E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #81
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
lol, hold on...on the way to my office. Ever see one? Want me to get you a job doing copying for me? Sounds up to your intellect level.
Oh you're witty. Let me guess, your "office" is in the basement?

badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:12 PM   #82
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #83
Act of God
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Oh you're witty. Let me guess, your "office" is in the basement?

Don't worry champ, I'm sure it's someone else's fault you turned out to be a zero. Keep your head up!
Old 05-24-2013, 04:29 PM   #84
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000

Old 05-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #85
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Don't worry champ, I'm sure it's someone else's fault you turned out to be a zero. Keep your head up!
I will let you know who's fault it is after my trip to London. Thanks Obama.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #86
Act of God
E46Fanatic

IRS commissioner Douglas Shulman visited the White House 157 times.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton visited the White House 43 times.
CIA Director Leon Panetta visited the White House 20 times.

Nothing to see here
Old 05-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #87
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
Top IRS official pleads the 5th rather than answer questions.

Quote:
IRS commissioner Douglas Shulman visited the White House 157 times.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton visited the White House 43 times.
CIA Director Leon Panetta visited the White House 20 times.

Nothing to see here
And?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Current: 08 e60 BMW DINAN ///M5 Interlagos Blue SMG
DINAN 3.91 Differential, Stage 2 Suspension, Free-flow exhaust, Stage III Software, Front strut braces,
High Flow Air mass meters and intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, RPI Scoops. 12.5mm TMS Spacers
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #88
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDydinanM View Post
And?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Yeah.... no point made.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:15 PM   #89
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330ciC
Quote:
Originally Posted by act of god View Post
irs commissioner douglas shulman visited the white house 157 times.
Secretary of state hillary clinton visited the white house 43 times.
Cia director leon panetta visited the white house 20 times.

Nothing to see here
Guilty

Congratulations.

Last edited by Lair; 05-31-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #90
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
Yeah.... no point made.
Who would have thought that during a time when government revenues were down the President would meet regularly with the person in charge of the agency in charge of revenue? Shocking, indeed.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #91
Act of God
E46Fanatic

Odd to see which left-leaning groups enjoy tax-free status:

- ACORN (now renamed as other organizations, but all still tax-exempt), "community organizers" who engage in profanity-laced protests at private homes, dump garbage in front of public buildings and disrupt bankers' dinners in order to get more people on welfare in order to destroy the capitalist system and incite revolution;

- Occupy Wall Street, which - in its first month alone - was responsible for more than a dozen sexual assaults; at least half a dozen deaths by overdose, suicide or murder; and millions of dollars in property damage;

- Media Matters for America, a media "watchdog" group that has never noticed one iota of pro-Obama bias in the media;

- Moveon.org, which ran ads comparing Bush to Hitler under its 501(c)(4) arm;

- The Center for American Progress, an auxiliary of the Democratic National Committee funded by George Soros and staffed by former Clinton and Obama aides to promote the Democratic agenda;

- The Tides Foundation, which funnels money to communist and terrorist-supporting organizations;

- The Ford Foundation, which has never found a criminal law that isn't "racist."

These groups are regarded by the IRS as nonpartisan community groups, merely educational, while dozens of patriotic, constitutional, Christian or tea party groups are still waiting for their tax exemptions.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/05/ti...#ixzz2VSD2izYc
Old 06-06-2013, 11:26 AM   #92
Lair
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 330ciC
Prosecute.

Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #93
Act of God
E46Fanatic

I am fairly comfortable making an inference that ALL of these groups are political. The problem is, you can't decide some are ok being political and some are not. I'd rather deny all these groups tax exempt status if it were up to me.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #94
Act of God
E46Fanatic

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/new-i...ng-was-broader
IRS admits that the illegal screening was was broader and lasted longer than had been previously disclosed
Old 06-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #95
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/new-i...ng-was-broader
IRS admits that the illegal screening was was broader and lasted longer than had been previously disclosed
First, it has yet to be determined if this screening was actually illegal or merely politically inappropriate.

While it does seem to be broader and longer lasting than initially thought, that might also repudiate the assertion of specific partisan targeting by these screenings, which is the main gist of Issa's inquest:
"An internal IRS document obtained by The Associated Press said that besides "tea party," lists used by screeners to pick groups for close examination also included the terms "Israel," ''Progressive" and "Occupy.""
This would indicate that they were more interested in any new and burgeoning groups claiming tax exempt status but that might actually not be eligable.

