E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
Vader

My Ride: E46 Touring, E36 328
| Vader's E46 Touring |

Welcome to the thread for my E46 Touring! This thread will document the history of the car in my possession, and any modifications or changes I make to it, and course maintenance.

Year: 2003
Model: 325xi
Production Date: September, 18th, 2002
Assembled: Regensburg
Exterior: Orientblau Metallic
Interior: Hellbeige 2
Date of Purchase: March 25th, 2015
Mileage at Purchase: 184,732 km

History

I currently own an E36 328i, which for several years was my year round daily driver, but as of the last few years has been my summer only car. I have been wanting to replace my current winter beater, a GMC Jimmy currently featuring 364,000 highway km's for some time now. I knew that I wanted to get back into a BMW full time, but I wasn't sure if I wanted an X5 or something else. I did know If I was going to get an X5 it was going to be the 3.0i model because I can't afford to fix the V8's. I have a fairly long commute to work (44km's each way) but thankfully its 95% highway. With Canadian winters here in AB being as bad as they are, I knew I also wanted something with AWD if possible.

I have a fascination with rare and unique vehicles, so I started looking at Touring's, as a friend of mine has an E39 Touring in Alpinewiess. North America doesn't truly appreciate the practicality of a Touring so not many of them were sent here when new (only 22,200 E46's). With that in mind, I began casually searching the local classifieds and Auto Trader just to see what was out there. I soon learned that near the end of March, there was only 6, E46 Touring's for sale anywhere in Western Canada. Even more surprisingly, only one during this time was a manual.

Then, one day while browsing Auto Trader at work I found it. There, in the ad I found my new car. I just had to have it, but I then needed to figure out how to convince my wife it was a good idea! Located in Victoria, British Columbia was a beautiful 2003 325xi Touring in Orientblau Metallic. The listing showed that the car only had 184,000km on it and provided the car proof as well. Car Proof showed the car was first registered near the end of 2002 in Toronto Ont, and came to Victoria BC in July of 2007. It showed a single glass claim which based on the cost, I assume was for the front windshield.

I called the dealership in Victoria, to enquire about the car. I then learned that the second owners bought it 59,000km on it, and traded it in on an SUV. They also advised me the car came with numerous service records, going all the way back to 60,000km! Somehow I got approval to purchase this car and bring it home!

Here are the pictures from the original ad. Sorry for the poor picture quality. They were saved on my phone so they didn't take too kindly to being enlarged.

This is where the journey begins. At 6:45 am on the 25th of March my flight departed from Edmonton Internation Airport bound for Victoria, BC!

Descending into Victoria, this was taken at 8,000ft:

Thankfully it cleared up as we descended further. This was at 1,500ft:

This was my very first time to Victoria, and my first trip this far west! It was a bit of a unique experience for sure. Mostly because I really dislike flying, a lot. I had actually planned to take the VIA rail from Edmonton to Vancouver, but it wasn't available on the date I needed. Oh well...

Upon leaving the airport I was greeted by the car and an employee from the dealership. Here is the first pictures I ever took of the car!

At the dealership, I was informed that the winter wheels and tires that were photographed ON the car, and stated in the ad, were no longer available. Apparently they were "curbed to heavily" and the "tires were shot". I was not impressed with this as the pictures which I had saved showed the winter wheels and they looked fine. I did not see any damage to the wheels in any of the pictures. I have a feeling they ended up on the local classifieds shortly after I left. Although I didn't feel it was sufficient, they knocked off $250 off the agreed price. I really wanted this car so I wasn't going to push the issue too hard. I signed the paperwork, handed them the money, and took possession of my new Touring!

It became mine with 184,732 km on the odometer. Now the fun part of driving it home began! Our drive home would take us a total of 1,200 km across all of British Columbia and through Alberta. The first task was to get back onto the mainland from Vancouver Island. Off to the Ferry!

E36 328i - Canyonrot Metallic | OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | M3 Contours | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
E46 325xi Touring - Orientblau Metallic

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club #343!

Canadian Alpina Forum

Last edited by Vader; 04-20-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:36 PM   #2
Vader

The journey on the Ferry was pretty cool. The car made it safe and sound. We unloaded and headed east. Our first fuel up occurred in Hope, BC. Obligatory first fuel up picture!

