E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #61
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
eh, boot camp/OCS is different.

and this is not a good example? Or is he displaying crocodile tears? Both, more so the second video, seem pretty "regular joe" to me.

He was regular joe, but it can't end there. That was a good start, but that is more of a feel good speech. I would have liked to see him comment that the chick pleading the 5th let the american people down, and that she will be removed ASAP. Remember, just because these things happen anyway, it doesn't have the same sort of impact as if the POTUS comes out and says it. If Issa gets it done, most will say it's a republican witchhunt again. Obama needs to put the partisan stuff on the side and condem them BY NAME.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #62
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
and that she will be removed ASAP.
She has been removed by the new IRS director and is on administrative leave.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 05-23-2013 at 10:14 PM.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #63
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
He was regular joe, but it can't end there. That was a good start, but that is more of a feel good speech. I would have liked to see him comment that the chick pleading the 5th let the american people down, and that she will be removed ASAP. Remember, just because these things happen anyway, it doesn't have the same sort of impact as if the POTUS comes out and says it. If Issa gets it done, most will say it's a republican witchhunt again. Obama needs to put the partisan stuff on the side and condem them BY NAME.
She didn't let me down. Invoking a right is not letting America down. She also claimed that her legal counsel advised her in using her constitutional right. Are people that buy guns or speak out "letting the american people down"?

Quote:
False: Anyone who "pleads the Fifth" must be guilty of something.
True: Of course, if police question a suspect, or arrest him, then they have some reason to think he committed a crime.

But, mistakes are sometimes made and innocent people are wrongly accused of crimes. If you're worried about having your words twisted and used against you, you may choose to "plead the Fifth." At the very least, assert your right to have a lawyer present!

Also, it's your right not to testify against yourself. So, juries are typically told not to think a defendant is guilty simply because he chooses not to testify at trial - or to talk to police after being arrested.
http://criminal.lawyers.com/Criminal...-Warnings.html

Last edited by badfast; 05-23-2013 at 10:15 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #64
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
She has been removed by the new IRS director and is on administrative leave.
All good, but it would have been nice if Obama criticized her actions personally. Thats all Im saying. Being yelled at by the store manager isn't the same as getting yelled at by the CEO.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #65
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
She didn't let me down. Invoking a right is not letting America down. She also claimed that her legal counsel advised her in using her constitutional right. Are people that buy guns or speak out "letting the american people down"?

From what I understand, once she started talking about things she "didn't do," she lost that right.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #66
badfast

Quote:
From what I understand, once she started talking about things she "didn't do," she lost that right.
Quote:
False: You can't change your mind if you waive your Fifth Amendment rights by answering an investigator's questions.
True: Just because you waive your rights and agree to be questioned doesn't mean you must answer all questions. At any time you may change your mind and choose to remain silent. In that case, the police must stop questioning you.

Likewise, if at first you talk to police without an attorney and then change your mind, police must stop questioning you until your attorney arrives. Once she arrives, you have to be given the chance to talk with her before questioning begins.

Also, under a 2010 US Supreme Court case, police may begin questioning a suspect again 14 days after the first interrogation ends, even if he asserted his rights to remain silent and to have an attorney present for the first interrogation.

Last edited by badfast; 05-23-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #67
MDydinanM

Quote:
All good, but it would have been nice if Obama criticized her actions personally. Thats all Im saying. Being yelled at by the store manager isn't the same as getting yelled at by the CEO.
So if they technically don't know what she did wrong, then how can anyone say anything yet,? Do we really know who did what and when, by name?

However, I'm sure Obama, by now, and as he said in the video I posted, he has seen/read the IG's investigation. So I would tend to agree he knows findings of fact, and who, by name, is responsible for what. Maybe that's why Lois Lerner was relieved.

But member badfast makes a point, just because someone pleads the 5th, doesn't make them guilty. Sure, I do agree it invokes suspicion. I would be skeptical too.

Remember though, Lois Lerner is the one who first went public with this (reportedly). In my mind, she tried to do the right thing and, well, perhaps fell on her sword.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 05-23-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #68
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
IANAL, but it seems the discrepancy is the criminal aspect. She wasn't charged with a crime, no miranda, none of that. This was a congressional questioning (her boss if you will) about her job. I don't know how this particular incident fits into the law.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #69
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
So if they technically don't know what she did wrong, then how can anyone say anything yet,? Do we really know who did what and when, by name?

