E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #1
PrittyM3

My Ride: E46 M3
My radio keeps cutting out??? help

My radio keeps cutting out, at first i thought maybe it was because of my stiff suspension(kw v2) but now i noticed it even cuts off when im on a perfectly flat surface with no bumps... it also now just recently started getting even worse to where it will cut off every 2 secs (sometimes) while im at a stop with my engine off even. it is the same no matter if its playing the radio, a cd, or even my ipod, it always cuts off. do i need to buy a new headunit? or if anyone has had this problem what did you do???? any help would be appreciated thanks in advanced

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
What keeps cutting off? The sound? It keeps rebooting? What system do you have?
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
fadeaway

My Ride: 04 330Ci
sounds like you have electrical issues. but then again, you are giving no details about your setup.

check your battery and alternator first, then go from there.
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
PrittyM3

just buisness headunit(if thats what you call it) from the factory that is all. this just started happening recently. and it wont really reboot like everything will still be on but it sounds like it is rebooting ( as in it is just quiet like if it were off) theres no static or anything like that if thats what you mean. it will cut off for about 1-6 secs or so each time and sometimes it might cut off every 5 secs or so but sometimes it wont cut off for maybe ten mins. But its usually more like every 20 secs or so
Old 04-07-2011, 02:18 AM   #5
Arty

Could be a loose mute wire on a phone kit or a dying amp. Is it volume dependant?
Old 04-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
PrittyM3

hmmm i am not very good with radio/electrical stuff' so i dont know what you mean sorry...haha
Old 04-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
PrittyM3

BUMP trying to get this fixed this weekend! help!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
PrittyM3

update the radio basically completely cut out now its now stopped since this morning at about 8am. about 2 weeks ago i took it to an indy shop to get it checked out and they dont know what it is but offered for them to re wire it for 350?? Can anyone help me please. im falling asleep with no radio haha!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
CShell

My Ride: Cait
Send a message via AIM to CShell
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrittyM3 View Post
update the radio basically completely cut out now its now stopped since this morning at about 8am. about 2 weeks ago i took it to an indy shop to get it checked out and they dont know what it is but offered for them to re wire it for 350?? Can anyone help me please. im falling asleep with no radio haha!
Bump.

I've been having the same issue for months. Some days, it's out for hours. Some days, it's out for 4 - 5 seconds sporatically.

I've heard Voltage regulator, I've heard battery, I've heard Amp, I've heard loose wires, etc. etc. Sound shop said it'd be $400 minimum, $1,000 max. And DAYS in the shop.
CShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
PrittyM3

i am about 95 percent sure i just need another amp. Mines completely done. I just have to wait to find a good one. Hopefully it will fix the problem
Old 10-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #11
BMWfever

My Ride: '06 330 Ci
Your symptoms do not sound exactly like mine, but it could be the "tuner" box in the trunk. There apparently is an issue with the solder joints on the pc boards. . . I replaced my tuner with a remanufactured unit, and have had no further issues.

In my case, the radio would usually play when I first started the car, but at some random time, half the speakers would cut out.
BMWfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:03 AM   #12
Arty

The tuner-amp is located inside the BMW business headunit. Only nav equipped cars have a separate tuner-amp in the boot.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #13
CShell

My Ride: Cait
Send a message via AIM to CShell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
The tuner-amp is located inside the BMW business headunit. Only nav equipped cars have a separate tuner-amp in the boot.
Is this true? My radio keeps cutting out, too. I thought it was the amp, and I thought the amp was in the trunk.
CShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:34 AM   #14
Arty

There is a BMW business radio with FM tuner with 4 channel amp in the front. This drives via speaker level audio an amp in the luggage compartment on US model cars.

That dedicated amplifier is made by Lear or HK depending on vehicle specification.

That location is prone to water damage if boot lit is leaking rainwater on saloon cars.

Just like any electrical device, solder joints can go bad after time with vibration, leading to intermittent operation.

Last edited by Arty; 10-07-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
reyes186

My Ride: e46
same problem here my radio just died on me no sound at all but it's showing that is working .
Old 12-16-2011, 04:47 PM   #16
Erick Sermon

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Mine does it too but only left channel. It's a loose wire. Comes back if I smack the dash.

$400 sounds like they're ripping you off. The wires are tight back there and cold weather makes them contract. My plan is prop the wires better at some point.
Erick Sermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #17
Jason 330ci

My Ride: bmw330ci
I've got similar problem where radio works fine with just ignition on but wen I start the car it cuts out and doesn't come back on ? Very annoying I've had a few people look at it but they seem to guess the problem. I've got the hk package with all the radio amp sat nav in the boot . I had the radio unit repaired but hasnt helped . Voltage problem maybe ? Regulator problem ? Or amp ?

Last edited by Jason 330ci; 02-10-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Jason 330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
gravyface

My Ride: e30 318iS
I'm having a similar problem, except the unit won't power on at all. The power button does seem a bit sloppy, but think it always has (have had the car since late Nov.). The CD player ejects/accepts CDs, so there's obviously power going to it. There is a red button that keeps flashing intermittently -- had an old Audi that would periodically kick in the anti-theft and render the stereo inoperable -- but from the Business CD manual, just says that "the anti-theft is automatic. No manual code entry required". No idea if that flashing light is the issue or not.
gravyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #19
putyoursoxon

My Ride: 03 M3
can some one give me a location of the tuner amp on sat nav cars, I think my car is staring to have this problem, is it located next to the cd changer and dvd drive?
putyoursoxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
BimmerFool1

My Ride: 02' BMW 325i 5MT
Ive been having an issue like you guys have been experiencing as well, my symptoms are that my radio will play most of the time to normal. but latley its been cutting out when I pull to a speed at about 5mph or less, or if I take a turn or just drop into first gear.... when I get into second gear it cuts back on or if I speed up enough...it doesnt seem to give me any problems if I am driving at a speed above 5mph....it doesnt happen all the time thou, frequent but not always some days more than others...some days it never happens...Hmmm anyone have any ideas of whats going on?

Last edited by BimmerFool1; 05-01-2013 at 07:01 PM.
BimmerFool1 is offline   Reply With Quote