E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #21
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Dont think it is your chain tensioner. All it is is a plastic guide pushed agsinst the chain.

Engine swap, HG, tranny swap, GM & ZF tranny rebuilds, shocks, struts, brakes, WPs, Thermostats, belts, tensioners, fuel pumps, radiators, window regs, hoses, PS pump, Spark Plugs, VCGs, coils, fuel filters, CVVs, VANOS seals, rack, LCABs, Exp. Tanks, OFHGs, RCABs, OP, boots, ABS, GUIDOs, starter, A/C, DISA, Diff, SAP

Ultra Premium Grand 10 Star+ Super Duper BMW-pedic Sport Plus +++
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #22
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Its got a bearing bolt. If its worn down? Then as car is running oil gets on it and noose goes away... Idk just ideas. Ill just have to get in there one of these weekends

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
Old 05-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #23
JamaicanBlueE46M3

My Ride: E46 M3
piston slap? I doubt it but just a thought.
JamaicanBlueE46M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #24
Ravij

My Ride: 3.5 IR vert M3
I have the same knock. Only present during cold start up. Noticed it 5k miles ago..
Old 05-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #25
Ravij

My Ride: 3.5 IR vert M3
Maybe rocker arm or worn down cam?
Old 05-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #26
InDiGlOM3

No its not coming from head. Diffently the block. Its 99 percent positive its something to do with oil pump and its components.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #27
InDiGlOM3

Ive personally had this noise for years and about 30k miles.

Its not bearings as motor and crank would be toast by now. Its not vanos because its all been rebuilt. Not cam or rocker. Those would cause driving problems and wouldn't go away. Its not piston slap because that wouldnt go away after warm. My oil pressure has never been a problem and i don't see a pump noise going away after warm either. Its not water pump ac or steering gear timing vales or anything
In the head. Stethoscope points directly to oil pump/chain area.

Unlike the timing chain the oil pump chain is single, I've seen single timing change stretch before on other cars. And they tighten up when they get hot enough to make any noise they made go away. Oil is not fed to the oil pump chain tension bearing bolt. Its get it from gravity from oil in head falling down. Timing chain area. If my car is all the way hot and I turn it off for thirty minutes and start it, the noise is there again for a few minutes even thou its already operating temp. So whatever oil is on tension bearing bolt has run off I'm thinking. Of course is worse when car is all the way cold.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #28
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
mysterious knocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Ive personally had this noise for years and about 30k miles.

Its not bearings as motor and crank would be toast by now. Its not vanos because its all been rebuilt. Not cam or rocker. Those would cause driving problems and wouldn't go away. Its not piston slap because that wouldnt go away after warm. My oil pressure has never been a problem and i don't see a pump noise going away after warm either. Its not water pump ac or steering gear timing vales or anything
In the head. Stethoscope points directly to oil pump/chain area.

Unlike the timing chain the oil pump chain is single, I've seen single timing change stretch before on other cars. And they tighten up when they get hot enough to make any noise they made go away. Oil is not fed to the oil pump chain tension bearing bolt. Its get it from gravity from oil in head falling down. Timing chain area. If my car is all the way hot and I turn it off for thirty minutes and start it, the noise is there again for a few minutes even thou its already operating temp. So whatever oil is on tension bearing bolt has run off I'm thinking. Of course is worse when car is all the way cold.

Just an idea and long shot... Idle control valve "rocking back and forth??? I think that would effect ur idle rpm so if that's ok now it's probably something else... Maybe belt tensioner ???.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by being3; 06-11-2013 at 12:41 PM.
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #29
bimer21

My Ride: stick 325i
mysterious knocking

I take my ride today to my dads shop and in my case it looks like lifter are the one with problem, i order then already to see if i fix it! Also went to dealer and they said lifter on our car is a common failing part and could make a noise at start in different areas and make you think is something else.
If you have misfiring code at start, you should give a look to this too. Good luck

bimer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #30
InDiGlOM3

I'll check them for the hell of it but my idle is perfect now and i dont misfire etc. Hard to fool me with a stethoscope for where noise is coming from, its what I do everyday when dynoing engines

