E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Dino1394

My Ride: 04 330xi
Bad cat?

What are the odds my cat is starting to go?

Ive been battling, a P0430 code since a week after I got the car.

Ive switched out the connectors between both post cat sensors and the same bank 2 code pops up.

I have a month left so I can get re-inspected for emissions

Any suggestions?
Dino1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
If MA is like NC in terms of ODB2 inspection, you are allowed to pass with 1 monitor that is not ready. What you do is next time you reset the cel, drive only in the city, not the highway for a few days. the car should pass all of it's readiness monitors other than cat efficiency, at which point you jam on over to the closest inspection station and get them to inspect your car. do remember e46s need to pass secondary air, so make sure the car sits still for 3 minutes on a cold morning for it to pass that monitor. But yeah, sounds like you need a gato.

tl/dr: get headers they're amazing. when MA tries to fine you for not passing inspection, write your own version of Henry Thoreau's Civil Disobedience

Last edited by redbull 325is; 05-26-2013 at 08:57 AM.
redbull 325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Dino1394

Re: Bad cat?

That sounds like a good plan. However does NC require the catalyst monitor to be ready to be reinspected if it failed emissions once? The car failed twice but the first one was a couple months ago and the time period ran out since the car sat in the body shop.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

EDIT: I just looked at your ride from the PC, your car is a touring with a 6 speed swap?

Last edited by Dino1394; 05-26-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Rare is it that owners report cat failure unless it has burning oil issues or very high mileage. You say you swapped connectors on the post sensors and continue to get the code. Same code? The problem could be an O2 sensor(s) if the code moved do the other bank.

No time? Take your code reader with you and give that baby a reset sitting in line. Works in my state.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 05-26-2013 at 11:49 AM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Dino1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post
Rare is it that owners report cat failure unless it has burning oil issues or very high mileage. You say you swapped connectors on the post sensors and continue to get the code. Same code? The problem could be an O2 sensor(s) if the code moved do the other bank.

No time? Take your code reader with you and give that baby a reset sitting in line. Works in my state.
car has 176k on it.

and yeah swapping the connectors for the post cat sensors (connectors closest to intake manifold right?) didnt change what bank the code was stored in, even after clearing the code after swapping them

I tried clearing the code the day before going lol but upon plugging the car up to the machine i was turned away because none of the sensors were ready.

Just as stated above im only allowed one sensor to be read as not ready
Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #6
Dino1394

OMG im an idiot. upon doing some google searching I noticed that p0430 seemed odd, so I went digging into my posts on bimmerfest and found out the code was p0420

now its p0430. So yes it the it did switch according to the codes. So that means the post o2 for bank 1 is at fault and needs to be changed?
Old 05-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
That sounds like a good plan. However does NC require the catalyst monitor to be ready to be reinspected if it failed emissions once? The car failed twice but the first one was a couple months ago and the time period ran out since the car sat in the body shop.

EDIT: I just looked at your ride from the PC, your car is a touring with a 6 speed swap?
yup
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_Knuckles View Post

that doesn't work in any state that checks for readiness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1394 View Post
OMG im an idiot. upon doing some google searching I noticed that p0430 seemed odd, so I went digging into my posts on bimmerfest and found out the code was p0420

now its p0430. So yes it the it did switch according to the codes. So that means the post o2 for bank 1 is at fault and needs to be changed?
You can always throw two new rear o2 senors on there first
Old 05-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #8
Dino1394

Re: Bad cat?

Any suggestions on getting the o2s out? Very little room to work with.

Unless I need to get the cat higher than what the ramps gives?