However, I'm sure Obama, by now, and as he said in the video I posted, he has seen/read the IG's investigation. So I would tend to agree he knows findings of fact, and who, by name, is responsible for what. Maybe that's why Lois Lerner was relieved.

But member badfast makes a point, just because someone pleads the 5th, doesn't make them guilty. Sure, I do agree it invokes suspicion. I would be skeptical too.

Remember though, Lois Lerner is the one who first went public with this (reportedly). In my mind, she tried to do the right thing and, well, perhaps fell on her sword.
All valid points. I guess there is nothing left to do but make some popcorn and watch this sh!tstorm unfold.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #70
badfast

Quote:
IANAL, but it seems the discrepancy is the criminal aspect. She wasn't charged with a crime, no miranda, none of that. This was a congressional questioning (her boss if you will) about her job. I don't know how this particular incident fits into the law.
If this is not a criminal inquiry or a legal proceeding, than who cares? What is the purpose of the questioning?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #71
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
If this is not a criminal inquiry or a legal proceeding, than who cares? What is the purpose of the questioning?
Well, it seems to me that it will eventually turn into a criminal proceeding, once they can squarely place the blame on someone (whoever issued the order to scrutinize certain groups.) For now, they are not charging anyone with anything and are looking for information (like your boss asking you who stole the case of Jack Daniels from the liquor room) leading to the individual involved. If the flow of information is obstructed (as is the case with this woman) then they might find something to charge her with to get her to talk...who knows.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:46 PM   #72
badfast

Quote:
Well, it seems to me that it will eventually turn into a criminal proceeding, once they can squarely place the blame on someone (whoever issued the order to scrutinize certain groups.) For now, they are not charging anyone with anything and are looking for information (like your boss asking you who stole the case of Jack Daniels from the liquor room) leading to the individual involved. If the flow of information is obstructed (as is the case with this woman) then they might find something to charge her with to get her to talk...who knows.
It would than seem it would be in her best interest (as recommenced by legal) to plead the fifth. She certainly would not want to end up as collateral damage. I, personally, don't think it would be in her interest to talk without something in return.

Last edited by badfast; 05-23-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #73
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Top IRS official pleads the 5th rather than answer questions.

"I have done nothing wrong. I refuse to answer questions based on the fact I may incriminate myself."

Wat?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #74
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
This is about Miranda warnings, LOL. Laymen smh

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #75
MDydinanM

Top IRS official pleads the 5th rather than answer questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
"I have done nothing wrong. I refuse to answer questions based on the fact I may incriminate myself."

Wat?

I'm not defending her, but generally speaking, the appearance of guilt doesn't make one guilty. But I do agree it invites suspicion.

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty in this country? Or do we let the media be the judge of that and public opinion?

Old 05-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #76
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
This is about Miranda warnings, LOL. Laymen smh

Perhaps it would benefit you to actually read the articles instead of only the title. How are you even a "lawyer"?

Last edited by badfast; 05-24-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #77
Act of God

Quote:
Perhaps it would benefit you to actually read the articles instead of only the title. How are you even a "lawyer"?
You linked a 5th grade level website, stop playing lawyer and start looking for a job you failure.

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Old 05-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #78
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I'm not defending her, but generally speaking, the appearance of guilt doesn't make one guilty. But I do agree it invites suspicion.

Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty in this country? Or do we let the media be the judge of that and public opinion?

I don't remember anyone accusing her of anything....yet. She has a department to answer for, and if there is malfeasance, she needs to own up to up. While pleading the 5th when accused of a crime (legally speaking) doesn't make one guilty, pleading the 5th when you are NOT accused of a crime sure as hell does....in my opinion anyway.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #79
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
You linked a 5th grade level website, stop playing lawyer and start looking for a job you failure.
So the "lawyer" doesn't even understand law on a 5th grade level. Sounds like you are the failure that needs to start looking for a job.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #80
Act of God

Quote:
So the "lawyer" doesn't even understand law on a 5th grade level. Sounds like you are the failure that needs to start looking for a job.
lol, hold on...on the way to my office. Ever see one? Want me to get you a job doing copying for me? Sounds up to your intellect level.