We then continued our journey up Highway 5 towards Kamloops which would be our overnight stop. The Coqiuhalla was a fantastic drive, as I had learned they removed the toll booths! Everything was super green which was awesome compared to everything still being brown and snowy. Here is what the drive was like for a little while:

From the moment we left the Ferry, till 369km into our trip it was raining. Thankfully once we got further into BC it stopped and it became pretty nice out.

Eventually we made our way to Kamloops where we spent the night. Kamloops was also really foggy at the time, but it made for some cool pictures:

We also found Tesla Electric Vehicle chargers. I've never seen these before so that was kind of cool.

Later in the day we stopped in Valemount, BC for lunch. Valemount is a really cool little mountainish town and it was eerily quiet during the day.

Late in the day we made our way back into Alberta! And, with no speeding tickets or rock chips! I was actually pretty impressed.

I like Trains....

We had covered 999.9 km in our trip home, but we weren't home yet!

In the end, we covered 1,195.3 km from Victoria, BC to my driveway in Alberta.

E36 328i - Canyonrot Metallic | OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | M3 Contours | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |

Canadian Alpina Forum

Last edited by Vader; 04-19-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
Vader

After getting it home I sorted through all the reciepts that came with the car to see what work had been done. Below is everything I had a receipt for.

|29-Aug-07 | 60,180 km | Victoria BMW |
Power Brake Unit Replaced -
Replaced Torn Left Outer CV Boot
Fan Clutch Replaced

|20-Jun-08 | 72,123 km | Island Motorsport, Victoria BC |
Oil Change - Mobil 5w-30

| 8-Aug-08 | 74,825 km | Victoria BMW |
Replace Thermostat - Stuck Open
Hazzard/Lock Unit Replaced
Diagnose: Creaking Noise in Rear
Lubed Window Track Seal - RF

| 9-Sep-08 | 75,193 km | Victoria BMW |
Replace L-Headlight Nozzle Cover

| 5-Jan-09 | 83,123 km | Island Motorsport, Victoria BC |
Oil Change - Mobil 5w-30 / Micro Filter

| 4-Jun-09 | 90,587 km | | Island Motorsport |
Axle Shaft Boot x 2
Fuel Filter / Multi Rib Belt
Valve Cover Gasket Kit / Washers x16
NKG Spark Plug V8 x6

| 15-Dec-09 | 101,230 km | Island Motorsport |
Front Brake Pads/Discs/Sensor
Thermostat Housing Assembly
Engine Shampoo
Oil Change - Mobil 1 5w-30
P/S Resevoir Cap

| 3-Jan-11 | 123,913 km | Island Motorsport |
Rear Brake Pad Sensor
Rear Brake Pad Set
Rear Brake Rotor x2
Direct Ignition Coil x6
Valve Cover Gasket Kit / Washers x16
Oil Filler Cap
R Front Outer Window Seal

| 24-Nov-11 | 138, 254 km | Island Motorsport |
Oil Level Sender / Steering Angle Sensor
DSC Pump Assembly - Replaced

| 9-Dec-11 | 140,114 km | Island Motorsport
Replace Battery

| 6-Jan-12 | 141,307 km | Island Motorsport
Control Arm Bushing Set (Front) Replace
Brake Pad Sensor - Front
Brake Pad Set - Front
Brake Disc x2 - Front
Brake Calipper L-Front/R-Front
Air Filter/Cabin Air Filter
Blower Motor Resistor
Valve Cover Gasket Set/Washers x16

| 15-Feb-12 | 143,739 km | Island Motorsport
Oil Filter Stand Gasket - Replace

| 29-Feb-12 | 144,478 km | Island Motorsport
AutoTrans Filter Kit
Replace Trans Filter & Fluid-Dexron III
Power Steering Fluid Service
Wiper Blades x 2

| 12-Oct-12 | 157,157 km | Island Motorsport
Replace Direct Ignition Coil

| 9-Jan-13 | 162,169 km | Island Motorsport
Axle Assembly - R Front/L Front
Silicone Leaking Oil Pan Bolts

| 28-Mar-13 | 167,215 km | Island Motorsport
Valve Cover Gasket Set/Washers x16
Axle Assembly - Rfront WARRANTY

| 5-Nov-13 | 173,095 km | Canadian Tire, Victoria BC
Replace Alternator

Canadian Alpina Forum

Last edited by Vader; 04-19-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
Vader

Post Reserved for Future Use.

Canadian Alpina Forum
Old 04-20-2015, 06:25 PM   #5
erickonphoenix

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
What a great trip and a very nice Touring! Congratulations, I'd love to take a trip like that someday.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #6
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
nice pickup, sport package is rare so good find there. I like the wheels it came with better than the usual 7 spoke stock wheels I see (and that my car came with)
jwm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:57 PM   #7
Jomar

My Ride: e46 323i touring
Great touring i hope you enjoy your new ride
Jomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #8
Vader

Update:

I took the car in for its Out of Province Inspection (OPI), which is basically a thorough safety inspection to make sure its safe to operate. I took it to a local shop that is run by the former head master tech at Edmonton BMW based on the recommendations of other local owners. The guy is leasing out space from another shop, Sphinx Auto in Edmonton, and advised me that the host shop would be doing the OPI but he would be willing to do any of the work it needed if it needed any. I said okay and brought the car in. When I arrived the guy at the host shop refused to shake my hand cause his hands were covered in grease, which is fine. However before washing his hands he proceeded to take my keys and get into my car which has a TAN interior. Needless to say when I got the car back it had a bunch of grease marks on the door handle which really pissed me off.

While waiting for the car with my daughter, some guy who was helping out (I don't even know if he worked their) came out from the back smelling of weed. I even asked another customer in the lobby, "do you smell that?" and he said "yup". When your supposed to be doing a SAFETY inspection on someones vehicle, or repairing vehicles, I think its extremely ridiculous that they thought it was okay to get high. Needless to say I will never take my car back to Sphinx Auto.

They completed the inspection and I learned the car failed. They advised me the car had a broken rear coil spring, the tie rod was excessively worn, and both front ball joints needed to be replaced. I had a PPI done prior to the purchase, and it never mentioned ANY of these issues. So I called the shop to see what happened. I sent them the pictures of the broken coil spring (below), and they asked me to get a second quote for the repairs.

I took the car to Stony Plain Auto Centre for a second opinion. I simply asked them to check the entire front end, and see if it would pass an OPI. They finished and advised me that the only thing the car needed to pass the OPI was the right front ball joint would need to be replaced. Tie rods were fine. And obviously the coil spring. They let me come into the back and film the play in the ball joint, which I sent off to the shop that did the PPI. The shop then agreed to pay for the parts that I would need, and accepted responsibility for missing those during the original inspection. I respect the way they handled this and bear no resentment towards them.

Here is the original PPI:

The first repair quote I got from the original shop doing the OPI:

The broken coil spring:

Some pics of the car up on the hoist:

Here are the new parts that the shop in BC sent me:

I have finished installing the rear springs, and I am in the process of replacing the control arm. Work has temporarily interrupted me. Will post pictures of that when I can.

Anyone know how long it will take the new springs to settle down? Im not sure if its my eyes playing tricks on me or legit, but it looks like I have a bit of positive camber with the new springs.

Canadian Alpina Forum
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM   #9
SexualChocolate

My Ride: 325iT/M5/10R/Aero750
That's cool. Some of the best times I've had have been on the roads between Calgary and Vancouver. To be quite honest I didn't see many tourings last time I was there. Truly a sight to beold...maybe I will make a trip up there in mine this summer.

Nice car and lovely pics!
SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM   #10
RiceMilkSalt

My Ride: 2006 325Ci - M-Sport
Send a message via ICQ to RiceMilkSalt
Love the Touring. If I ever need an upgrade in space from my coupe, I'll be looking at Tourings for sure.

You didn't stop and take a picture with the Rambo poster in Hope when you gassed up...?
RiceMilkSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:08 AM   #11
Vader

^^ Hahah. I didn't even know that existed! Otherwise I probably would have lol.

Thanks for the comments guys. Im really anxious to just get it registered and start really driving it.

Canadian Alpina Forum