Old 06-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #31
bimer21

My Ride: stick 325i
mysterious knocking

Yes i did have to take it because mines did it before every time i start it i got that noise with misfiring and after 10sec i goes away, and one day i put seafoam in my engine and i did went away for around 3 weeks, so i though my problem was done but it came back around 2 weeks already and i did take it to see what was it, and we discover this, once at dealer told me could be my oil pump, but it wasn't, its my lifter that are not keeping the oil

bimer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #32
Minnoe07

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
mysterious knocking

From what I have been told, the noise may be the lifters upon cold start and considered normal operating conditions. Especially with the hydraulic lifters on the m5x engines. The lifters take a short time to prime and make noise until fully primed. Once the engine is stopped, they start losing the prime and will make noise upon startup until primed again.

The only solution is to replace lifters and even then it may not fix the noise.

2004 330Ci 6 Speed; UUC Sway Bars; Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's; KW V2 Coilovers; 3.38 OS Giken LSD
Z4 Finned Diff Cover; Headers; M-Tech II Rear Bumper and CF Diffusor; CF Trunk; CSL Front Bumper
M3 CF Hood; DICE I-Pod Kit; JTD Rear Shock Mounts; UUC Front Strut Bar; O2 Simulators
ESS TS2 Twin Screw Supercharger

Minnoe07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #33
InDiGlOM3

Re: mysterious knocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnoe07 View Post
From what I have been told, the noise may be the lifters upon cold start and considered normal operating conditions. Especially with the hydraulic lifters on the m5x engines. The lifters take a short time to prime and make noise until fully primed. Once the engine is stopped, they start losing the prime and will make noise upon startup until primed again.

The only solution is to replace lifters and even then it may not fix the noise.

Yeah its completly different for the s54. No hydro lifters

Sent from my EVO using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #34
InDiGlOM3

Car is up and pan coming off after work, wonder what ill find.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #35
STORMER

My Ride: AA SC 98 M3
mysterious knocking

Keep us posted

360+rwhp

AA Stage 2, Arp2000, Underdrive Pulley, M50 Manifold, Cat Delete, Supersprint Exhaust, M5 Clutch w/ Lightweight Flywheel, Euro Fan, FK Coilovers, AEM Boost Gauge, Zhp Knob, Stoptech Brakes, R1 Rotors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetness View Post
You sir, just thread jacked the sh!t out of OP.
STORMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #36
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
rocker arm is all that I can think of, I've had this problem with other vehicles. when cold it you will get a slight knock. but when they get warmed up they start working properly and knock goes away.

I see you already dismissed that because of the stethoscope, good luck finding the problem and please post the solution when you find it.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #37
InDiGlOM3

Well I found the problem. as I though. chain is really loose. tensioner is crap, so when its cold is when its the most loose and no oil on it really and its hitting one of the hard lines to the pump, pretty good gouge growing on it. Ill take pictures soon and a little video to show how bad it is. What's BS I had this problem before my motor got built. I forgot to mention it and they put it back together like this, something easily noticed. or should of been.

I also found a broken oil sprayer in my pan. I have not looked to see if one is missing. might of been from when my motor first went boom.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1371260579450.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	511149  
Old 06-14-2013, 11:50 PM   #38
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
Send a message via Skype™ to being3
mysterious knocking

Quote:
Well I found the problem. as I though. chain is really loose. tensioner is crap, so when its cold is when its the most loose and no oil on it really and its hitting one of the hard lines to the pump, pretty good gouge growing on it. Ill take pictures soon and a little video to show how bad it is. What's BS I had this problem before my motor got built. I forgot to mention it and they put it back together like this, something easily noticed. or should of been.

I also found a broken oil sprayer in my pan. I have not looked to see if one is missing. might of been from when my motor first went boom.

So was this the timing chain and guide? If so how many miles on chain?

Old 06-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #39
InDiGlOM3

No just oil pump chain. its a small single chain that's just for the oil pump

Old 06-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #40
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:

Ah this was a problem with the earlier version of built engines...iirc piston design and oil squirters were revised a long time ago. As for the chain...normal wear you figure? I know they put a new chain in with my built engine.

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 06-15-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Commanderwiggin is online now   Reply With Quote