E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
sihyonkim

My Ride: E46 325i
Should I do the cooling system maintenance?

Hi all,

My 325i is at nearly 135,000kms. I don't have any issues with coolant leaks etc, but should I do the cooling system overhaul soon (minus the radiator)? If I do, I am thinking of changing the belts/pulleys as well.....

Would like to get the parts from clickable, but they ran out of stock for water pump. Any other places where I could get the water pump locally, other than dealers?

Thanks!
sihyonkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
I did, but I wouldn't do it again. I no longer believe in excessive preventative maintenance. Wait for signs of imminent failure and replace then.

Last edited by Dreamliner330; 05-23-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Jall

My Ride: 328Ci
I'd be checking your belts and pulleys for wear first on that list.
RE. cooling system, as above, you can get excessive with preventative maintenance.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Brissyjohn

My Ride: 2003 325ti
Agree with the above. Just keep checking for any signs of leaks and check the belt for deterioration/cracking. Also listen for squeaking or other strange noises (pulleys/tensioners/water pump) while the engine is running. Mine has done 155,000 and all seems good so far in the cooling department. I check around my engine bay every time the car is washed - about every two weeks or so.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
I've overheated and seen overheated enough BMW's to believe in proper preventative maintenance. You can run your Hilux in the red a thousand times without a worry, but you overheat your BMW and your engine turns to pudding in a heartbeat. No thank you.

I personally believe in preventative maintenance over the entire car, but if you don't I can understand that. However, when it comes to the cooling system, don't be skimpy.

New cooling system = $300.
New engine = $2000+ and time off road
Your choice.

E.g. I recently re-did my cooling system at 8yrs and 160,000km. I noticed I'd already had a new water pump and thermostat prior to me. However, my upper hose was split and my lower hose was brittle, plus my transmission thermostat was trashed. It was well due and could have been prevented if the previous idiots had replaced everything like they should have while they had it apart.
The only thing I didn't replace was my radiator, and now the upper neck is leaking, so I have to pull it down again.

____________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Also, check out Mango's cooling list on the general forums. It's missing a few parts (you'll have to search around realoem.com to find them, and I'd also suggest heater hoses if you want to be super anal) but almost entirely comprehensive.

I would just get my parts from Pelican or BMA (my choice). Better range and cheaper in bulk.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
Do it, and do it right the first time. Replace everything that could possibly fail.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
trive2

Parts are so cheap, whether its your time or time you're paying for, it's easier and cheaper just to do it all at once. The reason cars like this have a reputation for being unreliable is because cheap people replace things one at a time instead of being comprehensive and it bites them repeatedly and expensively.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
Gee Emm

My Ride: 2000 325Ci Auto :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by trive2 View Post
plus my transmission thermostat was trashed.
my auto thermostat was also phucked.
I baulked at the ~$95 extra when I bought the other parts.
Rumour has it that nearly all are, so pay the extra while you have the expansion tank etc apart.

I have replaced all hoses & all cooling bits, except radiator.

But, I did wait until one item needed attention eg thermostat housing & pump housing weeping.

Just do it!

Graham
Gee Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:13 AM   #9
trive2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Emm View Post
my auto thermostat was also phucked.
I baulked at the ~$95 extra when I bought the other parts.
Rumour has it that nearly all are, so pay the extra while you have the expansion tank etc apart.

I have replaced all hoses & all cooling bits, except radiator.

But, I did wait until one item needed attention eg thermostat housing & pump housing weeping.

Just do it!

Graham
My transmission thermostat combined with some sort of phenomenon (we suspect the change from blue to green coolant was part of it) to completely clog up the transmission cooler with some sort of near solid jelly.

It nearly destroyed my gearbox and no one could figure out why. After running for a while, irrelevant to driving style, it'd start slamming gears. Once it went into limp mode.

I had a full fluid flush at 150,000km and the guy said he had to use 20L of fluid to get it clean, he'd only quoted me 12L (and didn't charge me extra!). Said it was blacker than diesel oil.
Figured it out when I did my cooling system about 5,000km later and found the slush.

No one could tell me why, not even the gearbox shop. Turns out it was overheating.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
asdetail

My Ride: 2002 325ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brissyjohn View Post
Agree with the above. Just keep checking for any signs of leaks and check the belt for deterioration/cracking. Also listen for squeaking or other strange noises (pulleys/tensioners/water pump) while the engine is running. Mine has done 155,000 and all seems good so far in the cooling department. I check around my engine bay every time the car is washed - about every two weeks or so.
+1,very good advice,my 325 has done 143k and I generally scrutinise the underbonnet every couple of weeks for strange noises and coolant and oil leaks,sofar my vigilance has lead me to replace the radiator,serpentine belt, and idler pulleys,why get anal and start fixing things that aint broke?(leave that to our government!).
Having owned and repaired a multitude of different vehicles over the last 30 years this routine has served me well.
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #11
spacemaster

My Ride: E46 328i
I did mine at the same Kms as your, few months ago. I will not to worry about it for another 100k, which is another 5 years. I am glad I did. Sometime thermostat and water pump does not show wear before it fails.

If you can do it. Go ahead. You will understand more about your car..... That is another benefits.

Last edited by spacemaster; 05-25-2013 at 03:29 AM.
spacemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #12
sihyonkim

Thanks for all the advice. When I read one side I lean towards it and then read another side....I cant make up my mind!! I think I will ask my mechanic for his opinion as well
Old 05-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #13
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i

As a former mechanic and BMW tech, I'd say wait until something fails or looks suspect... Maybe get a coolant system flush if you want to do something. I live by "if it ain't broke don't fix it" on my cars... That's just my opinion though and everyone has there own.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #14
awesomechinz

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i sedan

In b4 mango...
On another note, I would do the cooling system so you don't get screwed while driving down the road to somewhere important

brown magic
awesomechinz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
TurnersInOz

My Ride: 2004 325i
If there is a reason to work on it, replace it all.
If there are no issues, leave it alone.
If you want the peace of mind that comes with a shiny new cooling system, do it. But do it all in one go.
You'll never get a solid consensus on this topic, it really comes down to what you are comfortable with.
TurnersInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #16
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
In b4 mango too!

I do preventative maintenance because it is $200-$300 and is a lot cheaper than breaking doen in a different state and paying all the inconvenient costs.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:45 AM   #17
TonyJ

My Ride: E46 330i
I'm quite surprised your cooling system is in such a good condition after 130k. When I bought mine one 11xk there was no leak in PPI. But couple of months later I had the following issues:

Drive belt noise - due to failed pulley
Expansion tank leak at the bottom
Thermalstat gasket leak
Radiator leak at side

Water pump is surprisingly good - appears to be original
Belts are good but seems to have been changed - none OEM

So I did my preventive only on water pump and 2 radiator hoses. All others are already due.
TonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #18
trive2

Exactly. For just over $300 it's cheaper and easier to just do it all at once.

You would waste potential hours of your time disassembling the same things over and over every time something fails? AND potentially cook an engine or put yourself out for days/weeks for a sudden failure....

To save what, $100?

Just do it.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
trive2

Exactly. For just over $300 it's cheaper and easier to just do it all at once.

You would waste potential hours of your time disassembling the same things over and over every time something fails? AND potentially cook an engine or put yourself out for days/weeks for a sudden failure....

To save what, $100?

Just do it.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:05 AM   #20
sihyonkim

Got quoted around $1200 by my indie to do the system: tank, hoses, thermostat, sensors, water pump. Is that a fair price?