E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #61
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
well then, now you have another place to innovate
Old 06-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #62
J.Schmidt

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post
The SAAD fuel system will provide proper fuel to the engine but that's only if there is fuel to feed.. Under hard acceleration or hard turns the fuel is going to slosh to one side and leave the pickup dry. The best way to prevent this is by running a surge tank setup like Kenton just installed in conjunction with your existing fuel setup.
The factory setup already has a "surge" setup in the tank...ever look inside the stock tank? Pretty much all cars these days do.

Surge tanks aren't immune to these scenarios either. When you are using enough fuel to support 1000+hp, you will go through more fuel than the surge tank holds. You are still using fuel at a MUCH higher rate than the feed pump, plus....if your feedpump starves...guess what....so does your surge tank.

Last edited by J.Schmidt; 06-03-2013 at 07:46 PM.
J.Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #63
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Schmidt View Post
The factory setup already has a "surge" setup in the tank...ever look inside the stock tank? Pretty much all cars these days do.

Surge tanks aren't immune to these scenarios either. When you are using enough fuel to support 1000+hp, you will go through more fuel than the surge tank holds. You are still using fuel at a MUCH higher rate than the feed pump, plus....if your feedpump starves...guess what....so does your surge tank.
lol, let me guess you think the feedpump to the surge tank needs to be as big as whats feeding the engine?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #64
Lab22
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Schmidt View Post

I think the application in this scenario is a little different. We're looking at very short periods of starvation and a rather sizable surge tank (in Commanderwiggens case).

I also imagine that as soon as the surge tank goes below 100% full the pump feeding from the gas tank now has little to no pressure and can fill the surge tank quite quickly.
Lab22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #65
InDiGlOM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab22 View Post
I think the application in this scenario is a little different. We're looking at very short periods of starvation and a rather sizable surge tank (in Commanderwiggens case).

I also imagine that as soon as the surge tank goes below 100% full the pump feeding from the gas tank now has little to no pressure and can fill the surge tank quite quickly.
exactly, there is little to no pressure, Its flowing at more volume then the amount of fuel going into the engine, even if the feed pump is much smaller then whats feeding the engine.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #66
J.Schmidt

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
exactly, there is little to no pressure, Its flowing at more volume then the amount of fuel going into the engine, even if the feed pump is much smaller then whats feeding the engine.
That is a largely incorrect statement right there. The stock pump with no restriction (which...there still is...that tank has no VENT to outside air, so there is a restriction even if it is just filled with air and not fuel), won't flow as much fuel as a 1000hp engine will consume...ESPECIALLY not E85! This isn't my opinion...it is a FACT!

Last edited by J.Schmidt; 06-04-2013 at 12:59 PM.
J.Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #67
InDiGlOM3

Maybe radium eng. Can comment on how their surge tanks.

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
Old 06-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #68
lrinco01

My Ride: 01HPF Stg2 M3, 11'X5
Send a message via Yahoo to lrinco01 Send a message via Skype™ to lrinco01
Damn, just read the 1st & 2nd pages.... sorry to hear of all this tony

I share one issue with you, my car runs out of fuel very soon AFTER the light goes on and the needle is sitting 1/2" ABOVE the "E" line and the computer says you have 50miles left
HPF Stg.2 on the new Pt6766 Turbo/ Open Dump/ AA Lightweight flywheel/ Aggressive Tune good for 661 RWHP!

2012 X5D 3.5i - Family hauler
2000 323ci - work in progress - wife's D/D
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L LTD, Fully optioned up......soon TRD supercharged

FOR SALE:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727953
lrinco01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:41 PM   #69
gc86

My Ride: HPF M3
you guys are making me paranoid as hell with my E85 HPF fuel system....

does anyone know what fuel filter the HPF kit uses? I'm going to be replacing mine soon...

edit: oh yeah and bump, lol

Last edited by gc86; 03-03-2014 at 01:42 PM.
gc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #70
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Your car has many miles on it on your setup...no need to get paranoid, it woulda blew a long time ago. The filter element can be cleaned it's just a screen.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #71
gc86

My Ride: HPF M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Your car has many miles on it on your setup...no need to get paranoid, it woulda blew a long time ago. The filter element can be cleaned it's just a screen.
Mr. Wiggin you have been quite helpful these past few days
gc86 is offline   Reply With Quote