E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #81
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
I really hope you / RRT get this figured out.

The Major problem I have with the Vendor that sold you this kit is, most others that buy this stage 2 kit run into the same or similar problems. In the end you waste A LOT of Time and Money hunting down problems that shouldn't exist. This kit should have been a straight forward Bolt On for RRT, you then should've driven out of the shop and down the road as a happy customer.

But instead it's turning into a nightmare.

In a Very short period of time if you can't get it running perfect, and I really mean PERFECT, ASK FOR A REFUND.

GL

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #82
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
My 323 would totally beat your car*

*in a test to see whose would stay afloat longer when dumped in the ocean.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #83
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
R1ce.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #84
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
R1ce.
R1ce? Is that a better supercharger?

I heard the follow-on design R2ce was a little better.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #85
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
RRT Racing : An Active (Autowerke) Approach To 400 Horsepower In A 328Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK330ci View Post

The Major problem I have with the Vendor that sold you this kit is, most others that buy this stage 2 kit run into the same or similar problems. In the end you waste A LOT of Time and Money hunting down problems that shouldn't exist. This kit should have been a straight forward Bolt On for RRT, you then should've driven out of the shop and down the road as a happy customer.

In a Very short period of time if you can't get it running perfect, and I really mean PERFECT, ASK FOR A REFUND.

GL
I'm pretty sure this isnt their standard bolt on kit. He wanted to achieve a certain amount of power and did it different. I could be wrong though.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

image (10) by serdar.gurhan, on Flickr
For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #86
SK330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar255 View Post
I'm pretty sure this isnt their standard bolt on kit. He wanted to achieve a certain amount of power and did it different. I could be wrong though.

Yes.

You're wrong. It's the standard stage 2 anyone can buy.

Quote: "At the day's end, we settled upon their Stage 2 kit with an Active intercooler, Rotrex blower (pushing 11-12 psi), an oil cooler for the blower, and all the other needed goodies."

Active Autowerke E46 328 Supercharger Kit Level 2 Complete
http://store.activeautowerke.com/act...plete-p39.aspx

BIMMERS FOR EVER !

Last edited by SK330ci; 06-10-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #87
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
So a little update.

- Car has been misfiring in cylinders 1, 2, and 3. Misfires were uncommon and were popping up between 1800-2500 rpms under light load. Car runs fine in higher rpms though a little leaner than we'd like.

Changed out :
-- 02 sensors
-- All coil packs

Car continued misfiring and now did it MUCH more common.. though still doing so in the same RPM area.

Drove up to Ocean City, MD this weekend for the show... car drove fine though CES light was on. Car is back in the shop and they are going to continue to try and figure out what is going wrong. Perhaps the tune? Perhaps there is a wire that is frayed or acting up... rather confused at this point
Dude, driving that around as lean as it was before is crazy. You may have damaged your engine from that. Now if the motor gives out they're gonna blame you, and what's written below is the truth.

Did AA give you that kit for free(sponsor), or was it a % off and do you still feel it was a good deal?

really sorry to hear about all this trouble, talk about blown

Quote:

GL
Old 06-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #88
serdar255

Quote:
Yes.

You're wrong. It's the standard stage 2 anyone can buy.

Quote: "At the day's end, we settled upon their Stage 2 kit with an Active intercooler, Rotrex blower (pushing 11-12 psi), an oil cooler for the blower, and all the other needed goodies."

Active Autowerke E46 328 Supercharger Kit Level 2 Complete
http://store.activeautowerke.com/act...plete-p39.aspx
In that case I really wouldn't be happy.
That's a lot I work for a bolt in kit

Old 06-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #89
SK330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by serdar255 View Post
In that case I really wouldn't be happy.
That's a lot I work for a bolt in kit.
Agreed.

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
Old 06-11-2013, 06:52 AM   #90
douglas_ngo
Europrojektz Southeast

My Ride: Hamann Widebody
Congrats to finally adding boost Chase. Hopefully you can get your issue fixed. I think you should have gone with an engine swap for more reliable power.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #91
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
It will all come together in time.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #92
serdar255

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
I hope so, good luck chase!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #93
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
Dude, driving that around as lean as it was before is crazy. You may have damaged your engine from that. Now if the motor gives out they're gonna blame you, and what's written below is the truth.

Did AA give you that kit for free(sponsor), or was it a % off and do you still feel it was a good deal?

really sorry to hear about all this trouble, talk about blown
Well Active didn't provide the kit for free.. both because I don't think my car was worth the marketing to them and the fact that a lot of the costs are out of their hands (Rotrex blower for example). But yeah, they gave me a good deal and I was very thankful for doing so. Hopefully I can get it all sorted out. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this.. part of me is considering seeing if Active would continue to warrant the mechanical and electronic side of the equation if i took it to Frank Smith (a tuner in Baltimore who has been talked up a lot by local members).
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas_ngo View Post
Congrats to finally adding boost Chase. Hopefully you can get your issue fixed. I think you should have gone with an engine swap for more reliable power.
We actually considered that. My concern was the whole "nice M3" issue. I never set off to turn my 328 into an M and I felt like throwing the M motor in there would just be the nail in the coffin of that conversation.. I would essentially be guilty of doing exactly that.

