E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Southeast

Southeast
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
AR AL GA FL KY LA MS NC SC TN

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #21
seattle330

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
My advice would be to do a bunch of research about traffic fines, points, different possible outcomes, and then formulate a game plan. Couple questions:
1. Did the cop get you with radar, laser, or just pace you?
2. Was there any other traffic around (i.e. were you speeding or driving recklessly)?

If there are any uncertainties, you can try to call the speed into question or plead not guilty. For the most part, speeding tickets are a revenue generation source, so if you play along they ding you, and if they have to get their ducks in a row (i.e. officer in court, etc.), some will drop the fine just to get you to take it and move on. Other places do the opposite. Research and be prepared. Also, get a radar detector and laser jammer and don't drive dangerously.
seattle330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #22
jayinsaney

My Ride: '02 325i topsaublu
Super speeding....not sure where to put this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK330ci View Post
There's no such thing as a "clear cut case".

I can give you a lot of reasons to plead Not guilty.

1) The officer might be a "No Show", if you plead Not guilty you walk.

2) The officer may have lost his notes, again you walk.

3) Maybe you come up with a "plausible" reason for speeding at that moment.
Your ticket might be greatly reduced or you may be found not guilty.

Remember, you are Not guilty until the judge says you are.
Ah, I see.
I wonder how many times cops don't show up. I really didn't have a good reason for speeding....I was being stupid. The trooper was hidden very well, and when I passed him I slowed down to the limit , he slowly caught up to me and followed me for about a quarter mile or so before turning on his lights. I immediately have my blinker and pulled over. I already had my license in hand and gave it to him and was polite. He, on the other hand didn't say much at all. He took my license and came back with the ticket and asked me to sign it. I signed it and he said, "drive safely" and that was it...never explained to me anything about the super speeder law, etc and I never got a chance to say much at all.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #23
jayinsaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle330 View Post
My advice would be to do a bunch of research about traffic fines, points, different possible outcomes, and then formulate a game plan. Couple questions:
1. Did the cop get you with radar, laser, or just pace you?
2. Was there any other traffic around (i.e. were you speeding or driving recklessly)?

If there are any uncertainties, you can try to call the speed into question or plead not guilty. For the most part, speeding tickets are a revenue generation source, so if you play along they ding you, and if they have to get their ducks in a row (i.e. officer in court, etc.), some will drop the fine just to get you to take it and move on. Other places do the opposite. Research and be prepared. Also, get a radar detector and laser jammer and don't drive dangerously.
I was cited by Georgia State Patrol and he said he got me with laser, which was calibrated around 3 hours before he pulled me over. There wasn't much traffic, according to the ticket it was "medium" and the blacktop was dry. I wasn't cutting people off or anything reckless, I guess.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #24
epfenninger

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Don't be jerks guys come on, we all speed. I personally got a ticket saying I was doing 60 in a 30( I wasn't) and went to court and got it reduced too 100 dollars from 300, they were not very nice about it, even though it was my first ticket. They wanted me to kiss their feet and admit that I did it and I would not, I was very respectful but still guess they just want you to kiss their feet. It happens bro, don't worry, I've done speeds faster than that, I'm sure we all have. Don't listen to the negative guys about yanking your license, they're jerks. I would suggest a radar detector, really does help, even if it's a cheap one
epfenninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #25
tcphoto

My Ride: '01 325Cic TiAg
I live in Atlanta and it is very easy to drive 70+ on the interstates. However, it is quite reckless and you endanger others by driving faster than 75. The only way to learn from this is to pay the penalty and hope that they don't suspend your license. I hope that you live near a Marta Station.
tcphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #26
jayinsaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by epfenninger View Post
Don't be jerks guys come on, we all speed. I personally got a ticket saying I was doing 60 in a 30( I wasn't) and went to court and got it reduced too 100 dollars from 300, they were not very nice about it, even though it was my first ticket. They wanted me to kiss their feet and admit that I did it and I would not, I was very respectful but still guess they just want you to kiss their feet. It happens bro, don't worry, I've done speeds faster than that, I'm sure we all have. Don't listen to the negative guys about yanking your license, they're jerks. I would suggest a radar detector, really does help, even if it's a cheap one
Thank you to all of you being helpful and positive, it is much appreciated.
So the consensus is to plead not guilty? I made notes of the incident about an hour after it happened and I plan to take the notes with me to court.
In my defense I plan on saying that I was actually in the process of slowing down as I was clocked by him which is actually true. He followed me for about a quarter mile before he actually turned his lights on and at this point i was doing 5 over the limit, which is generally acceptable unless they have other reasons to stop you. Like I said, I immediately pulled over and already had my license ready before he even came up to my window. I was polite, didn't talk back, and was respectful. The officer never explained to me what a super speeder was and that i'd be cited for it. What do you think?

@tcphoto, I really do not hope they suspend my license as I commute to school. I do live near Marta but It's not the most convenient option. And again, I definitely do agree that it was a dangerous thing to do.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #27
choxor

My Ride: JDM
You've admitted that you were speeding. So now you're going to go to court and lie?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #28
jayinsaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
You've admitted that you were speeding. So now you're going to go to court and lie?
I never said I wasn't speeding. i simply said that I had already begun to slow down by the time he clocked me. if you read above you'll notice that the officer followed me for about 1/4 mile before turning his lights on. By this time, i was actually doing the speed limit. I intend to go to court and simply try to get a reduced penalty. I doubt they will let me off with a clean slate, nor do I hope they do. I just don't want them to suspend my license or charge me a multiple hundred dollar fine.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #29
choxor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayinsaney View Post
I never said I wasn't speeding. i simply said that I had already begun to slow down by the time he clocked me. if you read above you'll notice that the officer followed me for about 1/4 mile before turning his lights on. By this time, i was actually doing the speed limit. I intend to go to court and simply try to get a reduced penalty. I doubt they will let me off with a clean slate, nor do I hope they do. I just don't want them to suspend my license or charge me a multiple hundred dollar fine.

Oh a multiple hundred dollar fine is guaranteed. I can assure you of that. And you're not a first-time offender so good luck with getting any real leniency. You need to either get an attorney or pay the ticket. Either way you're going to be paying a lot of money.

And who cares how fast you were going when he actually pulled you over. How is that relevant. Now you make it sound like you were doing MORE than 93 MPH before he clocked you.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #30
jayinsaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Oh a multiple hundred dollar fine is guaranteed. I can assure you of that. And you're not a first-time offender so good luck with getting any real leniency. You need to either get an attorney or pay the ticket. Either way you're going to be paying a lot of money.

And who cares how fast you were going when he actually pulled you over. How is that relevant. Now you make it sound like you were doing MORE than 93 MPH before he clocked you.
That's a good point. Now I'm even more confused. To plead guilty or not guilty?
Old 05-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #31
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci

$200 is very cheap for speeding that much over. Just pay it.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 PM   #32
jayinsaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBizzo88 View Post
$200 is very cheap for speeding that much over. Just pay it.

The state of Georgia has this law called "super speeder law", according to which the state tacks-on another two-hundred-dollar state-fee for any driver convicted of speeding at 75-or-more on any two-lane roads.. OR convicted of speeding at 85-and-over anywhere in Georgia. Those new state fees will be in addition to any local fines already in effect in the jurisdiction where the speeding offense occurs.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #33
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI

Quote:
By no means am I saying what I did was not wrong so those who wish to post negative comments....please don't.

I was wondering if it makes sense getting an attorney or not...mostly because I'm strapped for cash this month. If I'm not mistaken (ill have to check the policy) but I believe my Nationwide insurance policy allows 1 at fault accident and ticket every 6 months...or maybe it's 1 year so the points on my record are a concern but not as large as the fine I will have to pay.

First off don't speed... I know we all do from time to time(I'm talking like maybe 10 over) but don't do it if you are broke on top of that.

zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #34
Buck Henry

My Ride: 2001 330ci Convertib
You are either going to pay a lawyer or pay the court, but either way you are screwed man. I suggest hiring my attorney, Mr. Ben Dover.
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #35
jayinsaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
You are either going to pay a lawyer or pay the court, but either way you are screwed man. I suggest hiring my attorney, Mr. Ben Dover.
Oh, I see. Am I incorrect in assuming that if I hire an attorney then I won't have to pay the fines? Can attorneys usually get you off the hook?

-Jay
Old 05-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #36
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Quote:
Ah, I see.
I wonder how many times cops don't show up. I really didn't have a good reason for speeding....I was being stupid. The trooper was hidden very well, and when I passed him I slowed down to the limit , he slowly caught up to me and followed me for about a quarter mile or so before turning on his lights. I immediately have my blinker and pulled over. I already had my license in hand and gave it to him and was polite. He, on the other hand didn't say much at all. He took my license and came back with the ticket and asked me to sign it. I signed it and he said, "drive safely" and that was it...never explained to me anything about the super speeder law, etc and I never got a chance to say much at all.

My experience is 40% of the time the Cop is a no show. BUT if you plead guilty YOU ARE STILL GUILTY, so plead Not guilty and let the judge call the cop. If the cop isn't in court, your case is instantly dismissed. If he's in court, you are both sworn in; and let the games begin.

Consider yourself lucky as hell there was little to no conversation between you, anything you said was written down to be Used Against You.

Don't hire a lawyer, be your own lawyer. Don't forget to Always look the judge in the eye.

Remember, you are Only guilty if the judge says you are.

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #37
choxor

Yeah, and what exactly is his defense going to be if the cop does show.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #38
jayinsaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK330ci View Post
My experience is 40% of the time the Cop is a no show. BUT if you plead guilty YOU ARE STILL GUILTY, so plead Not guilty and let the judge call the cop. If the cop isn't in court, your case is instantly dismissed. If he's in court, you are both sworn in; and let the games begin.

Consider yourself lucky as hell there was little to no conversation between you, anything you said was written down to be Used Against You.

Don't hire a lawyer, be your own lawyer. Don't forget to Always look the judge in the eye.

Remember, you are Only guilty if the judge says you are.
Thank you very much for this response. Will they judge ask me questions like "were you were you not speeding"? I was speeding so what explanation do i give for not pleading guilty? I hate to keep asking questions but I've never been through this.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #39
BimmerTech84

My Ride: 05 ZHP, 98 Jeep 5.9
You are correct, an attorney can almost always get the citation to disappear. It is worth the upfront cash you will have to spend. If you just go to court on your own, you will almost definitely end up paying a few hundred bucks in fines, plus the increase in your insurance premium, and thats if they don't take your license completely. It's your choice, be broke now, or broke later. You are crazy if you try and fight this yourself. If you were really going as fast as you were, especially being a younger person in a BMW, I bet he will remember you and show up.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #40
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
The best advise i could give you would be this; go to traffic court once or twice (before your date) for the entire morning or afternoon session, you'd be shocked on what you'll learn.

A true story:

I was in court once and an older man swore in Not guilty for running a red light. The cop swore in and told the judge he clearly watched the man run the red light, it looked hopeless. But now it was the old guys turn to testify. The old guy says, Judge, what the officer didn't see was the accident that i just avoided by running the red light. The judge apparently liked the fact that the old man just avoided an accident, by purposely running that red.......NOT Guilty !

I was in shock, but it goes to show that the judge is the law maker in his court room. The old guy testified to breaking the law, but his "Story" was great and he was found not guilty.

BIMMERS FOR EVER !
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote