E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Dave@Bimmer_Speed

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
Question A/C Question for the AC Gurus

2003 BMW 325i

My AC only blew warm air so I used a vacuum pump to drain the system and then I checked if the system held pressure (No leaks). I used one of those tools that connect to both the Low and High pressure ports (No that walmart crap) to put in the freon. I've successfully done this on other cars before by the way. But after putting freon into the system ONLY Cool Air blows and not Cold air. The AC Compressor works and there aren't any leaks.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be going on? One of the tubes clogged maybe?
Dave@Bimmer_Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
vandyboy

My Ride: 2001 325i
Is the center vent moved to blue instead of red? Did you overfill or underfill?

I don't know your process for adding refrigerant, but this is how I was taught. Hook your high and low side hoses and r134 back up and get someone to sit in the car. Turn the car on and put the A/C on max with the fan on high. Have the person keep RPMs at 2000 while you measure how much refrigerant is in the system. Either let some out or add some more until the person in the car tells you when the A/C gets cold
vandyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
David McMahon

My Ride: 15/Dec/98 E46 328i
In the A/C DIY thread it mentions changing the drier when the system is exposed to the atmosphere, so I wonder if you need a new one of those (i.e did you system lose vacuum and allow air to get in)
David McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Big Rick

My Ride: 325Xi
Unless you used the proper gauges... You'll never really know how much R34a is in your system. If it was totally flat... You may have lost the oil charge... As was mentioned... The Dryer could be shot too.

I'd take it to a place that can recover what is in there... Draw a vacuum and then install all the right stuff in the correct amounts. It doesn't cost much if you find the right place.... As long as they don't have to replace the dryer for you or something like that.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
A professional recharging might cost $75. Getting your compressor fixed because you over or underfilled it would be $$$...over a thousand at most shops.

Take it to a professional. You'll note that r134a capacity is under the hood...given in lbs. 1.86 +/- .05 lbs. on mine. You can't get that by measuring only pressure. A shop has a machine that will fill by weight and you'll know it's right. Not worth it. afaik, if you make a sizeable mistake with 134a levels you can damage a compressor.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #6
Dave@Bimmer_Speed

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
What do you mean by a lost oil charge?
Dave@Bimmer_Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Yewzer B Lewzer

My Ride: 2003 325i
A/C Question for the AC Gurus

The compressor has oil in it, and about 10% of that oil flows in the refrigerant through the system. Leaking systems will eventually run the compressor low on oil.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'03 325i. '74 Jeep CJ-5. '93 Sailfish 170XL. '12 Westside SS Longboard. One of these four are sure to be running at any given point in time.
Yewzer B Lewzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
TEAMAFLCON

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@Bimmer_Speed View Post
2003 BMW 325i

My AC only blew warm air so I used a vacuum pump to drain the system and then I checked if the system held pressure (No leaks). I used one of those tools that connect to both the Low and High pressure ports (No that walmart crap) to put in the freon. I've successfully done this on other cars before by the way. But after putting freon into the system ONLY Cool Air blows and not Cold air. The AC Compressor works and there aren't any leaks.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be going on? One of the tubes clogged maybe?
This is EXACTLY what is happening to mine.

2003 325I with 94K miles.

Compressor is working, but a guy at Autozone told me that it had too much refrigerant. He told me this when he tried to recharge it using those $40 deals at Autozone. He was trying to fill it up but it wouldn't let him. The gauge showed that it was full (way in the red using that little gauge).

Last edited by TEAMAFLCON; 06-07-2013 at 04:39 PM.
TEAMAFLCON is offline   Reply With Quote