Plus, there is something unique and cool about going this route. But you're right in the sense that the costs involved would have easily covered the M3 motor swap... had it been possible, I would have preferred to throw in the E39 M5 motor (or similar V8) but that would have just been insanely costly.

Hopefully this all gets sorted out. RRT is one of the top shops in our area (if not the best) and they even they are puzzled by this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
Hopefully. Otherwise, I'll never be able to keep up with your sexy M

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Back Up Camera for E46 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ckrDiAClGgM
Muffler Delete on E46 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYhRq0T3eI
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #94
SK330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Well Active didn't provide the kit for free.. both because I don't think my car was worth the marketing to them and the fact that a lot of the costs are out of their hands (Rotrex blower for example). But yeah, they gave me a good deal and I was very thankful for doing so. Hopefully I can get it all sorted out. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this.. part of me is considering seeing if Active would continue to warrant the mechanical and electronic side of the equation if i took it to Frank Smith (a tuner in Baltimore who has been talked up a lot by local members).

I would recommend against this thinking.

Unless you got a Contract (drawn up by YOUR attorney) approved by AA saying that "Frank Smith" could do or try whatever he felt necessary to get it tuned properly, I wouldn't do it. Even with a contract, if Frank Smith had a motor failure while tuning on the dyno, let the back and forth blame games begin. If that were the case, your car would sit for a year before the "blame game" issues were sorted out.

DON'T loose sight of the fact that AA sold you this "bolt on" kit, and it's been anything but. This is AA's problem, AA should be the company that sorts out your tuning issues, NOT ANY THIRD PARTY.

After RRT works all of there magic and doesn't solve these problems, I would DEMAND that AA fly up their tuning expert to tune your car himself on RRT's dyno, If not..........IT'S TIME FOR A REFUND.

I can't even imagine how much extra money you've spent on parts and labor try to get this working right.

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #95
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Quote:
I would recommend against this thinking.

Unless you got a Contract (drawn up by YOUR attorney) approved by AA saying that "Frank Smith" could do or try whatever he felt necessary to get it tuned properly, I wouldn't do it. Even with a contract, if Frank Smith had a motor failure while tuning on the dyno, let the back and forth blame games begin. If that were the case, your car would sit for a year before the "blame game" issues were sorted out.

DON'T loose sight of the fact that AA sold you this "bolt on" kit, and it's been anything but. This is AA's problem, AA should be the company that sorts out your tuning issues, NOT ANY THIRD PARTY.

After RRT works all of there magic and doesn't solve these problems, I would DEMAND that AA fly up their tuning expert to tune your car himself on RRT's dyno, If not..........IT'S TIME FOR A REFUND.

I can't even imagine how much extra money you've spent on parts and labor try to get this working right.
Well over a thousand thus far in trouble shooting and parts.. and that is including very generous discounts from the superstars at RRT

I'm sure Active will figure it out.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 06-11-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #96
BobbyC

My Ride: 2000 328I
That sucks. I was expecting big power from this car....I wanted to see the high side of 300. Did you guys install a new fuel pump??? Did they try clocking the maf??? Did they gap down the plugs???

Here's a dumb idea, add another ground from the chassis to the block.
BobbyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #97
JohnBlaze

the thing is, the kit is supposed to be plug and play. It's supposed to be that simple, unfortunately it has not been. I feel for you bro, good luck and godspeed...
Old 06-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #98
douglas_ngo
Europrojektz Southeast

My Ride: Hamann Widebody
Chase,
Have you send Anthony (trippinbimmer) a PM to see maybe he has any suggestion? I believe he is running the same kit.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:34 PM   #99
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyC View Post
That sucks. I was expecting big power from this car....I wanted to see the high side of 300. Did you guys install a new fuel pump??? Did they try clocking the maf??? Did they gap down the plugs???
Well the plugs were pre gapped by Active and RRT looked them over prior to install. Perhaps they weren't gapped properly by Active but that would be reallllly low probability given we are getting misfires on 3 cylinders. If it was one, that might be more likely. The fuel pump isn't brand new and we've considered swapping it out with that of the E46 M. RRT is sending the fuel trims to Zak from Active tomorrow to have him take a peak. Haven't done anything to the MAF but have all new O2 sensors. RRT is hoping for north of 350 wheel when it's running right.
Here's a dumb idea, add another ground from the chassis to the block.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
the thing is, the kit is supposed to be plug and play. It's supposed to be that simple, unfortunately it has not been. I feel for you bro, good luck and godspeed...
True. I was hoping we would be glitch free but I suppose this is what you get with modding cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas_ngo View Post
Chase,
Have you send Anthony (trippinbimmer) a PM to see maybe he has any suggestion? I believe he is running the same kit.
Yeah Anthony has been one of my go-tos on this project. He has the same setup on his ZHP and had issues himself getting things to adjust properly.. though with his kit, he was tweaking it and playing with pulley sizes.. I'm trying to just run Active's off the shelf kit within spec with headers and meth for added power.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #100
JohnBlaze

has Anthony's car ever run correctly? I haven't followed exactly, but I remember seeing his project riddled with issues as well...