E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
When something goes bump in the night.

Is the first thing you do is get your firearm? My family has been in retail gas business for many years so my father trained me since I was kid to be extra alert all the time (especially at night at home, many GS owners get there homes invaded). Call me paranoid but if I hear a noise at night or see a car infront of my house (live In a culdesac) the first thing I do is grab a firearm and assess the situation and do what I gota do.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
The first thing I do is look at my alarm keypad and listen.

I have a fantastic alarm system, so I know there is very little chance of someone inside in my home.

If I do hear something else outside, I grab my gun off my nightstand and I walk to my office and look at my camera monitors.

I have two cats, so I can't panic every time I hear a "bump"

Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 05-24-2013 at 10:43 AM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
the dogs always bark if someone comes around so i usually just listen to how they react.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Grab my nearest firearm and flashlight, then start checking it out. Even if I think it is probably nothing, I get prepared in case I'm wrong.

Heck, I saw a fishy looking car (beater) that rolled up in front of my house one night just after dusk (8pm), they killed the lights and sat there for a few minutes. I was rocking my daughter and was monitoring them outside the window. I put my daughter down to bed, ran to my room (nearest firearm/flashlights). While I was doing that, someone rang the doorbell. I killed the interior lights and could see the silihouette at the front door...looked like an adolescent kid in a boy scout uniform. I tossed the exterior lights on, did a 180 scan, and it was, in fact a f*cking boy scout. I opened the door and informed him that it was not a good idea to be ringing stranger's doors after dark and that his parents would be wise to take him on home. I don't blame the kid, just the retarded parents who went to a "nice neighborhood" to get some extra sales selling popcorn or whatever.

I've had 2 attempted break in scenarios at my old house....so glad I moved. It could happen anywhere though. They were both in broad daylight.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
GasKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post

I have a fantastic alarm system, so I know there is very little chance of someone inside in my home.

If I do hear something else, I grab my gun off my nightstand and I walk to my office and look at my camera monitors.

Yea pretty much same procedure here. I run a spot monitor for each stores security system in my bed room, and have my houses sec system locally connected from my computer. Also what makes my house a tactical nightmare that it is bay front. I pretty much live on an peninsula and there have been home invasions where people come by boat.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Is the first thing you do is get your firearm? My family has been in retail gas business for many years so my father trained me since I was kid to be extra alert all the time (especially at night at home, many GS owners get there homes invaded). Call me paranoid but if I hear a noise at night or see a car infront of my house (live In a culdesac) the first thing I do is grab a firearm and assess the situation and do what I gota do.

Curious about this statement. Are GS owners more likely to have their home invaded? If so, why?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMan View Post

If I do hear something else outside, I grab my gun off my nightstand and I walk to my office and look at my camera monitors.

See this is what I want in my place in NY. I'm gonna fly you up and have you build it for me haha. 8 access doors on the ground floor, 35-40 ground floor windows. And then there's upstairs. I'd love for the place to be a fortress.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
GasKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Curious about this statement. Are GS owners more likely to have their home invaded? If so, why?
Majority of the business is cash. GS sell thousands of gallons a day, and most owners have multiple locations. So crooks thinks there is cash in our houses, given most amateur owners do keep cash in there houses. I have 7 friends in the last year that have had home invasions with 3-5 people kicking down there door. It's usually ex employees that set you up with gang members for a share of the take.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #9
GasKing

I must say the local authorities here take this issue very seriously. I wonder if our large donations have anything to do with it

Old 05-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Majority of the business is cash. GS sell thousands of gallons a day, and most owners have multiple locations. So crooks thinks there is cash in our houses, given most amateur owners do keep cash in there houses. I have 7 friends in the last year that have had home invasions with 3-5 people kicking down there door. It's usually ex employees that set you up with gang members for a share of the take.

Certainly didn't know that. These robbers don't consider that business owners may store money in a bank? Especially in 2013.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #11
GasKing

There more after the days take. Banks close at 5-6. Stations are open 24 hours. Most places deposit today's take tommorow. A high volume store can easily do 60k a day in sales 70-75% of that in cash

Old 05-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I listen to what my dog does. If he's barking for no reason, I know what that sounds like. If he's barking at someone outside the house, I know that too. I grab the gun and light if I think something's happening.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #13
Sentaruu

it's amazing how a dog's owner grows to learn and trust their dog's reactions.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #14
GasKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
Word. My dogs 14 and going deaf now . We listened for years but the last year he's lost most of his hearing.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #15
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
Grab my nearest firearm and flashlight, then start checking it out. Even if I think it is probably nothing, I get prepared in case I'm wrong.

Heck, I saw a fishy looking car (beater) that rolled up in front of my house one night just after dusk (8pm), they killed the lights and sat there for a few minutes. I was rocking my daughter and was monitoring them outside the window. I put my daughter down to bed, ran to my room (nearest firearm/flashlights). While I was doing that, someone rang the doorbell. I killed the interior lights and could see the silihouette at the front door...looked like an adolescent kid in a boy scout uniform. I tossed the exterior lights on, did a 180 scan, and it was, in fact a f*cking boy scout. I opened the door and informed him that it was not a good idea to be ringing stranger's doors after dark and that his parents would be wise to take him on home. I don't blame the kid, just the retarded parents who went to a "nice neighborhood" to get some extra sales selling popcorn or whatever.

I've had 2 attempted break in scenarios at my old house....so glad I moved. It could happen anywhere though. They were both in broad daylight.
Don't forget the majority of people are at work during the day!

BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #16
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
Certainly. However, I have always come to the expectation that my dogs wouldn't survive a breakin. Any determined thief would simple put them down.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
Sentaruu

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Certainly. However, I have always come to the expectation that my dogs wouldn't survive a breakin. Any determined thief would simple put them down.
+1, but barking dogs surely are a bit of a deterrent to a bad guy. i could only hope that the dogs would occupy them until i can put a few 5.56 rounds into their chest and face.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #18
Marshmallow
Yacht Club Libertarian

My Ride: E46, E30, Quattro

When I was 10, my house was broken into while my sister and I were home alone. I grabbed a kitchen knife, took us to my parent's bedroom and had her barricade the door while I unlocked my dad's gun. Their bedroom has 3 exterior walls and so 270 degrees of view. It was he perfect tactical spot. I called the police and had the gun ready. My parents obviously didn't give me the gun safe combination but I secretly watched my dad open it once so I knew the combination. Luckily, I didn't have to use it because they only made it into the garage by the time police arrived. Our house is pretty secure but I don't think they were the best of thieves.

2003 BMW 325xiT "Audrey"
1987 BMW 325i "Lydia"
1990 Audi 90 Quattro Sport 20v "Chloe"

Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #19
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
I'm not worried. No ones getting within 50 feet of my house without being on multiple video cameras and not inside it without an alarm going off.

If I hear something alarming enough, I grab my 820 Lumen Fenix TK-35 first and then make a choice to go handgun or long gun. Wife grabs the weapon of her choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 05-24-2013 at 08:26 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #20
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Re: When something goes bump in the night.

Good point about the dogs. Mine have plenty of moments where they bark about nothing but when they mean business I know it. It is odd how certain people set them off...great part of a home security system.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote