E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
yoyoguy2

My Ride: 330xi
Front wheel bearing or CV?

I'm getting constant humming or droning only at high speed, starts around 40-50 maybe and gets louder with increasing speed. it appears to be the right side as if you swerve left (loading the right) it gets louder. I thought it was a wheel bearing, but i jacked it up and it spins pretty well and has no side to side play.. could it be the CV joint? CVs usually click in my experience though... are the bearings on these tight enough that it could still be the bearing without any play? really don't want to do all the work of the bearing swap if i don't have to.
yoyoguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
If an axle got to the point of making noises it would show signs (like vibrations) on the steering wheel. Sounds like it's the bearing. How many miles?

I don't think a bearing will show signs of play, that would apply more to CABs and ball joints.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
yoyoguy2

135k. Yeah i know on the RWD cars the front bearing play is important, but the bearings on the xi are set up differently so maybe that's not a good indicator?
Old 05-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
e46alfonso

I have replaced 4 bad axles on this car and the symptoms were steering wheel shake and clicking over bumps but never humming.
The front diff can make noises at speed if its low on fluid, easy to check with the wheel off.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
yoyoguy2

if it was the diff i would not expect it to change when turning one way or the other.. i'll check the fluid level tomorrow anyway though, only takes 5 minutes.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #6
e46alfonso

probably the right bearing then. not an easy diy but it can be done.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
e46alfonso

http://http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=789994&highlight=b90+xi+wheel+bearing
Old 05-18-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Yes, bad axles can make a sort of brushing noise. Especially a cheap Chinese axle.

On the other hand, it's tough to tell if its the front bearing making noise by spinning by hand unless the bearing is really far gone.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #9
bmwbob89

My Ride: M-5 325 X3 528 740
If the noise get louder when turning the wheel one way and quieter the other way it is almost always a bad wheel bearing.
bmwbob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
TotheMountains!

My Ride: 2001 330xi
yoyo: I've been having almost exactly the same experience: a droning hum at the front left that's been growing louder in the past 7-10 days. I checked tire pressures, and have had no handling issues. I did start to note that I could "unload" the wheel at speed by turning some toward the centerline and the drone diminishes. I suspected bearing, but could not get any wheel play with the car on the ground.

I had the car on stands today for an oil change and to replace an intermittent oil level sensor fault. Unfortunately, I found an uneven, tapering wear on the right front tire. But the driver's side, the one that drones, I gripped top & bottom by the treads and pushed and pulled perpendicular to the axle. It rocks just enough to feel, but it definitely rocks. It doesn't make any weird sounds when freewheeling. The right front does not have that bit of motion.

The Bentley recommends having the steering arm and axle assembly both on a bench to replace the bearing . . . so I'm here researching solutions. Post back with what you decide to do. This is not my only vehicle to maintain, and it's trout season in Maine, so this may go to the local independent shop for a one-day turnaround while I'm at my paying job. We'll see.
TotheMountains! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #11
alpine325i

My Ride: Alpine 2001 325i
Have a very similar humming sound on my 325i while driving straight or turning right. Only when I turn left does it go away. I have ordered a front bearing/hub assembly to make it easier for myself. Hopefully that solves the problem. Had the noise previously, replaced all 4 tires since they were very worn, still had noise. Replaced front control arms/bushings, sway links and inner/outer tie rods. Still had noise. Had alignment done. Still have noise... will update after replacing bearing!

What was your conclusion?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:12 AM   #12
TotheMountains!

My Ride: 2001 330xi
In my case, it was the driver's side wheel bearing. I took it to the shop because I didn't have the time to do the work myself.
TotheMountains! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #13
yoyoguy2

wow, this thread came back from the grave! the problem with mine was the right rear wheel bearing. it still was hard to tell that it was bad by spinning it with the car off the ground, but from more driving and listening i convinced myself it was the RR, and it turned out i was right.

i did it myself with the SIR B90 tool. it's a bit if a pain but the job is doable without taking it to a shop. you also need a slide hammer and hub puller you can get from autozone for a free rental. i actually think the hardest parts of the whole thing were getting the giant circlip out and pounding the axle splines in and out of the hub.