E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
charliexd

My Ride: E46 M3 AW/Black
Proposed Seat Delete Sale

Decide to make my own seat delete option for my car.
The seat bottom is probably a small weight saving, but the seat back is a big deal.
I think this is ideal for those of us tracking our ///M's or never carrying passengers (less weight in these cars results in a friendlier DD for the wallet
And in the event you have a day where you know there will be passengers, snap them out and put in your seats. To me the best part about this project is that nothing is permanent. I'm able to bag and store my rear seats in the house, and snap in or snap out the seat deletes for whatever I need.

For this I used alcantara that my friend in phx sourced (Mario K. - he's rather famous on e90post)
the 'structure' of the delete was 7/16 plywood and foam for filler with the seat backs using a layer of styrofoam since it needed to be thicker so that it would conform to the side bolsters better.
Stock bench is about 14lb - my delete resulted in 11lbs. while the stock seat back is roughly 37-38 pounds (with the handle releases and such), - the delete resulted in 21lbs.
All in all, about 32lbs of savings and I'm really happy with the results.

standby for talk about how the noise increase is.

If you'ld like more information about how I did this you can message me and I can send you more pics or we can talk more about it or whatever. Just thought it was a pretty cool idea for these rather heavy cars, and had the time to spare a fun project with the wife.

Last edited by charliexd; 05-25-2013 at 10:14 PM.
charliexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3

I've been wanting to do this for a while. In for weight differences.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
charliexd

about 32lb savings! hit me up if you want to talk details
Old 05-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
That looks really nice, how come so tall for the seat backing though??
Old 05-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
charliexd

the backboard fit to the right height, but it seems because of the thick foam it 'lifts' the piece and thus looks like it's just all wrong.
I'll go back and trim it tmr....long day as with most things diy, the first time isn't perfect.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
Moosecakes

ahh I see, well either way it looks great! very cleanly done.
Old 05-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
charliexd

ok, it's complete. managed to get out in the sun for some gopro shots

seat bolsters were the trickiest, but now it's officially done.. and I think I'll get rid of the air freshener because now i have a nice wood scent.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
E46 WOT

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
Well done! However, personally I just take out the rear seats when I go to the track and then put them back in. Even when I leave them out for the street, I like having the extra exhaust noise coming from the rear with the seats out, which is like just leaving the seats down I guess. I guess my point it, what you did looks pretty good! I've just gone ahead and taken out the seats and rear upholstery rather than have something in their place, so to each their own

2004.5 M3 SMG
CF CSL Trunk, CSL replica bumper, 18x9.5 BW Arc-8's w/ 245/265 Hankook R-S3s, PFC 08 pads, SS brake lines, Prospeed 683 Brake fluid, ISC N1 Coilovers, Powerflex poly RTABs and sway bar bushings, Treehouse delrin FCABs,Tint, BSW I-Pod Dock, and 7 BMW CCA HPDS at VIR- A-Group, 2:14.10 VIR Full Course, 1:51's CMP, 1:24.4 Roebling Road, with no motor mods besides BW intake boot and K&N drop in filter
E46 WOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:36 PM   #9
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Nice work OP.

I've thought about making a version for us track junkies that need to transport tires to the track - that has a cut-out to stabilize and secure 4 tires. Something the tires would nest securely into and then strap them down.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #10
Moosecakes

Looks very good! did you give the rear a bit of an arch or is that pics? I like it!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:26 AM   #11
charliexd

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46 WOT View Post
Well done! However, personally I just take out the rear seats when I go to the track and then put them back in. Even when I leave them out for the street, I like having the extra exhaust noise coming from the rear with the seats out, which is like just leaving the seats down I guess. I guess my point it, what you did looks pretty good! I've just gone ahead and taken out the seats and rear upholstery rather than have something in their place, so to each their own
I don't blame you. Had I just stripped the rear altogether it would have been more weight saving. But idk it just looks too abandoned for me right now. So having the time, this seemed pretty fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Nice work OP.

I've thought about making a version for us track junkies that need to transport tires to the track - that has a cut-out to stabilize and secure 4 tires. Something the tires would nest securely into and then strap them down.
THAT could definitely be arranged. Tho the trouble is tire sizes. Assuming you always use the same width, it'd be perfect. I could do one for you just pm me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosecakes View Post
Looks very good! did you give the rear a bit of an arch or is that pics? I like it!
An arch as in around the side bolsters? I did straight edges but folded the foam over, so it contours as if it were rounded
Old 06-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #12
Moosecakes

No the entire center piece looks like it has a nice arch all across it. Could just be the angle of the photo.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:10 AM   #13
charliexd

oh ok no, then I think it's just the gopro fisheye effect you're seeing
Old 06-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
E46 WOT

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Nice work OP.

I was able to put my track set of tires/wheels across the back seats in a way that I just back up both front seats and lean back to press against the tires and they didn't move at all, but I'd thought about something like that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliexd View Post
I don't blame you. Had I just stripped the rear altogether it would have been more weight saving. But idk it just looks too abandoned for me right now. So having the time, this seemed pretty fun.
Yeah I always end up abandoning the factory interior the longer I own a car due to things like tracking it or a stereo install that brakes a clip I never fix etc. It'd definitely a personality thing though, some people can't live with a scratch on their door or incomplete interior, I'm the guy that doesn't care about that as long as it's functioning as intended and the experiance is up to par (not that the first type doesn't like the experiance any less).

2004.5 M3 SMG
CF CSL Trunk, CSL replica bumper, 18x9.5 BW Arc-8's w/ 245/265 Hankook R-S3s, PFC 08 pads, SS brake lines, Prospeed 683 Brake fluid, ISC N1 Coilovers, Powerflex poly RTABs and sway bar bushings, Treehouse delrin FCABs,Tint, BSW I-Pod Dock, and 7 BMW CCA HPDS at VIR- A-Group, 2:14.10 VIR Full Course, 1:51's CMP, 1:24.4 Roebling Road, with no motor mods besides BW intake boot and K&N drop in filter

Last edited by E46 WOT; 06-05-2013 at 11:48 AM.
E46 WOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #15
bimmian
Supporting Vendor

My Ride: 1-866-423-3799
Nice work, I think this is a nice little mod to shave a few pounds off of the m3!
bimmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
charliexd

who wants one?
Old 06-25-2013, 09:17 PM   #17
Moosecakes

I wanna gut the rear of my car and cage it. But I promised my wife I would leave the seats I'm this car haha if I could I'd snag one from ya. Good luck!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #18
charliexd

dude I can take out this delete and put my rear seats in within 10 minutes (5 if someone is helping).
Old 06-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #19
Grinchxvx

My Ride: 2001 M3, 1998 M3

Why not just take out the seats and not replace them with a homemade bench? Am I missing something?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Grinchxvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 AM   #20
charliexd

well it's for more than just the track guys. it's for someone who may not want the extra weight in the back, and still maintain a clean 'oem' look. if you just pull the seats it looks bare, and random wires here and there etc...