E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
J.DoubleU.O.

My Ride: ...
L5 S1 Microdisectomy back surgery - June 3rd

So it's now confirmed. I'm scheduled to have L5 S1 microdiscectomy on my lower back June 3rd. They'll be removing the majority of my L5 disc which had been causing me so many issues. The hope, according to my Doctors, is that it will keep me from having to have my L4 L5 vertebrae fused in the future. My disc is almost completely protruding from my spine and has cut off my S1 nerve root, along with having degenerative disc disorder/disease (can't remember which it was stated I have) and spinal fluid that had leaked I to my vertebrae. I already got a 2nd opinion and consulted a chiropractor to ensure it's the best solution, as it's gotten progressively worse. I should gain full feeling back in my left foot and leg. It's supposed to be a fairly minor procedure for back surgery.

What sucks? Well, it's back surgery, so in itself it sucks, but i'll be stuck in a back brace for 3-6 weeks, out of work 2-4 weeks, not allowed to lift anything heavier then a jug of milk for 30-60 days and not allowed to resume working out - other then walking on a treadmill or using a stationary bike or elliptical - for 3 months. I have no idea how I'm going to be laid up for the 1st week or 2, since I have a hard time not doing anything and just lying around for a few hours. And I can't imagine taking 3 months off from the gym, it's an addiction and I honestly don't know how I'll be able to do that.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by J.DoubleU.O.; 05-23-2013 at 06:45 PM.
J.DoubleU.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
This sucks bro. Wish you the best. I guess you're done with DLs and squats for few years.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Buck Henry

My Ride: 2001 330ci Convertib
My disectomy story!

Had pretty much the same thing, but hate to report that my situation did not go well! I had a microdisectomy on the disc between L4 and L5 about 3 years ago. Surgery was successful and recovery was pretty easy actually. Within days of the operation, I was up and about and all the intense pain I had lived with was gone! But this is where my story gets interesting. 3 weeks after the operation I was feeling great and was cleared to lift up to 20 pounds and also had returned to work. One day I was clearing a clogged toilet in my basement and I turned to pick up the plunger and heard a loud "pop" from my lower back, followed by a very sharp pain. All I could say was "uh oh!" as I knew something was wrong.

What I heard was the vertebrae they drilled through for the disectomy fracturing! Major problem the small chunk of bone that broke off floated down and popped a hole in my spinal sack and all my spinal fluid leaked out. They had rush me to the hospital and open me back up and repair the hole in the spinal sack as spinal fluid does not clot like blood. And if that was not enough, after the 2nd surgery, the pain just would not go away. They ended up doing another MRI and found out that a damn infection had set up on my spine. Well, it was back to the hospital again and I had to do intravenous IV's for 6 phucking weeks to clear it up the infection. And the pain from the infection was just aweful! All this lasted for months on end and I was eating percocets and lortabs like candy just to keep from putting a bullet in my head.

All is fine now and I am sure your surgery will go smoothly (my complications are very very rare according to my surgeon) Not telling this story to scare you, and the odds are you will be just fine. But my story shows that a lot can go wrong even with a simple procedure. Best of luck and make damn sure they wash those tools before you let them stick them in your back!!!!
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
Brevik

My Ride: Tiag M3
Best of luck man. I have had a herniated l4 and l5 for the past 10 years (I am 37 now) and it sucks. I was able to keep everything in check with PT and pills when it flairs up, but I am sure I will need to do something more drastic in the future as my problems surface more often (numb left leg, severe pain and general quality of life issues).

Please take it easy and post your feedback on the process.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #5
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Damn man. Just chill out eat clean.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I have the same thing, L5 S1 also, not as bad as you but it makes life fckin suck. Debating surgery as I've been ok with PT. sucks though, hope the surgery goes well for you!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Oh my God man I'm so sorry to hear this

This makes me absolutely terrified to deadlift... How did you injure your back again?
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
J.DoubleU.O.

My Ride: ...
L5 S1 Microdisectomy back surgery - June 3rd

Thanks guys. It's frustrating. But I figure if recovery goes well, I'll resume working out in about 8 weeks, depending. I figure I'll be back to squatting in 3-4 months, dead lift I'm a little more nervous about. I haven't done dead lift since last June, when this first became a major issue. I'll just have to slowly build my way back into everything after. But I figure I have a little over a week to pop my pain meds and kill it as hard as I can before surgery. I'm looking at it as a minor temporary setback. I'm not going to let it get me to discouraged. I'll deal with it and move on.

J.DoubleU.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.DoubleU.O. View Post
Thanks guys. It's frustrating. But I figure if recovery goes well, I'll resume working out in about 8 weeks, depending. I figure I'll be back to squatting in 3-4 months, dead lift I'm a little more nervous about. I haven't done dead lift since last June, when this first became a major issue. I'll just have to slowly build my way back into everything after. But I figure I have a little over a week to pop my pain meds and kill it as hard as I can before surgery. I'm looking at it as a minor temporary setback. I'm not going to let it get me to discouraged. I'll deal with it and move on.

The best possible mind set you could take with it. When I got injured and couldn't lift, I focused on eating right, doing everything I can to prepare myself for a freakishly fierce comeback. I even grew my hair an beard out over the rest time and the first day I went back to the gym to crush it, I shaved everything and buzzed my hair off an fuucking went to town. It felt great. You'll do the same.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote