E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
How much do you let life get in the way of health/fitness?

I've been working some pretty long hours lately and it got me wondering about this. If I could rank my priorities for my free time, it would be:
1. eating
2. hygiene
3. lifting
4. friends/girlfriend
5. everything else

This basically means that, even if I get home from work around 9 PM, I'll still lift for an hour after scarfing down a quick meal. I feel like the fact that I pretty much see exercise as an obligation at this point really helps me get my reps in (although it makes me mildly miserable sometimes too). Most people would come home from an especially long day of work and be lazy for the rest of the night; I just couldn't ever stand to do that. Even if I have just a single hour of free time when I get home from work, that hour is being spent in the gym.

In terms of diet, I'm pretty healthy for regular meals, but I tend to cave when I'm in a social situation. Lately, I've been realizing that it's almost always someone's birthday/celebration/whatever, and I need to start cutting back on junk food and drinking, even if I'm at a party.

Last edited by Mike Larry; 05-24-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Auto-save 1369423719
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: M4 and Range Rover S
Lifting is just as much a lifestyle for me as my profession and Capoeira. It will ALWAYS remain a priority (..for as long as I am mobile and able), so even if I'm pressed for time, I will still get it in. Friends, girlfriends, etc. will never get in the way of that. That's not to say that I don't compromise by switching days/times/etc., but I will never sacrifice my workouts completely. It's for this reason that I hang with like-minded people. I once dated a girl who wasn't into working out (..she just ran every now and then) and it caused issues.

P.S. Eating is part & parcel to lifting, so I don't separate them.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
same here. if baseball is done for me, I need to keep my competitiveness and maybe try it out in crossfit.

Itis hard to just stop competing cold turkey.

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 05-24-2013 at 02:16 PM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
same here. if baseball is done for me, I need to keep my competitiveness and maybe try it out in crossfit.

Itis hard to just stop competing cold turkey.

You'd do awesome in competitive CF bro.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Luckily for me my girlfriend is a fitness freak like me, and is always pressuring me to stay on my game and eat better etc. Luckily for me I enlisted in the military, and my career will be revolving around fitness especially if I ever go special forces (or try to) I just get so high on the fact that my body is constantly producing and refining itself and getting healthier and healthier and stronger that if I can't workout, or go increase that feeling, I have a tough time enjoying other things. Even when I went to MEPs for the military processing everyone else went out for pizza and game night and I hung back at the hotel and crushed it in the gym. I guess you could say it is my life, and its a life I'm happy to lead.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Working out is a part of my life now.

Fortunately my work has a crossfit sponsored class during lunch time.

I unfortunately eat late as a result of two a day workouts and yoga every now and then.

You make the time - I work 10-11 hour days regularly

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I try to keep a balance, I plan things around my gym days.... and keep gym days to 3 days a week so I have 4 other days to achieve things. Sometimes you have to miss (like when I went on golfing trip directly after work friday) but a missed workout out of an otherwise perfect month is nothing.

Eating I am more anal about. Great timing, today we had a company BBQ... premade hamburgers and hotdogs. I brought a pulled pork lunch and ate that beforehand, and then went and was social for the BBQ. Ignored the cake and pop. Sometimes people say stuff (a fat woman asked me if I was watching my figure & that a burger wasn't going to kill me, it took all my professionalism to not retort with "hows that working out for you?" ) Usually I just say I already ate & forgot we were having BBQ etc. People will leave you alone. Never say you are eating a special way or whatever, you get judged and questioned.

I try and eat healthy 100% of the time so that when I am forced to eat something I can just enjoy it and not feel guilty.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Now that I am seeing results working out has become a big part of my life, this forum has really helped too. I just need to stop injuring myself.

Last edited by bgsmith; 05-24-2013 at 02:49 PM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
I try to keep a balance, I plan things around my gym days.... and keep gym days to 3 days a week so I have 4 other days to achieve things. Sometimes you have to miss (like when I went on golfing trip directly after work friday) but a missed workout out of an otherwise perfect month is nothing.

Eating I am more anal about. Great timing, today we had a company BBQ... premade hamburgers and hotdogs. I brought a pulled pork lunch and ate that beforehand, and then went and was social for the BBQ. Ignored the cake and pop. Sometimes people say stuff (a fat woman asked me if I was watching my figure & that a burger wasn't going to kill me, it took all my professionalism to not retort with "hows that working out for you?" ) Usually I just say I already ate & forgot we were having BBQ etc. People will leave you alone. Never say you are eating a special way or whatever, you get judged and questioned.

I try and eat healthy 100% of the time so that when I am forced to eat something I can just enjoy it and not feel guilty.
see that's a good example of where i'd likely let life get in the way of fitness. if i were in your situation, i'd base whether i would cheat on my diet on how good the food at that bbq was. if it was cheap, run-of-the-mill hamburgers and hot dogs, i'd probably be able to resist. if it were pretty high-quality stuff though, i wouldnt be able to resist.

i've mentioned before that people in my office are always bringing in free treats. i've worked my willpower up to resisting anything "typical" like dunkin donuts, bagels, etc., but if someone brings in cannolis, you better believe i'm beasting that

i actually have a bbq with a bunch of friends this sunday. i already know i'm gonna gorge

Last edited by Mike Larry; 05-24-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
see that's a good example of where i'd likely let life get in the way of fitness. if i were in your situation, i'd base whether i would cheat on my diet on how good the food at that bbq was. if it was cheap, run-of-the-mill hamburgers and hot dogs, i'd probably be able to resist. if it were pretty high-quality stuff though, i wouldnt be able to resist.
Same here! I eat good most of the time so that I can kill it when I want. I don't see BBQ'd chicken/beef/pork as "bad food" though, so I guess it's a matter of perspective/opinion.

P.S. Wednesday night I purchased a 1/2 gallon of Dreyers Slow Churn Cookies & Cream Ice Cream. I ate half of the container that night and the other half last night. The best binge ever!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 05-24-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Same here! I eat good most of the time so that I can kill it when I want. I don't see BBQ'd chicken/beef/pork as "bad food" though, so I guess it's a matter of perspective/opinion.

P.S. Wednesday night I purchased a 1/2 gallon of Dreyers Slow Churn Cookies & Cream Ice Cream. I ate half of the container that night and the other half last night. The best binge ever!
mos def (dabears said his bbq was just premade burgers/hot dogs though); i'm so thankful that i don't have a sweet tooth and that my cheat foods mainly consist of fatty meats. your macros are still salvageable even if you have a big ass ribeye steak if you know what you're doing. it wouldn't be so easy if what you're craving is a big slice of cheesecake
Old 05-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
M3Inline6

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1369425587.040808.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	507357

My basket from Wednesday's mid-week mini food run. All good except for that pesky ice cream.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by M3Inline6; 05-24-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
M3Inline6

Quote:
mos def (dabears said his bbq was just premade burgers/hot dogs though); i'm so thankful that i don't have a sweet tooth and that my cheat foods mainly consist of fatty meats. your macros are still salvageable even if you have a big ass ribeye steak if you know what you're doing. it wouldn't be so easy if what you're craving is a big slice of cheesecake

Speaking of cheesecake.....

...I went through an entire Marie Calendar's Cream Cheese pie in a day. Damn that was delicious!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
dabears

luckily my idea of healthy includes pretty much anything you can BBQ. steak, chicken, pork, even some sausages. It depends on the source of the food (like you said).

I don't eat the typical conventionally healthy way, which is high in carbs, moderate to low protein, and low fat made up of veggies, fruits, and fat free meat (chicken, turkey, lean cuts of beef etc), and whole grains. Fat makes up 40-50% of my daily intake

My problem is bread/pasta and processed goods. They are EVERYWHERE.

For example I happen to think homemade mayonnaise is perfectly fine (technically aioli since I use olive oil, not vegetable oil). But it only lasts in fridge 1-2 days because of the raw yolks... makes you wonder how storebought mayo can sit on the shelf. Yeah, not touching that.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Lets say I have skipped on some dates and sex so I can go workout. Glad I did, sex and other things are always around, but time missed to workout is not.

I need to lift, otherwise, I'll go nuts. Eating and lifting go hand-in-hand.

Annoying part is at social gatherings when people say oh why are not you drinking beer/soda or eating cake? You're a fit person, you can eat. Worst part is at work, where we have different types of junk food, pizza, soda, all for free. Every other day I have to hear "a slice of pizza won't kill ya". I have complained to the resources' manager to bring in some healthy snacks, she said no one will eat them.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #16
Mike Larry

Quote:
luckily my idea of healthy includes pretty much anything you can BBQ. steak, chicken, pork, even some sausages. It depends on the source of the food (like you said).

I don't eat the typical conventionally healthy way, which is high in carbs, moderate to low protein, and low fat made up of veggies, fruits, and fat free meat (chicken, turkey, lean cuts of beef etc), and whole grains. Fat makes up 40-50% of my daily intake

My problem is bread/pasta and processed goods. They are EVERYWHERE.

For example I happen to think homemade mayonnaise is perfectly fine (technically aioli since I use olive oil, not vegetable oil). But it only lasts in fridge 1-2 days because of the raw yolks... makes you wonder how storebought mayo can sit on the shelf. Yeah, not touching that.
lol wow you make your own mayo? if you ever decide to move to nyc, you can live with me rent-free. all you gotta do is cook for me

Last edited by Mike Larry; 05-24-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #17
Nickvjr

My Ride: 2004 330Ci Conv.

As one of the lead trainers for my agency; working out is part of my daily job functions. So basically I get paid to work out and stay in shape!

Winning!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #18
dabears

Quote:
lol wow you make your own mayo? if you ever decide to move to nyc, you can live with me rent-free. all you gotta do is cook for me
haha yeah, but since it doesn't last long and I don't like to waste it, I have to do it by hand with a whisk (too small quantity for food processor). It is like once a month sort of deal if I want a special sauce for fish or something (tarragon or dill aioli nom nom). My arm almost falls off

i would take you up on that, but the gf pays me back in something worth its weight in gold lol
Old 05-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #19
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
I'm sure Mike would not mind blowing you for your yummy meals

Quote:
haha yeah, but since it doesn't last long and I don't like to waste it, I have to do it by hand with a whisk (too small quantity for food processor). It is like once a month sort of deal if I want a special sauce for fish or something (tarragon or dill aioli nom nom). My arm almost falls off

i would take you up on that, but the gf pays me back in something worth its weight in gold lol
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
Silversixspeed

My Ride: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Lifting is just as much a lifestyle for me as my profession and Capoeira. It will ALWAYS remain a priority (..for as long as I am mobile and able), so even if I'm pressed for time, I will still get it in. Friends, girlfriends, etc. will never get in the way of that. That's not to say that I don't compromise by switching days/times/etc., but I will never sacrifice my workouts completely. It's for this reason that I hang with like-minded people. I once dated a girl who wasn't into working out (..she just ran every now and then) and it caused issues.

P.S. Eating is part & parcel to lifting, so I don't separate them.
I dated a girl like that too. They'd be up for going for a walk, or maybe an occasional jog, but wasn't really into getting a gym membership or anything of the sort. Then didn't understand why I needed to go to the gym 3-4 days a week. Lifting, for me, is a stress reliever. It's a self-esteem and confidence booster. Like you, it's a big part of my life, and I'll never give up on it, as long as I'm physically able.

The girl and I didn't break up because of it, necessarily, but it certainly caused issues. I guess don't mix well with lazy people!

Last edited by Silversixspeed; 05-24-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Silversixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote