E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
2002topasblueM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
E46 m3 coilover comparison

Ok so I'm nearing the end of my coilover search and before I just go ahead and buy a set, I'd like some final input. I'm begging all of you to chime in and give me some feedback on your setups and what you think and what you've heard and all that good stuff. I believe I'm going with a used set of h&r clubsport rss coilovers because a guy on here is selling them at a good price.

My question is this: how do the h&r rss coilovers stack up against the kw v3s, bilsteins, bc racing brs, koni/st, tck... Do they all handle somewhat similarly? Are the h&r coilovers more of back breakers than others? Are they reliable (I live in Maryland and the roads here are, for the most part, in pretty good shape). I can deal with a rough ride, that doesn't really bother me. I just want a good set of coilovers for a fair price, that can hold up during daily driving, and also perform well on the track.

Please guys, give me some input. All of your opinions will help and I'm sorry if any of this has been covered, but I've searched all over for thorough reviews/comparisons and have yet to come across anything that will help me decide.
2002topasblueM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
Whats your budget? That is going to play the biggest part in it. I've ridden in a car with the H&R's and bilsteins <-- hated. but that's about it, I've read nothing but great reviews about bc racing br's. Adjustable shocks, custom spring rates, camber plates and for a grand. Personally that's the best value to me. If you've got the money go big and get TCK's and some swift springs or moton/jrz if you're feelin bossy haha.

I'm personally going to get bc racings with 10k/12k rates. I'm gonna make my M useable and not slam the **** out of it like my old 330ci lol. That's my .02. Good luck man
Old 05-26-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
2002topasblueM3

I'm trying to stay at or around $1000. I've got a good deal lined up now for h&r clubsports for $900 and I'm about to just go with it. I just want some last minute opinions first. What'd you think of the h&r and bilsteins? Was it the bilstein struts with the h&r springs or are you talking about an h&r setup and a bilstein setup? If so, which one did you like better as far as handling?

Last edited by 2002topasblueM3; 05-26-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
I hated the billsteins, i think pss9's and the H&R's we're decent. I like being able to customize rates personally, But the H&R's are still a great option especially if you can get them for a good deal.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #5
2002topasblueM3

I won't mind not being able to adjust the spring rates. The h&r spring rate is really high but I appreciate stiff springs just because I like the sporty feel. Just as long as its not so rough to the point where bolts start coming loose and the struts rattle and clank lol thank you for the input sir
Old 05-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Prdquik

My Ride: 04 M3 Coupe
Go with the BC Racing. Under a grand and great quality.
Prdquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
2002topasblueM3

I may have to go with bc racing. I've heard good things about them and the guy from the forum that I was going to buy the h&r clubsports from just fell off the face of the earth. It's funny how when you ask for pictures of what someone is selling they stop talking to you. Anyway, thanks for the advice guys, I'll let you know what I end up getting and will post pics/review when I do the install
Old 06-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #8
2002topasblueM3

Going with the status gruppe coilovers. They'll be here on Thursday and I'll post a review when I install them
Old 06-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
joeysm3

My Ride: ///M3 04 SMG
you shoudve looked into ST coilovers too they are not bad. too late now.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
04yfz

My Ride: A car
Re: E46 m3 coilover comparison

Great choice I was going to recommend status gruppe. Had mine for a year and love them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysm3 View Post
Status gruppe is a much better choice. More adjustability and higher quality components.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
2002topasblueM3

Quote:
ST is good. Status gruppe, however, is more track friendly and are far better quality for the money. They are also better in longevity and reliability. ST is basically KW and from what I've heard, the struts don't hold up all that well. But that's just my opinion based off of things I've heard/read; I've never used them so I can't say for sure. But I've yet to hear a single bad thing about status gruppe and that goes a long way in my book.

Another thing, I highly recommend anything from status gruppe just because of their customer service. They are great people to deal with and they definitely go the extra mile to make sure you're pleased with their business
Old 06-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
ANREC330

My Ride: C6 Vette & M3

I have ground control and I love them. Status gruppe coilovers are pretty
good too.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
ANREC330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
joeysm3

My Ride: ///M3 04 SMG

Yea and st has 5 year warranty which isn't bad either

Sent from my SGH-T999 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible

I have KW V2 i wouldn't trade for anything else

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
braaang

My Ride: E46 M3
id go tckline da's.

that's on the to do list. more adjustable and customisable than kw, smoother ride than gc's and better quality than SG.
^^^ from my research only.
braaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #16
Jimmy_46

My Ride: bmw e46 m3

I have bilstein pss10 coilovers and I highly recommend them

Old 06-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #17
04yfz

My Ride: A car

Quote:
Yea and st has 5 year warranty which isn't bad either

Sent from my SGH-T999 using BimmerApp mobile app
Status gruppe is lifetime.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
2002topasblueM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04yfz View Post
Status gruppe is lifetime.

That's why I immediately turned away from bc racing and st. The fact that they don't carry a lifetime warranty tells you right there that they aren't built to last in my opinion
Old 06-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
ScuffleDog

My Ride: M3
I absolutely love my Megan Racing CO, they are perfect for a DD m3 in my opinion. It's a very comfortable/smooth ride near the softest settings and handles great enough for me with the stiffer settings on the track and crazy mountain roads we have near SLC. Granted, if it was a 100% track car I would have gone with something that has higher spring rate but these do the job well enough. I got mine $880 shipped from TunerSports - killer deal!!! Oh and the quality is actually pretty dang good too. 32 adjustable, pillow top, camber plates, shorter end links to correct suspension geometry and the 460 lbs spring rate is perfect for DD with some track use/spirited driving! I installed them myself and it was very straight forward/easy. The only thing that confused me at first was the rear spring mounts so I just used the supplied base on the top of the spring and took the rubber mount that was on the top and placed it at the bottom of the spring and everything fits perfect+no noises.
ScuffleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #20
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Let us know how the Status Gruppe coilovers work out!
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote