E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #121
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max'd out View Post
On basement insulation, you may want to install rigid insulation down before pouring basement floor. Put 6 mil plastic, then the insulation then concrete floor. Reduces moisture rise through concrete plus insulated floor.

Nice floor plan. Looks like you will have a nice home.

I have always heard suggestions about insulating underneath the concrete, but what is the likelihood that the insulation will fail over time ?

Then you will have a cracked and decaying underlayment leading to cracked and failing concrete floors. At least that is how I visualize it.

I know they say that the insulating underlayment will last ' a lifetime' but you got a lot to lose if it fails.....

Wouldn't 6 mil plastic be good enough ?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 PM   #122
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
I used this procedure on a house I had built in 1986. I used 2" of extruded polystyene over stone leveling material and then covered the polystyrene with 6 mil plastic. The plastic was for moisture control. I used the same process for the walls that were below grade.

As of 2008 when I sold it, the basement floor was fine.
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #123
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Glight House Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
home gym
Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
Yea, vapor barrier for sure

Ended up doing this. Foam on outside of block after tarring. Inside, I drylocked, then glued 2" foam boards to the concrete block, taped all seams, studded w/ PT and drywalled

I was so worried and concerned about "trapping" moisture in the fiberglass insulation and plastic VB making mold, so I did the Foam and skipped the plastic

Walls are done, but now WTF do I do with the floor??????????? concrete slab
I've heard soooooo many conflicting arguments for finishing a basement. Living in Michigan, I didn't do a VP or foam for fear of moisture. I simply threw the wall up 1 inch off from the poured concrete to allow a draft and the concrete to breathe. Gotta stop a leak from exterior.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-03-2014, 04:22 PM   #124
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shine View Post
Haha

I've heard soooooo many conflicting arguments for finishing a basement. Living in Michigan, I didn't do a VP or foam for fear of moisture. I simply threw the wall up 1 inch off from the poured concrete to allow a draft and the concrete to breathe. Gotta stop a leak from exterior.

You don't want the wall to breathe. Warm air (Heater in winter) hits the cold stone or cold air (AC in summer) hits the warm stone and you get....water "condensation" trapped between the walls and insulation and then mold

Theres water liquid....and then there is water moisture and then there is water vapor. A fight on all fronts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 01-03-2014 at 04:25 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #125
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Got our backfill done after waiting 2 weeks for the walls to cure and getting the back bracing done. They are starting the garage and front porch footings and piers tomorrow, laying steel on Friday and starting to frame early next week.... finally starting to feel real.

Anyone out there had a second water meter installed for sprinklers and hoses, etc?

Cost is around $400 for the meter and the permit to do it. With a full inground sprinkler system I'm thinking it might be worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Backfill1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	455.1 KB
ID:	543214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backfill2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	543215  
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #126
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
^ If the pressure to your lot is good enough then I wouldn't worry about it but for that low of a cost I'd do it anyway. Is it $400 for meter and permit and then more for labor or is that all in?

FWIW, my house doesn't have a second meter and I just run the sprinklers at a time I know no one will be showering or doing any other water intensive activity. The advantage I have is that it's just my wife and I so our schedules are fairly predictable.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 01-20-2014 at 12:40 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:44 PM   #127
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
^ If the pressure to your lot is good enough then I wouldn't worry about it but for that low of a cost I'd do it anyway. Is it $400 for meter and permit and then more for labor or is that all in?

FWIW, my house doesn't have a second meter and I just run the sprinklers at a time I know no one will be showering or doing any other water intensive activity. The advantage I have is that it's just my wife and I so our schedules are fairly predictable.
The pressure is great. 1" line. The second meter isn't for a second water line, its just so that you don't get billed sewer charges for the water that isn't going into the sewer like sprinklers, hoses, etc.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #128
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
The pressure is great. 1" line. The second meter isn't for a second water line, its just so that you don't get billed sewer charges for the water that isn't going into the sewer like sprinklers, hoses, etc.
Ah ok. My parents got a second line put in due to pressure when running the sprinklers. That's an awesome idea though, I'd do that without even thinking twice then.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #129
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Got our backfill done after waiting 2 weeks for the walls to cure and getting the back bracing done. They are starting the garage and front porch footings and piers tomorrow, laying steel on Friday and starting to frame early next week.... finally starting to feel real.

Anyone out there had a second water meter installed for sprinklers and hoses, etc?

Cost is around $400 for the meter and the permit to do it. With a full inground sprinkler system I'm thinking it might be worth it.
I have a second meter dedicated to my sprinkler system, it saves HUGE money and I would recommend it.

This past summer I even repiped my exterior hose line to the meter to save money. To prevent sump pump backups, I have a backup sump pump which runs on city water pressure and the second meter during a power outage.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #130
217Bimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
why not plant native species and forget watering? and watering in MI seems unnecessary, especially with the tree canopy surrounding the house.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 PM   #131
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
why not plant native species and forget watering? and watering in MI seems unnecessary, especially with the tree canopy surrounding the house.
My maim concern for watering is for the lawn. With two young kids a nice full green lawn is really important to me. I probably won't run the zones that water shrub beds much at all.

Sent from my SM-N900V using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-20-2014, 02:12 PM   #132
SamDoe1

Don't mean to hijack but what does it take to retrofit a second meter to an existing home? Not paying the stupid sewer fee on watering my grass sounds like an awesome idea.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:18 PM   #133
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Don't mean to hijack but what does it take to retrofit a second meter to an existing home? Not paying the stupid sewer fee on watering my grass sounds like an awesome idea.
I dont think it would be much more than on a new house. Get the city out to turn off the water, have plumber buy and install second meter, turn water back on, city wires it up. I would guess price of the meter + permits + $200 in labor
Old 02-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #134
Glight

They delivered the floor system last week and got the floor deck on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	545347   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	355.4 KB
ID:	545348   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	545349  

Last edited by Glight; 02-04-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #135
Glight

Today all the lumber was delivered and they started framing
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	545350  
Old 02-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #136
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
They delivered the floor system last week and got the floor deck on.
Man that's gotta be rough working outside.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #137
Glight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Man that's gotta be rough working outside.
I looks miserable. It has been really cold but sunny with no wind the days they have been working, so at least the wind chill isnt horrible.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #138
217Bimmer

man, it will start really moving now with framing in motion! make sure they spray foam the rim joist.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #139
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
man, it will start really moving now with framing in motion! make sure they spray foam the rim joist.
What does this mean?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:04 PM   #140
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
What does this mean?
usually they just shove a bunch of cheap fiberglass insulation in between the floor joists at the rim joist like this

this leave good places for critters to live and also is poorly insulated and doesn't seal air leaks. this is one of the biggest culprits for air infiltration in a house.

instead foam it like this. a little more expensive, but worth it in terms of saving energy and having a more comfortable home.