E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2015, 10:08 PM   #1
Balkanac

My Ride: 325ci M-Sport
Business CD AUX option with phone setup

Hello all,
I have searched up and down the internet but im unable to find an aswer to my question: I have a 2003 E36 325ci with a business CD stereo and the phone setup in the centre console for some old Ericsson mobile phone.
I have figured out how to pair my iPhone with the stereo via bluetooth and that works great. What i haven't figured out is how to stream music from the phone (if that at all possible) and there is AUX mode on the stereo that does nothing. If i push and hold the "talk" button on the steering wheel, it cuts the music and waits for me to say something. no matter what i say the lady says "sorry" 3 times, says "cancel" and puts the music back on. I hate her!
Any info would be great
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Enter the last 7 characters of your car's VIN at this website: http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

This will tell you if the Bluetooth is BMW or aftermarket. It's probably from the factory. Unfortunately, BT of that vintage doesn't stream music, it only works for calls. The Aux doesn't work because it requires an interface cable that runs from the back of the head unit to the cabin and your phone.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
Balkanac

i know the bluetooth is bmw genuine, that wasnt my question. what i need to know is why cant i make calls and why is it that the stereo has the AUX option (comes up on the screen when i press "mode" button) but nothing happens. Should i have an AUX plug somewhere in the car?
Old 05-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #4
JoshRush27

My Ride: 330i '01
You indeed need to buy a cable for the aux. you can get it off ebay for around $10. The cable connects to the back of the stereo and the other end becomes your 3.5mm end for iphone,etc.
JoshRush27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
JoshRush27

My Ride: 330i '01
Im also curious how you managed to connect your iphone with bluetooth?
JoshRush27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:04 AM   #6
texas_touring

My Ride: 2003 325xiT
If you have the AUX option coming up on your Business CD display, the auxiliary audio input (if installed at the factory) will be on the left side of the glove compartment and will allow you to plug in a device using a standard 3.5mm cable. If your bluetooth is factory installed, there should be a TCU (Telematics control unit) mounted atop the CD changer rack on the left side of the trunk. If you do not have a CD changer, access to this area will require pulling back the lining of the trunk, however this should only involve the removal of a couple of clips (I wish I could be more descriptive, but it's totally different on the touring!). If you find this module (silver rectangular prism, likely has motorola branding) you can locate the part number of this module, which will go a long way towards determining what functionality your system should have. Good luck!

Last edited by texas_touring; 05-26-2015 at 12:10 AM.
texas_touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:50 AM   #7
Balkanac

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_touring View Post
If you have the AUX option coming up on your Business CD display, the auxiliary audio input (if installed at the factory) will be on the left side of the glove compartment and will allow you to plug in a device using a standard 3.5mm cable. If your bluetooth is factory installed, there should be a TCU (Telematics control unit) mounted atop the CD changer rack on the left side of the trunk. If you do not have a CD changer, access to this area will require pulling back the lining of the trunk, however this should only involve the removal of a couple of clips (I wish I could be more descriptive, but it's totally different on the touring!). If you find this module (silver rectangular prism, likely has motorola branding) you can locate the part number of this module, which will go a long way towards determining what functionality your system should have. Good luck!
Thanks for that, i'll take a look tonight!

Among the books i got with the car was a phone instructions book and it had the word "bluetooth" on it and a plastic card on the cover with the "bluetooth PIN". I read the book and 10 min later my phone was paired
Old 05-28-2015, 05:03 AM   #8
texas_touring

My Ride: 2003 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkanac View Post
Thanks for that, i'll take a look tonight!

Among the books i got with the car was a phone instructions book and it had the word "bluetooth" on it and a plastic card on the cover with the "bluetooth PIN". I read the book and 10 min later my phone was paired
Glad to hear you got that bit sorted! I noticed that you are in Australia; for Right Hand Drive cars the aux input might be on the right side of the glove compartment instead of the left. In either case, the factory aux input is pretty unintuitive in its placement!

In terms of your options for bluetooth streaming, there were never any factory options for A2DP music streaming with the Business CD. However, many aftermarket options exist in the form of units the will emulate the CD Changer by using the trunk prewiring (if your car has this wiring you will likely have a button about 3cm in diameter in the trunk marked "Prewired for BMW CD Changer"). These units typically offer USB and aux inputs in addition to bluetooth streaming, as well as some aspect of controllability from the buttons on the Business CD and multi-function steering wheel. Another possible route might be through a unit that plugs into the auxiliary input (should you find it in your glove compartment). I believe Dension used to make such a unit; it plugged directly into the 3.5mm input and paired via bluetooth to provide music streaming. Because of its reliance on the aux input instead of CD Changer emulation, integration and controllability via the head unit and steering wheel will be nonexistent with this setup.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most phones will only pair with one bluetooth host at a time, so if you are paired with your OEM bluetooth module to handle telephony, it is likely that you will not be able to pair with an aftermarket A2DP module for music streaming simultaneously. With this in mind, perhaps you want to go in another direction entirely!

Keep us posted!
texas_touring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 06:01 AM   #9
Balkanac

You were right, there is an AUX plug on the RHS of the glove box!! I'm now happy with the stereo, I use a generic cable with a 3.5mm jack on each end so I can listen to music from my phone and Bluetooth makes and receives calls. And there is a 6 CD stacker in the boot. For $0 it's great

I have one of those DICE units in my x5, it works ok but as long as you don't listen to CDs or radio. That's one thing I really don't like about it. The song names don't display correctly and it has crashed a few times where I had to unplug and plug it back in.
I don't want another one

Anyway, the car does what I need it to do so I'm happy with it. Thanks for all your help!