E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
E46 M3 Ultimate Fuel System

Some specs from start to finish:

-Intank Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
-Radium Multi-Pump Fuel Surge Tank
-Two Walbro 400 E85 Fuel Pumps
- -6,-8 AN PTFE Fuel Lines
- Various Anodized Fittings/Bulkheads
- Fuel Lab Fuel Filter (E85 Compatible)
- Fuel Lab Fuel Pressure Regulator w/ Radium Fuel Pressure Gauge
- Radium Fuel Rail with Pulse Dampener
- ID2000 Injectors

This setup won't work with Nav/CD pack equipped cars as the surge tank is mounted where these items are. I have a Dynavin unit which is better than the OEM nav system (IMO) so that is an alternative. Could probably move things around to "make" it fit but regardless I never had that in the first place so plenty of room was available. There is also a notched section for the fuel lines to go through which is paper thin from the factor and reinforced with thicker plate.

The goal was to keep all the trunk space and have everything hidden along with having more fuel than I would ever need...goal was achieved. I had fuel starvation issues at the road course over a year ago and have held off from track events since then because of it...so do I feel that this was a necessary upgrade for me? Yes and it provides peace of mind knowing I can do a WOT pull with under a 1/4 tank of fuel or take a long sweeping corner and mash the gas without going lean.

Keep in mind there is the added safety risk of having fuel system components mounted in the trunk area with this setup, there is no doubt on this and I accept that. We also used several 90' fittings for the best install of this setup. Yes there are pipe flow losses when using bends in any pipe system (Bernoulli's Principle - Basic Flow Dynamics) however my fuel system is over sized and the regulator is mounted close to the rail so there is no worries in regards to having a few 90' fittings...not to mention the flow losses are almost completely negligible when comparing a similar system which has no 90' bends but for the sake of argument yes there are losses but in this case it's not a problem...if you have an undersized pumping solution then yes it would be a problem.

Another awesome feature of these new Walbro 400 E85 fuel pumps is that they are extremely quiet...I cannot hear them turn on which if you've ever heard a loud fuel pump setup you will know how annoying that can be. Just look up a youtube video with the HPF track/drag car with their surge tank/fuel cell setups...so loud.

Check this website for an unbiased comparison of several in-demand fuel pumps: http://radiumauto.com/media/techarti...l-Pump-Test-87

While this setup may not be for everyone (which it isn't)...it was custom made for my requirements and I am more than pleased with the outcome.

I think pictures speak better than words:

And this was what we made with the new system yesterday:
(Fuel system had plenty more left in it FYI)

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #2
Estoril-E46

My Ride: M3
90 degree fittings aren't that big of a deal, even 1000hp fuel systems are pretty low flow. Hose size is often over emphasized too, the place it's critical is on the return line as changes in pressure there can make for some interesting quirks in pressure.

www.Precision-Sport.com
Estoril-E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post

Dat Fuel System!

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
dallasberry

My Ride: ///M3
Just when we thought you couldn't do any more to make this car better, you go and blow the lid off of any limits that were previously there. Nice work!

Borgwarner S467/Custom Twinscroll Tubular Manifold/Lab22-Radium E85 Fuel System/Brembo
792whp @ 555wtq 15psi E98

dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Very nice.

I'm curious how the pumps are wired, and if the return from the FPR goes to the surge tank or main fuel tank.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
SexiPYm3

My Ride: 03 M3
Niiiiiiiice... You have done some incredible things with your car. I can't imagine how much money you have spent thus far
SexiPYm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #7
Sound Performance
Past Site Sponsor

Location: Well, Dick, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff.
My Ride: Is very FAST
Very nice!!
Sound Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Very nice.

I'm curious how the pumps are wired, and if the return from the FPR goes to the surge tank or main fuel tank.
Wired internally you mean? Return from the FPR goes to the Surge tank. There is also a return from the surge tank to the main fuel tank as well.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #9
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexiPYm3 View Post
Niiiiiiiice... You have done some incredible things with your car. I can't imagine how much money you have spent thus far
Perfection isn't cheap...almost there lol.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #10
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: HPF M3 2.5+
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
E46 M3 Ultimate Fuel System

Quote:
Perfection isn't cheap...almost there lol.
now thats some serious usable power and torque... hang on tight thats all I can say...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #11
Commanderwiggin

I forgot to post low boost graphs...lol. There was a plug change after this as the plugs I had in there before were exactly a year old. One plug the threads broke apart

The plug that broke was an IXU01-27...my new/old plugs are IXU-27's I had as spares. New set of plugs will be thrown in before I head back home.

