into it. There is only one way to make a proper fuel system, that's the correct way, the HPF system is not right and you need to start over not repair it. Any fuel system that enters the rail on one end of a straight 6 is wrong right from the start, just another FYI. We enter from both sides with the parallel systems.

Quote:

Yeah that is on the original post Larry Never heard from you either, not sure if you got my messages or email?

Anyways, I am not trying to defend HPF in any way. Just trying to get the facts straight and see for myself and others with the same fuel issue what needs to be done to the existing system to make it up to par. Then, it would be up to each person to decide what their best option is.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #49
imapimp

Quote:
I believe the factory fuel pump was in the tank which is fine if you let it run on its own line and not T into it. There is only one way to make a proper fuel system, that's the correct way, the HPF system is not right and you need to start over not repair it. Any fuel system that enters the rail on one end of a straight 6 is wrong right from the start, just another FYI. We enter from both sides with the parallel systems.
Now I understand thanks
Old 05-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #50
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:

I only heard that you want to get it back on the dyno and finish the tune. Just give us a call and schedule it!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #51
FragNasty

My Ride: Car
Thanks for the reply.

And I agree with your view of safety first.

Is there a presumption a surge tank needs to be in the trunk? Considering the safety issue, it makes more sense for it to be fit elsewhere.

Finally, considering the reason for putting it in, there must be a better solution like modifying the fuel pickups. Perhaps we are both on the same page on this one. Is that the type of strategy your fuel system takes?

Quote:
In my opinion its always safety first. To put a surge tank full of gasoline in your trunk, in the M3 that would put it in the passenger compartment, is not safe in a street car. If you are rear ended and the tank or line ruptures the fuel is now in the car with you. In the factory set up, if it ruptures, its outside of the car. This could be the difference of you getting out or not. Not worth it to me for a street car. Everyone can make there own decision. Plus you loose storage space
FragNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #52
James @ Saad Racing
Sponsor

Quote:

It is rubber hose underneath the black braid. It will fail with E85. Needs to be Teflon or stainless tubing.
James @ Saad Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #53
Saad @ Saad Racing
Sponsor

Does not have to be in the trunk but where else are you going to find room for a tank and lines coming in and out of it on a street car? Don't want it under the hood for heat and saftey reasons. Only other place I can think of on a M3 would be under the rear bumper, but you would deal with a lot of exhaust heat and it could blow up like a Pinto if you get rear ended

The idea of using it is so you have always have fuel available during hi G's. As long as your fuel system is working properly and siphoning to the pickup side you will be ok. Just don't run the car low on gas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragNasty View Post
Thanks for the reply.

And I agree with your view of safety first.

Is there a presumption a surge tank needs to be in the trunk? Considering the safety issue, it makes more sense for it to be fit elsewhere.

Finally, considering the reason for putting it in, there must be a better solution like modifying the fuel pickups. Perhaps we are both on the same page on this one. Is that the type of strategy your fuel system takes?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #54
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
Re: HPF Fuel issue (Out of Gas at 1/4 Tank---Fuel Cutoff at 6k)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence View Post
Hpf fuel system is useless once u r @ 1/2 of the tank .
I tested this and you are right! Car sputters past 6k when the fuel is under 1/2 tank but when I filled it over the 1/2 way mark, my car ran like a champ past 6k, delivering full power... looks like I need to find a new fuel system and ditch the HPF one

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Rockyminator; 05-30-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Rockyminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #55
James @ Saad Racing
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyminator View Post
I tested this and you are right! Car sputters past 6k when the fuel is under 1/2 tank but when I filled it over the 1/2 way mark, my car ran like a champ past 6k, delivering full power... looks like I need to find a new fuel system and ditch the HPF one

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
If you need any assistance or further information on our fuel systems, feel free to contact us.
James @ Saad Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #56
323tom

My Ride: Turbo 323 ;)
I am having a similar issue, running out of gas at 1/4 sometimes 1/3 tank with my car with the SADD fuel system, SP is suppose to be working with you guys on figuring it out, haven't heard back from them yet though..
Quote:
Originally Posted by James @ Saad Racing View Post
If you need any assistance or further information on our fuel systems, feel free to contact us.

Last edited by 323tom; 05-31-2013 at 10:42 AM.
323tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #57
dan avoN7

My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post
I am having a similar issue, running out of gas at 1/4 sometimes 1/3 tank with my car with the SADD fuel system, SP is suppose to be working with you guys on figuring it out, haven't heard back from them yet though..
The SAAD fuel system will provide proper fuel to the engine but that's only if there is fuel to feed.. Under hard acceleration or hard turns the fuel is going to slosh to one side and leave the pickup dry. The best way to prevent this is by running a surge tank setup like Kenton just installed in conjunction with your existing fuel setup.

Last edited by dan avoN7; 05-31-2013 at 12:18 PM.
dan avoN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #58
imapimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post
The SAAD fuel system will provide proper fuel to the engine but that's only if there is fuel to feed.. Under hard acceleration or hard turns the fuel is going to slosh to one side and leave the pickup dry. The best way to prevent this is by running a surge tank setup like Kenton just installed in conjunction with your existing fuel setup.
Exactly when you need it doesn't work
Old 06-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #59
M3PTGSC

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Exactly when you need it doesn't work

09 SL63 AMG Designo,pano and whole nine yards lol
07 S550 P2 4matic-gone
03-M3-6766 DBB..Tubular manifold...
97-M3-
95-M3 SC stage 2-Widebody...
08 Gix 1k 08 ZX10R
M3PTGSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #60
Saad @ Saad Racing
Sponsor

Our system does not change the way the car siphons fuel from one tank to the other. If you ran out of fuel at a 1/4 tank that is because the factory set up failed, not our fuel kit. That part of the factory fuel system is untouched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323tom View Post