Perhaps this whole 503 tax exempt area needs to be either greatly modified or done away with altogether as basically untenable, but it strikes me, given the above, that this IRS "scandal" merely seems to be technical/bureaucratic expediences, however politically tone-deaf on their part, undertaken by overwhelmed staff trying to get ahead of a flood of applications to review.

Last edited by Rhumb; 06-24-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #96
Act of God
E46Fanatic

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/25/tw...conservatives/
Quote:
Twelve different groups within the IRS targeted conservative organizations applying for tax-exempt nonprofit status, according to the attorneys representing tea party plaintiffs in a class-action lawsuit against the IRS.

The revelation disproves the suggestion by a top congressional Democrat that only one IRS group was responsible for scrutinizing tea party and conservative applications.

Group 7821, Group 7822, Group 7823, Group 7824, Group 7827, Group 7828, Group 7829, Group 7830, Group 7838, EOG-7887, and EOG-7888, and the Tax Exempt and Government Entities Division in Washington, D.C. all targeted conservative groups between 2010 and 2012, according to documentation compiled by the American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), which has filed a class-action suit against the IRS.
This thing grows like a chia-pet
Old 06-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #97
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
First, it has yet to be determined if this screening was actually illegal or merely politically inappropriate.

While it does seem to be broader and longer lasting than initially thought, that might also repudiate the assertion of specific partisan targeting by these screenings, which is the main gist of Issa's inquest:
"An internal IRS document obtained by The Associated Press said that besides "tea party," lists used by screeners to pick groups for close examination also included the terms "Israel," ''Progressive" and "Occupy.""
This would indicate that they were more interested in any new and burgeoning groups claiming tax exempt status but that might actually not be eligable.

Perhaps this whole 503 tax exempt area needs to be either greatly modified or done away with altogether as basically untenable, but it strikes me, given the above, that this IRS "scandal" merely seems to be technical/bureaucratic expediences, however politically tone-deaf on their part, undertaken by overwhelmed staff trying to get ahead of a flood of applications to review.
The difference is that applications with the more liberal terms like progressive and occupy were, in fact, not treated differently. Only the applications with the more conservative terms were treated differently, meaning, pulled out and directed to special reviewers for heightened scrutiny which resulted in delay or denial.

Look, we don't know where this will end but there is simply no way you can dispute the facts presented thus far warrant serious further investigation. But you continually label this as a manufactured scandal, along with the other current scandals, which only shows your bias. That one scandal might have less legitimacy at this point does not necessarily mean all of the other scandals are illegitimate.

That many of us view this IRS scandal as possible proof of a biased government agency that is vengeful against only one set of political philosophies may not be consistent with your view of the world, but our view is no less valid at this point. And your constant dismissal of this view is proof that you cannot weigh facts objectively.

It may also confound you to know that many of us aren't licking our chops in hopes that this scandal has clear ties to the Obama administration. They are an elected group that are subject to voter sentiments and at least theoretically will be replaced at some point. Rather, the more frightening concern for many of us is that an unelected - and unaccountable due to union laws - bureaucratic agency is the sole source of this scandal. It is no stretch at all to imagine that such an agency would consciously and maliciously seek to deter groups whose primary motivation is the elimination or reduction in said agency's role and existence.

That you give no honest allowance for these views and concerns reveals your lack of serious consideration of the facts.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #98
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
I'm not suggesting that nothing inappropriate, or possibly even illegal occured, rather, I'm suggesting that the inflation of this issue by the GOP for partisan gain is at this point wholly inappropriate and not supported by the facts that we now know.

Yes, this should be looked into more deeply and yes, there are serious issues to be addressed as you well describe, but no, this should not be made non-serious fodder for partisan gamesmanship as Issa is intent on doing. The evidence so far seems to point far more clearly to procedural problems rather than a deeper, more sinister effort to target particular ideological views for suppression or retribution. At this point, specific targeting for political intimidation is only a broad insinuation and speculation rather than an accusation supported by fact. It is telling that one of the main people involved was a Bush appointee and self-described conservative Republican, an odd character to be creating and promulgating policies that would target conservative groups for nefarious purposes.

Of course, should evidence arise that does support a more sinister intent, as distinct from unintended effect, to these practices, i.e., then yes, the full weight of the law should be thrown at all those responsible.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 PM   #99
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2005 330cic ZHP
Right, because clearly we could confidently rely on Cummings to run an unbiased, factual investigation.

I say "could" because Cummings has already declared there is nothing here. Please explain to me how Issa keeping the pressure on amounts to "inflation of this issue by the GOP for partisan gain", yet Cummings' declaration isn't partisan at all?