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 05-23-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 AM   #12
leletyM3

My Ride: 05 M3
Lovely set up!!! Low boost still a monster!!!

HPF Stg2 Turbo 640rwhp, Eisenmann Race 83mmx4, Volk TE37 TA, Toyo T1R, Brembo BBK 380mm 6pots & 345, 6k HID, 6K HID Fogs, Depo Smoked Corners, Strassentech Front Lip, V-CSL Bootlid, V-CSL Diffuser

leletyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:32 AM   #13
mike@maximumpsi
boost junky

My Ride: 02M3T, 97M3T
Looking great!
Click here for E46Fanatics 1/4 mile standings
Email us at sales@maximumpsi.com!
Like us on facebook to follow our latest builds and upcoming events! - facebook.com/maximumpsi
mike@maximumpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Looks like a solid, stout setup without worries of meth leaks and failures causing motor damage!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:14 AM   #15
Twin_Turbo_S54

Kenton,

The location is dangerous. In case of a side collision fuel will leak, and once it happens it will leak on hot exhaust. FIRE.

You can remove the tank and place between two rear struts. Will not look as clean as it is now but much much safer.

4,23 s 60-130 mph E46 M3 TT
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:44 AM   #16
mkodama

Wait, so you
1. cut a notch creating a huge stress riser in a structural part of your chassis that protects you from a rearward accident on your street driven car without a cage,
2. then you routed fuel lines inside of this notch so that if you get any impact on the side or end of that rail, it collapse at the huge stress riser and will chop all those fuel lines,
3. and you haven't bothered to follow basic safety practices and seal off your fuel system from your cabin?

It's like 1:40am for me so I'm kinda tired, but am I missing something or was there a huge oversight in safety here?
mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #17
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
Kenton,

The location is dangerous. In case of a side collision fuel will leak, and once it happens it will leak on hot exhaust. FIRE.

You can remove the tank and place between two rear struts. Will not look as clean as it is now but much much safer.
I stated in the original post my reasoning and risk analysis; I have gauged the risk as being highly unlikely...on a side note no more risk of meth catching on fire in the engine bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Wait, so you
1. cut a notch creating a huge stress riser in a structural part of your chassis that protects you from a rearward accident on your street driven car without a cage,
2. then you routed fuel lines inside of this notch so that if you get any impact on the side or end of that rail, it collapse at the huge stress riser and will chop all those fuel lines,
3. and you haven't bothered to follow basic safety practices and seal off your fuel system from your cabin?

It's like 1:40am for me so I'm kinda tired, but am I missing something or was there a huge oversight in safety here?
The notch was cut in a non-structural, paper thin portion of the rear that was reinforced with 1/4 plate around the seams. Regardless as stated in the original post I am fine with the added risk and strongly believe that in a side impact or rear impact there would be no loss of containment.

I do see where you are going with this however; you are not wrong to say there is added risk by any means...so for all intensive purposes to your argument yes you are correct in your logic.

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 05-24-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #18
Twin_Turbo_S54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Wait, so you

you are % 100 correct but sometimes we all strive for more power and dont put emphasis on safety.

4,23 s 60-130 mph E46 M3 TT
Twin_Turbo_S54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:09 AM   #19
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo_S54 View Post
you are % 100 correct but sometimes we all strive for more power and dont put emphasis on safety.
Mert you perform 60-130 testing quite actively on public roads. Safety is not in your dictionary.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #20
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
I stated in the original post my reasoning and risk analysis; I have gauged the risk as being highly unlikely...on a side note no more risk of meth catching on fire in the engine bay.

The notch was cut in a non-structural, paper thin portion of the rear that was reinforced with 1/4 plate around the seams. Regardless as stated in the original post I am fine with the added risk and strongly believe that in a side impact or rear impact there would be no loss of containment.

I do see where you are going with this however; you are not wrong to say there is added risk by any means.
This is just my own opinion, but I think any time you deviate from OEM, you are likely to progress deeper into a risk matrix. The OEM's, especially the German ones, are pretty paranoid about potential risk, more so than actual risk.

Personally, in a crash, I think that 1/4" steel notch structure is going to be the only thing that survives! And the radium surge tank would probably just be pushed around. While on the other side of the chassis, I've seen a few dry sump tanks (Mounted where our battery is on the E46) take quite a hit in road race cars, and they simply seem to be pushed around or broken free of their mounting point from rear-end collisions.

I kind of have a similar thing going on, but with meth.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote