E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
zorb

My Ride: 2004 325 Ci
Hard Steering Suddenly

I was driving my car yesterday and parked in a parkade. When I went in, I thought I felt the steering wheel vibrate a bit. I thought it was the bumps. I went shopping. Came back. Steering is very hard. There are no leaks. I think it is the power steering pump. I topped up the fluid, as it was low.

The mechanic is quoting me around $400 including labor, for a USED pump. (LF-20 I think).

Questions: Is it safe to drive around now until I get it fixed? Should I get a LF-20 or LF-30? The LF-30 will cost more since I will have to replace the hoses, (assuming I have the LF-20 in there now)
Should I get a used pump? The new one will cost around $600 including labor ($420 just for the pump)

Thanks for your feedback.
zorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
ryannel2003

My Ride: '04 Cadillac Deville
Are you sure your car has an LF-20? Most of the later E46's had the LF-30 and they have proven to be more reliable because of the LF-20's problem with the internal shaft breaking off causing no steering assist. Also for a used pump that is a lot of money; you can buy a reman pump on the internet for as low as $200 shipped but don't quote me on that. I believe it won't hurt the car to drive around but I wouldn't want to do it for long.

Also, did the mechanic show you the problem or did he just tell you? The lines all checked out ok?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
zorb

I haven't showed it to anyone yet. It's my own diagnoses. There are no leaks. Steering is hard in both directions, especially when parking.

It's a 2004. Not sure if that would likely have a LF-20 or 30.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
ryannel2003

It's most likely the pump if the fluid level is normal and nothing is leaking. Also if you can DIY this isn't a difficult part to remove and replace. I'm sure there are some tutorials on this site that can help guide you.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
pic3

My Ride: 05 330i zhp
With those pumps they wont leak the belt holds it in place everything will look normal except the hard steering. A pump from napa will run about 60 bucks takes only a couple hours its an easy job to do.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
zorb

I would but I live in an apartment building, (underground parking). Not sure if they'll let me open her up there. Plus I don't have the tools/jack/etc.

If I could DIY I would also do the VCG and new spark plugs. Those will have to wait I suppose.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
zorb

Speaking of NAPA, should I get the LUK OEM part? Or another one (supposedly there are parts that are "improved" but still the same size)
Old 05-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
ryannel2003

Understandable. But as a person who never worked on a car before owning my E46 the VCG and spark plugs are two of the easiest things to replace on this car. It took me 2 hours the first time I did it and I was going very slowly. If you do decide to replace the VCG make sure and go with the BMW gasket as the Victor Reinz will leak again.

Tags
lf-20, lf-30, power steering pump