E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #21
2002topasblueM3

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
Let us know how the Status Gruppe coilovers work out!
Will do! Got the fronts on yesterday and plan on doing the rears and doing a front end alignment middle of this week when I get the time. The fronts feel great so far, it handles like a dream compared to oem and that's just with the fronts installed. I can't wait to see how it feels with the rears in too
2002topasblueM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #22
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Nice! Once you get the rears mounted...I'd like to hear about your impressions after putting some miles on them
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #23
kokom3

My Ride: BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002topasblueM3 View Post
Ok so I'm nearing the end of my coilover search and before I just go ahead and buy a set, I'd like some final input. I'm begging all of you to chime in and give me some feedback on your setups and what you think and what you've heard and all that good stuff. I believe I'm going with a used set of h&r clubsport rss coilovers because a guy on here is selling them at a good price.

My question is this: how do the h&r rss coilovers stack up against the kw v3s, bilsteins, bc racing brs, koni/st, tck... Do they all handle somewhat similarly? Are the h&r coilovers more of back breakers than others? Are they reliable (I live in Maryland and the roads here are, for the most part, in pretty good shape). I can deal with a rough ride, that doesn't really bother me. I just want a good set of coilovers for a fair price, that can hold up during daily driving, and also perform well on the track.

Please guys, give me some input. All of your opinions will help and I'm sorry if any of this has been covered, but I've searched all over for thorough reviews/comparisons and have yet to come across anything that will help me decide.
Your best choice for the street is going with a set of coilovers that have progressive springs. KW V2 and Bilstein PSS10s are your best choices for a coilover kit with progressive springs that will have the best ride on the streets - very OEM like. The progressive springs on these kits will have a more comfortable ride for the streets.

If you want a more track oriented setup, then you should look more into getting a coilover setup with linear springs and camber plates. Your best choices are grounds control (best value for money for linear coilover) or TCKline (a little pricer). These would ride as well on the road and will be more stiff since they have linear springs which have a set spring rate.

Good Luck!
kokom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #24
SupreM3

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Will do! Got the fronts on yesterday and plan on doing the rears and doing a front end alignment middle of this week when I get the time. The fronts feel great so far, it handles like a dream compared to oem and that's just with the fronts installed. I can't wait to see how it feels with the rears in too
What spring rates did you get for your setup? Just wondering about ride quality for street use but stiff enough for light track use.
SupreM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #25
2002topasblueM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupreM3 View Post
What spring rates did you get for your setup? Just wondering about ride quality for street use but stiff enough for light track use.
448 lbs front, 505 lbs rear. I'm hopefully installing the rears today and I'll align my front end and dial in the camber, height and stiffness for the best ride I can get. I'll make sure to give all the details when I'm finished
Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #26
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
In for updates on spring rates! curious how those work out, I'm still trying to decided mine... leaning towards 500f 650r's. Sounds like that's a pretty good track/street compromise rate. Personally idgaf if it rides a little stiff on the road, I live downtown and roads suck stock or modified lol. I just want to keep it somewhat comfortable for passengers.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #27
TopazID

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
Mike from Status Gruppe is chill I met him at the B&G meet here in San Diego a few months back. They sell some quality products and looking forward to hearing your feedback on this!

Ian
Old 07-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #28
2002topasblueM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosecakes View Post
In for updates on spring rates! curious how those work out, I'm still trying to decided mine... leaning towards 500f 650r's. Sounds like that's a pretty good track/street compromise rate. Personally idgaf if it rides a little stiff on the road, I live downtown and roads suck stock or modified lol. I just want to keep it somewhat comfortable for passengers.
I hold high standards for the way my car handles more so than comfortability. At the same time, I can't have a car that rattles and wobbles endlessly over a speed bump or pothole that's why I went with the 448f and 505r spring rate option. I would've went a little stiffer if I could have but they didn't have a more desirable option and I'm glad they didn't because the fronts are perfect for me. I'm definitely pleased with the 448f and I'm sure I'll be able to say the same about the rears when I finally get to install them.

The only precaution I will give you is regarding potholes. I blew my front strut and bent a rim on a pothole in the road and they are definitely detrimental to a car's soft spots. Granted, my suspension was almost 140k miles old as far as I know and was ready to be replaced anyway, which is another reason I didn't cheap out and get lowering springs or a low budget coilover system.

For the money, status gruppe is a great option because of the high end quality and range of adjustability with both stiffness and height. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a fairly priced system, accompanied by great customer service, installation simplicity, and a lifetime warranty. Shout out to mike at status gruppe for being an awesome guy; couldn't ask for a better example of what customer service should be like.

Sorry I have yet to post a review, still waiting to install the rears due to lack of an opening in my schedule. But it will be posted soon and updated as the mileage gets tacked on. There aren't many reviews that I've seen on the product and hopefully people that are in the position that I was recently in (desperate need of help in finding proper, informative reviews on coilover options) will be able to make an easier coilover decision after reading my soon-to-be-posted review.

Last edited by 2002topasblueM3; 07-03-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #29
PerkM3
Account Under Review

My Ride: 2004 SG M3 ESS-550
Read this......................../thread

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=180345
PerkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #30
2002topasblueM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
Read this......................../thread

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=180345
I read it a month ago. I was actually about to get ast's prior to deciding on the status gruppe but ended up not doing it because of the price tag. It was a useful thread that really opened my eyes to my options and is a great reference for anyone in the market for coilovers. However, it didn't mention status gruppe so I feel like I should at least offer a review of their coilovers for others looking into suspension modification.

In my review I'll be sure to post the link to that thread so they can be able to make a good decision by reading both my review, and the coilover comparison thread.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #31
PerkM3
Account Under Review

My Ride: 2004 SG M3 ESS-550
Quote:
I read it a month ago. I was actually about to get ast's prior to deciding on the status gruppe but ended up not doing it because of the price tag. It was a useful thread that really opened my eyes to my options and is a great reference for anyone in the market for coilovers. However, it didn't mention status gruppe so I feel like I should at least offer a review of their coilovers for others looking into suspension modification.

In my review I'll be sure to post the link to that thread so they can be able to make a good decision by reading both my review, and the coilover comparison thread.
I think that's where M3forum may be a little bit narrow minded. I don't think they consider Status Gruppe, BC Racing, Stance, etc. to be worth the price of free.

I can't really disagree though, but then when it comes to a coil I'm looking for build quality, customer support, adjustability, etc..............thus I have Motons. I just think when you are paying sub 1,500 bucks for a coilover system you are giving up so much in terms of those things. You aren't gonna get build quality for that price you're gonna get china, you aren't gonna get ride quality you're gonna get semi truck. When it comes to coils it never is more true than you get what you pay for.
PerkM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #32
2002topasblueM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerkM3 View Post
I think that's where M3forum may be a little bit narrow minded. I don't think they consider Status Gruppe, BC Racing, Stance, etc. to be worth the price of free.

I can't really disagree though, but then when it comes to a coil I'm looking for build quality, customer support, adjustability, etc..............thus I have Motons. I just think when you are paying sub 1,500 bucks for a coilover system you are giving up so much in terms of those things. You aren't gonna get build quality for that price you're gonna get china, you aren't gonna get ride quality you're gonna get semi truck. When it comes to coils it never is more true than you get what you pay for.
I see where you're coming from and I totally agree that quality and price go hand in hand, especially when dealing with suspension, and with anything else for an m3 for that matter. However, I also believe that there is a fine line between high end, high priced products and quality products with a consumer friendly price tag. And I can honestly say that status gruppe fills that gap and offers you a pretty high quality coilover system that has all the components you're looking for when buying coilovers; dampening/height adjustability, street and track friendly spring rates, camber plates, and great customer service, all for a reasonable price.

Don't get me wrong, if I had the money I wouldn't even hesitate on getting motons or a setup of similar quality. But when you have limited spending abilities and don't really need a completely track oriented setup, $1500 is a reasonable amount to spend. Ground control, tck and ast are all under 2 grand if you get the options similar to that of the status gruppe, I just found the status gruppe coilvers to be the most appealing to me. And hopefully, when I finally finish installing them and put some miles on them, and perhaps even a track day if I can find the time soon enough, I will see for myself if I made a good decision, and be able to explain to others why I made the decision I did, if I'm happy with it, and if I feel like its a worthy setup for people like me; performance enthusiasts with a mediocre budget.

I plan on installing the rears in a few minutes so hopefully it all goes well and I'll be able to post my review soon. I just wish I had more experience with other coilovers such as gc, tck, ast etc so I could compare them with status gruppe for a more legitimate review.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #33
2002topasblueM3

I installed the rears about 3 hours ago. Took it for a spin shortly after and it felt amazing. Will post a detailed review by Saturday I hope. If I can't post it by Saturday it will have to wait until next week
Old 11-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #34
tehno0b

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG LSB
Hi All,

Recently, I bought these coilovers from Status Gruppe with the following options:

Coilover setup
Camber plate
Swift spring
Camber set to 0
Rear spring adjuster set to 1 1/2 inch (per Mike's suggestion and it works like a charm)
#3 Spring setting 7kg/9kg

my wheels setup are:

Front - 19x9.5 wheels
Tires - Falken 452 245/40ZR19

Rear - 19x10.5 wheels
Tires - Falken 452 275/35ZR19

I mainly use this car as a daily driver (56 miles a day) east bay to inner san francisco
and I carpool with 2 women weighing 112lbs and 107lbs
and both sit on the right side of the car so no going crazy on ride height.

We finished the setup with 1 1/2 inch clearance on rear and 1inch in front.
shock stiffness is set to 16 clicks from soft on all corner, camber setting is set to 0 and tell you boi this **** is amaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaazzzzzziiiiiiiiiing g!!!!!!!

me and my mechanic and a co-mechanic test drove it to see if it will rub and it didn't at all and my fenders aren't rolled either.

Passengers:

Driver (Me): 173lbs
Right passenger: 168lbs
Rear left passenger: 166lbs
Rear right passenger: 178lbs

with all that weight inside, the car, it only went down less than an inch.
drove it around as fast at 65mph (aggressively) and no rubbing issue at all
noted, my fenders aren't rolled in yet.
As for bump test.. .. I am not really sure what wizardry Mike worked on these as each bump we pass through around 15 - 25mph of speed. each bump just seemed to be flat.. driving through those bumps, sagged and cracked pavements seemed to be more comfortable than my mom's SUV (nissan murano).

As for the parts itself even though I have not experienced other known brands such as KW, TCKline, Koni, Beilstienne, Ground control and some other high end stuff not for peasants and with no knowledge about this stuff.
Per my mechanic's and other co-mechanics that are experts on tuning specially on dedicated track and drift cars. they are totally amazed and wowed by what these products from Status Gruppe (Mike Migs and team) can do. they are more worth, more properly engineered, more logically designed (double bearing that holds the pillow ball) for the price range as compared to what have they worked on (mentioned above).
not to mention, my mechanic actually tore appart their wheels on a dedicated 2 drift car and 1 track cars and 1 part time track car using KW, Koni v3, Beillstein PSS10, and Beillstein PSS9 just to actually show how each function of SGT coils excels on each corner compared to the one they have and worked on.

another thing that needs to be highlighted about this product Status Gruppe BMW e46 m3 SRS Coilover kit
is that you don't have to re-use old parts such as shock mounts as they come in standard and a lot more solid and well planted once installed (thanks to Mike Migs for using his own car as a guinea pig) however, I'd still recommend buying the following parts:

E36, E46 Rear Shock Tower Mount Reinforcement Kit
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-34...ement-kit.aspx

Rear Spring Pad - 5mm - E30 E36 E46 X3 Z3 Z4 (TOP)
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-53...-x3-z3-z4.aspx

Rear Lower Spring Pad - E46 E83 X3 E85 Z4
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-30...x3-e85-z4.aspx

Rear Trailing Arm Bushings (RTAB) - OEM Rubber - E36, E46, Z4 (Pair)
*NOTE* I decided to use these ones instead of the harder other version as it will help cushion and dampen shock a bit more since coilover setup is already harsh (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I chose it this way)
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-36...6-z4-pair.aspx

there's also this one that I didn't manage to buy but I'd recommend it
Rogue Engineering E46 Rear Spring Perch Reinforcement
http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogu.../RSP_REIN.html

Below is a link that shows comparison of the product over the stock and how it looks like once it's installed.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/108512258@N08/

I hope this helps even just a bit.. please do let me know if you wish to see specific spots and details of the setup and I'll take pictures.

I will take the car back to the shop tomorrow for alignment check and will take some pictures to share.

Thanks Mike!
tehno0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #35
bartman22

My Ride: 2001 LSB M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehno0b View Post
Hi All,

Recently, I bought these coilovers from Status Gruppe with the following options:

Coilover setup
Camber plate
Swift spring
Camber set to 0
Rear spring adjuster set to 1 1/2 inch (per Mike's suggestion and it works like a charm)
#3 Spring setting 7kg/9kg

my wheels setup are:

Front - 19x9.5 wheels
Tires - Falken 452 245/40ZR19

Rear - 19x10.5 wheels
Tires - Falken 452 275/35ZR19

I mainly use this car as a daily driver (56 miles a day) east bay to inner san francisco
and I carpool with 2 women weighing 112lbs and 107lbs
and both sit on the right side of the car so no going crazy on ride height.

We finished the setup with 1 1/2 inch clearance on rear and 1inch in front.
shock stiffness is set to 16 clicks from soft on all corner, camber setting is set to 0 and tell you boi this **** is amaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaazzzzzziiiiiiiiiing g!!!!!!!

me and my mechanic and a co-mechanic test drove it to see if it will rub and it didn't at all and my fenders aren't rolled either.

Passengers:

Driver (Me): 173lbs
Right passenger: 168lbs
Rear left passenger: 166lbs
Rear right passenger: 178lbs

with all that weight inside, the car, it only went down less than an inch.
drove it around as fast at 65mph (aggressively) and no rubbing issue at all
noted, my fenders aren't rolled in yet.
As for bump test.. .. I am not really sure what wizardry Mike worked on these as each bump we pass through around 15 - 25mph of speed. each bump just seemed to be flat.. driving through those bumps, sagged and cracked pavements seemed to be more comfortable than my mom's SUV (nissan murano).

As for the parts itself even though I have not experienced other known brands such as KW, TCKline, Koni, Beilstienne, Ground control and some other high end stuff not for peasants and with no knowledge about this stuff.
Per my mechanic's and other co-mechanics that are experts on tuning specially on dedicated track and drift cars. they are totally amazed and wowed by what these products from Status Gruppe (Mike Migs and team) can do. they are more worth, more properly engineered, more logically designed (double bearing that holds the pillow ball) for the price range as compared to what have they worked on (mentioned above).
not to mention, my mechanic actually tore appart their wheels on a dedicated 2 drift car and 1 track cars and 1 part time track car using KW, Koni v3, Beillstein PSS10, and Beillstein PSS9 just to actually show how each function of SGT coils excels on each corner compared to the one they have and worked on.

another thing that needs to be highlighted about this product Status Gruppe BMW e46 m3 SRS Coilover kit
is that you don't have to re-use old parts such as shock mounts as they come in standard and a lot more solid and well planted once installed (thanks to Mike Migs for using his own car as a guinea pig) however, I'd still recommend buying the following parts:

E36, E46 Rear Shock Tower Mount Reinforcement Kit
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-34...ement-kit.aspx

Rear Spring Pad - 5mm - E30 E36 E46 X3 Z3 Z4 (TOP)
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-53...-x3-z3-z4.aspx

Rear Lower Spring Pad - E46 E83 X3 E85 Z4
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-30...x3-e85-z4.aspx

Rear Trailing Arm Bushings (RTAB) - OEM Rubber - E36, E46, Z4 (Pair)
*NOTE* I decided to use these ones instead of the harder other version as it will help cushion and dampen shock a bit more since coilover setup is already harsh (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I chose it this way)
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-36...6-z4-pair.aspx

there's also this one that I didn't manage to buy but I'd recommend it
Rogue Engineering E46 Rear Spring Perch Reinforcement
http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogu.../RSP_REIN.html

Below is a link that shows comparison of the product over the stock and how it looks like once it's installed.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/108512258@N08/

I hope this helps even just a bit.. please do let me know if you wish to see specific spots and details of the setup and I'll take pictures.

I will take the car back to the shop tomorrow for alignment check and will take some pictures to share.

Thanks Mike!
Thanks for the rundown of the install. I have been looking to ditch my current Koni yellow/HR spring combo and install some SG coil overs. Is there any noise from the camber plates (either turning or hitting bumps)?
Old 11-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #36
tehno0b

My Ride: 2004 M3 SMG LSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman22 View Post
Thanks for the rundown of the install. I have been looking to ditch my current Koni yellow/HR spring combo and install some SG coil overs. Is there any noise from the camber plates (either turning or hitting bumps)?
None at all, just make sure they're all properly torqued down, I have done close to 500miles of travel now and no squeeks or rattle even on turn both aggressive and smooth.. and even better on bumps..

what I actually did at the end:

1.) torqued down all bolts.
2.) test drove it 100+ miles (vallejo to bodega bay with tons of turns and loops)
3.) went back to shop and re-checked if bolts are all in properly tightened via torque wrench.
4.) next day drove it again from vallejo to bodega to monteray.
5.) went back to shop and re-checked.. everything still stays solid..
tehno0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:34 PM   #37
headlock

My Ride: E46 M3
I was looking into this recently. If i was in the US, i'd go with a ground control or TCKline. You can have a good set of those for like 2k. I think it was the GC's that worked out a little cheaper. They seem like a really good option that wont break the bank.

However i'm in Australia and i have to add shipping and duties onto that and it just didn't work out well.

same thing with KW's and so forth.

I can get BC's cheap but where i can find informed reviews on them (ie. shock dyno plots etc) they dont look like the best option.

I considered Bilstein PSS10's. They seem a little undersprung for my liking, but would probably be ok on a road car. They can be had pretty cheap too, so it was gonna be around the 2k mark to get them landed down under. A bit of feedback on them saying that they weren't so great though.

In the end i went with Fortune Auto 500's, with radial bearings and swift springs. My reasons why are as follows:
- Local supplier for Aus / NZ
- Well known / good rep in the import community (which means nothing i guess - but they do have some successful TA cars running their gear)
- Dyno plots are readily available, lots of data out there - all supplied by FA. Any company that is willing to be so open with their results gets a tick from me
- Every set is assembled from scratch in the US. Most of the cheaper coilies are shipped straight out of the factory. FA buys the components and then puts them together, dynos them to make sure they are all good, then sends them to you with the graphs. I like that.
- Good customer service. There was a thread on EvoM where someone was complaining about his FA's. One of the guys from FA got on, discussed the issues, and then gave him a whole new set of coils that better suited his needs - straight swap. That's pretty awesome. Someone in that same thread was calling BS on the dyno graphs, so one of the engineers got on to discuss the technical issues that the poster had raised, then posted youtube videos of the shocks being dyno'd in real time and uncorrected plots as requested. All the plots look good. Like i said - open is a win.

I have no affiliation with them, just letting you know my reasons why i went that way. Another option to consider in the sub 2k bracket For all i know they will be ****, but i have read nothing but positive things so we'll see. should have them in a week or two - i'll let you know once they are on the car.

Last edited by headlock; 11-17-2013 at 11:45 PM.
headlock is offline   Reply With Quote