E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM   #1
LowProBimmer

My Ride: 325i 01
Smoked headlight housing ?

I just blacked out the headlight housing in my 325i what do you guys think ? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1429327627.063159.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	597631Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1429327643.150503.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	290.9 KB
ID:	597632Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1429327671.530484.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	597633
LowProBimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old Yesterday, 11:41 PM   #2
LordVader416

My Ride: E46 Touring, E36 328
Isn't the whole purpose of the housing to reflect the light from the bulb forward so you can see while driving? What does blacking it out accomplish other then looking "cool"?

E36 328i - Canyonrot Metallic | OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | M3 Contours | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
E46 325xi Touring - Orientblau Metallic

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club #343!

Canadian Alpina Forum
LordVader416 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:46 PM   #3
LowProBimmer

Yes that's the purpose of the reflective housing . But I only use my cheap angel eyes with the fogs at night and they are positioned right in front on the reflective chrome . I get good lighting never been pulled over
Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM   #4
LowProBimmer

So you're admitting they look cool?
Old Today, 01:20 AM   #5
invisible man

My Ride: invisible car
lolwut? That's not the housing genius, that's the reflector. durrrrrr

Anybody got a katana I could borrow?
Old Today, 01:53 AM   #6
AndreBXP

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
This is dangerous; if you had xenon projectors it wouldn't be as big a deal, but this is just unsafe.
AndreBXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:34 PM   #7
LowProBimmer

Angel lights don't use the reflector and I see fine at night . They are pretty bright at night. Anyway I'm planning on getting real angel eyes headlights
Old Today, 06:49 PM   #8
Cruzader

My Ride: Alpinweiß facelift
Can confirm that my high beams became nonfunctional after doing this years ago. OP is rahtarded

Good look on your "getting real angel eyes headlights" goals of 2015
Old Today, 06:52 PM   #9
LowProBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzader View Post
Can confirm that my high beams became nonfunctional after doing this years ago. OP is rahtarded

Good look on your "getting real angel eyes headlights" goals of 2015

How can your high beams become nonfictional after doing this ? Then we are both retarded for doing the same thing . Great minds think alike

Have a cookie
Old Today, 06:55 PM   #10
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I think you pretty much made your headlights nonfunctional.
Old Today, 07:04 PM   #11
AndreBXP

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I think you pretty much made your headlights nonfunctional.
This^.....Painting your reflector bowls is only OK if you have bi-xenon lights. That way you have functional high-beams and low-beams; the only thing that suffers is the "flash to pass" function. In the setup you have, both the low-beams and high-beams are now severely degraded in performance. This is not safe AT ALL; Please fix this.
AndreBXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:09 PM   #12
Cruzader

My Ride: Alpinweiß facelift
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowProBimmer View Post
How can your high beams become nonfictional after doing this ? Then we are both retarded for doing the same thing . Great minds think alike

Have a cookie
Nonfunctional in the sense that very little light is reflected off of the housing after it is painted black.

We did not do the same thing because I have HID headlights in a projector housing and considered this consequence prior to doing the modification, unlike you coming on the forum and pretending like you still have sufficient light output. You don't. Trust me. I'm not a retard.

Wait until the night you run into bad weather or are on the highway, or both! Then come back to this thread and admit how you done goofed
Old Today, 07:50 PM   #13
LowProBimmer

I've had them on for about 7 months now and I haven't had a problem on the freeway and streets .
Old Today, 07:54 PM   #14
LowProBimmer

Only problem here is I forgot to put the washer on the oil plug underneath after I drained my engine oil. Now I will have to loose some oil again trying to put it back on .
Old Today, 08:24 PM   #15
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
I just blacked out the headlight housing in my 325i what do you guys think ?

Quote:
I've had them on for about 7 months now and I haven't had a problem on the freeway and streets .

So you just blacked them out seven months ago?
Old Today, 08:38 PM   #16
LowProBimmer

Just the lights . I painted the housing couple days ago
Old Today, 10:23 PM   #17
LordVader416

Not only do I agree with everyone above regarding the decreased light output, and safety aspects, but I also think it actually does look like ****.

Im sure you thought it was a great idea at the time, but sadly its not. I have had some shitty headlights in various vehicles I have owned, and I hate not being able to see in bad weather, or even good weather for that matter. My bi-xenons in the E46 have been the best headlights i have ever had. I don't ever plan on changing them.

E36 328i - Canyonrot Metallic | OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | M3 Contours | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |

Canadian Alpina Forum
Old Today, 11:02 PM   #18
LowProBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordVader416 View Post
Not only do I agree with everyone above regarding the decreased light output, and safety aspects, but I also think it actually does look like ****.

Im sure you thought it was a great idea at the time, but sadly its not. I have had some shitty headlights in various vehicles I have owned, and I hate not being able to see in bad weather, or even good weather for that matter. My bi-xenons in the E46 have been the best headlights i have ever had. I don't ever plan on changing them.

I still think it was a good idea . I rarely drive at night in this car anymore and i like how the headlights look . My car my style your opinions won't make me run out there and start removing the paint lol if I decide to change something it's for my personal taste . You should see all the heads this baby turns on the street and I'm not even trying
Old Today, 11:20 PM   #19
LordVader416

Quote:
I still think it was a good idea . I rarely drive at night in this car anymore and i like how the headlights look . My car my style your opinions won't make me run out there and start removing the paint lol if I decide to change something it's for my personal taste . You should see all the heads this baby turns on the street and I'm not even trying
LOL. All the heads it turns? Bro, its not a Lambo. Its a 10 year old E46. You don't have to remove the paint if you don't want to, but please fix your grammar.

Also, modifying the light output of your lights is actually a serious offense in many places. Not only can you be cited, you could also be held liable in the event of a crash. Just an FYI.

Canadian Alpina Forum