E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #41
FadeToblack

My Ride: 2003 accord coupe
Send a message via Yahoo to FadeToblack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Yeah I always forget about GP. I really don't like that area since it is so close to Detroit, but it's nice if you stay in the little bubble they have down there.
Yeah i dont like it either. They have no restaurants.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #42
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Drove by today and got some pics for the first time since the survey stakes were in. Also took a pic of the initial survey drawing. I never knew what surveyors did exactly, but this stuff is crazy! Got some good news today from the building department. Apparently I can submit for a permit while it is still being reviewed and approved by the homeowners association. Could save me as much as 2 weeks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Survey Done.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	507142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Survey.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	507143  
Glight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #43
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
That is a great looking lot - flat and able to leave most of the trees. Congrats on the project...should be a great adventure!

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #44
Glight

More good news today. Gutters are going to be about $750 less than we had budgeted into our plans.

I need to get some more bids while this good luck is going!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:07 PM   #45
Glight

Re: Glight House Build Thread

Had our meeting with the association today. Not many major changes. How was going to be too tall compared to the houses, so we have to decrease the roof pitch a bit.

Also need to add a few windows but all in all should be just about a wash in terms of cost.
Got good news on our foundation piering. Had $30k budgeted for that and the final quote came in at $18,300!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #46
Glight

Update:

Had our meeting with the homeowners association board last month and there were some changes to be made. Had our architect work with theirs and now I think (hope) we have a design that will get approved next Tuesday at the July monthly meeting. I was really annoyed at first since I thought it looked good before, but I do think it is a much better house now.

All permit applications have been filed. Now the waiting game begins. Realistically looking like we can hopefully break ground in early August.

See below for an artisic rendering what the new design and colors will look like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Updated Rendering.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	516073  
Old 07-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #47
WerksM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
Nice! I almost bumped this thread the other day for an update.

Looks great!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #48
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Was nice of the artist to include you in the rendering

Good luck on the approval, hopefully it all goes smoothly!

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #49
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Update:

Had our meeting with the homeowners association board last month and there were some changes to be made. Had our architect work with theirs and now I think (hope) we have a design that will get approved next Tuesday at the July monthly meeting. I was really annoyed at first since I thought it looked good before, but I do think it is a much better house now.

All permit applications have been filed. Now the waiting game begins. Realistically looking like we can hopefully break ground in early August.

See below for an artisic rendering what the new design and colors will look like.
looks great man.

What were the changes made?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #50
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
looks great man.

What were the changes made?
Main things were getting rid of the dormers (things jutting out of the roof with the windows in them) on the top roof, adding the little peak over the front door, adding the chimney instead of just the little "doghouse" that they use for gas fireplaces a lot nowadays, and then adding the room / window just to the left of the main body of the house on the second floor.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #51
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Glight House Build Thread

Nice, everything about the house looks just like my friends house he moved into in Okemos. I think he paid 480 but was built in 94 and needs some updating.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:31 AM   #52
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
nice, bro! Can't wait to see the house (and gym)
Old 07-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #53
slo323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci

Gooduck Greg! Can't wait to see the progress! I'm building 25x24 garage/2nd floor living space and is amazing watching the progress.

Also completely jealous of your 11 ft ceilings!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
slo323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #54
wontonjon

My Ride: grocerymobile

Subscribed too!

In the infancy process here too of a build but working with a GC as I have neither the knowledge or amt of time needed for this.

Appreciate the couple of posts right above as I had forgotten about the architectural committee / HOA approval. Sucks that this might push the timeline yet a bit further behind.

One of our concerns is the build process encroaching upon winter/colder weather and increasing build costs. Have your folks mentioned anything about this? Thanks!

This will def help me out in our process as well!

wontonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #55
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontonjon View Post
Subscribed too!

In the infancy process here too of a build but working with a GC as I have neither the knowledge or amt of time needed for this.

Appreciate the couple of posts right above as I had forgotten about the architectural committee / HOA approval. Sucks that this might push the timeline yet a bit further behind.

One of our concerns is the build process encroaching upon winter/colder weather and increasing build costs. Have your folks mentioned anything about this? Thanks!

This will def help me out in our process as well!

They tell me that the main concern is getting the basement dug and poured before it gets too cold. They can frame and everything else in the cold. A home around the block from us got built all through last winter. They didn't dig the basement until December. You'll be fine.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #56
slo323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci

Quote:
They tell me that the main concern is getting the basement dug and poured before it gets too cold. They can frame and everything else in the cold. A home around the block from us got built all through last winter. They didn't dig the basement until December. You'll be fine.

I poured my floor a couple weeks before Xmas, with a heater and plastic over the garage doors, and it was snowing during part of it. Garage floor has been fine for 8 months so far. I highly recommend subbing it the floor, that has been the hardest out of all of the things I've done.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
slo323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #57
wontonjon

@glight.-

Who/what entity approved your home plans prior to construction? Was it the developer, city, HoA...

I'm running into a problem with nobody taking ownership - HOA says "we only do landscape and projects after home build" then developer rep says "city decides...but has no contact for me"

But I'm thinking - what does the city care as long as it looks appropriate in the neighborhood (a developer or HOA function) IMHO.

?

Old 07-30-2013, 01:37 AM   #58
wontonjon

Nvm. Read above - looks like HoA is the approving authority?

Rates are sucking now compared to yours. Damnit- wish I was ready a few months earlier!

Old 07-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #59
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontonjon View Post
Nvm. Read above - looks like HoA is the approving authority?

Rates are sucking now compared to yours. Damnit- wish I was ready a few months earlier!

In my area the hoa has to approve the plans which can then take the approved version to the township to file the permit. Got denied again last month..... Filing revised plans again tomorrow...

Old 07-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #60
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
Quote:
In my area the hoa has to approve the plans which can then take the approved version to the township to file the permit. Got denied again last month..... Filing revised plans again tomorrow...

That totally sucks! They take there jobs to seriously. HOA's still need to respect that you own this piece of property, my friend is going through a similar gripe to get a fence built around his back yard for his dog.

You can pour concrete in any weather, they use chemicals to either speed up or slow down the drying time of concrete in extreme cold or heat, and the supplier normally adds this in without you asking.

Last edited by Vinnie Vega; 07-30-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Vinnie Vega is offline   Reply With Quote