Rhumb, you speak out of both sides of your mouth. When I call you out, you deny claiming that nothing wrong has occurred yet you have already declared this investigation is "wholly inappropriate and not supported by the facts that we now know." Really? Seems to me the only facts we know now are consistently in support of systemic discrimination against conservative groups. Please give one single fact that proves otherwise. And don't tell me what you think or hope or believe or what may have happened. Give me facts.

In your mind, unless this investigation reveals a single actor or small group of actors who can be identified with smoking guns (memos, etc., declaring their evil intentions) proving he/she/they declared as their goal the oppression of conservative groups, there is no scandal and thus no problem. And unless someone can be charged with some form of crime or impeached, there is no there there.

Let me concede right now that no such smoking guns or actors will be identified or punished, and mental midgets like Lair will continue to declare there was no scandal. Neither point will invalidate the simple fact that conservative groups were discriminated against simply because of their views. That this could occur without the smoking gun that you require is the very essence of why this entire matter is so troubling to many. It should be equally troubling to you, but since the notion of a large government agency being able to discriminate without accountability is consistent with your view of the world, I don't expect you will ever get it.

Last edited by Cabrio330; 06-25-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #100
Act of God
E46Fanatic

IRS gets nailed giving a contract to a "disabled" veteran who...

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/26/ve...ability-claim/
Quote:
At a House oversight hearing Wednesday on "questionable contracting practices at IRS," Illinois Democratic Rep. Tammy Duckworth hammered an IRS contractor for claiming a suspect veterans disability to get a competitive advantage for his business.

Duckworth, an Iraq War veteran and double amputee eviscerated Braulio Castillo, the CEO of Strong Castle, Inc., who used an injury he sustained at a military prep school to qualify for a veterans disability, 27 years after the fact.

"I'm sorry that twisting your ankle in [prep] school has now come back to hurt you in such a painful way - if not also opportune for you to gain the status for your business as you were trying to compete for contracts," Duckworth said.

According to a report on the matter House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa released Tuesday, Braulio Castillo was able to get a designation under the VA's Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business program for his business - as a result of the injury he sustained at U.S. Military Academy Preparatory School, which he attended for one year.

Castillo went on to play football as a quarterback at San Diego City College and later played at the University of San Diego.

"Did you injure that same foot again subsequently, in the years since you twisted it in prep school?" Duckworth asked.

"Not to my recollection," he responded.

Castillo explained that his doctor suggested he seek benefits for his injury sustained in prep school.

Duckworth continued to press.

"Do you feel that the 30 percent rating that you have for the scars and the pain in your foot is accurate to the sacrifices that you've made for this nation?" she asked. "That the VA decision is accurate in this case?"

"Yes, ma'am I do," he responded.

"You know my right arm was essentially blown off and reattached. I spent a year in limb salvage with over a dozen surgeries over that time period and in fact we thought we would lose my arm and I am still in danger of possibly losing my arm. I can't feel it, I can't feel my three fingers. My disability rating for that arm is 20 percent," she said.

Duckworth then read from a letter Castillo sent to a government official in which he claimed he and his family "made considerable sacrifices" for their country, including that his "service-connected" disability "should serve as a testimony to that end." The considerable hardship he claimed are "crosses I bear due to my service to our country and I would do it again to protect this great country."

"Shame on you Mr. Castillo," Duckworth said. "Shame on you, you may not have broken any laws, we are not sure yet, you did misrepresent to the [Small Business Administration] but you certainly broke the trust of this great nation. You broke the trust of veterans. Iraq and Afghanistan veterans right now are waiting an average of 237 days for an initial disability rating and it is because people like you who are gaming the system are adding to that backlog so that young men and women who are suffering from post-traumatic stress, who are missing limbs cannot get the compensation and the help that they need."

"Twisting your ankle in prep school is not defending or serving this nation, Mr. Castillo," she concluded.

House Oversight Committee is looking into contracts Castillo's business secured with the IRS due to his businesses designations and a friendship with a top IRS contracting official potentially worth over $500 million,
What. A. POS.

ALSO

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...-spending?lite
Quote:
The IRS could do a better job of policing employees' spending with government credit cards, a Treasury Department watchdog said Tuesday in a report that found that lax oversight allowed a few bad apples to buy romance novels, diet pills and even porn on the taxpayer's dime.
Go IRS Go IRS Go!

Last edited by Act of God; 06-26-2013 at 10:28 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote