E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #581
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 330CI ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlima View Post
Can anyone recommend a good place to download this? Curious if one link is better than others, looks like a lot of spam when I search.
PM Sent...
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #582
Rezist09

My Ride: 325i sedan
So I need to order this to complete the install?

8 Pin Mini Din iPod cable with 90 degree plugs on both ends.
You will need a 8 Pin Mini Din Coupler also.
90 degree antenna adapter.
Rezist09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #583
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezist09 View Post
So I need to order this to complete the install?

8 Pin Mini Din iPod cable with 90 degree plugs on both ends.
You will need a 8 Pin Mini Din Coupler also.
90 degree antenna adapter.
No, we are experimenting with some different cables to get the unit to sit flush. Both the antenna and ipod cables impede the unit from going in far enough to sit flush.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #584
gy2202

My Ride: 2001 E46 330I
OEM NAV and cd stacker owners:

Can anyone post some photos of their install using the extended 17pin connector and the cable routing going back to the head unit?

Thanks
gy2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #585
lrlima

My Ride: 2001 M3 Convertible
Quick update on what ive experienced with the v2 Canbus....

Steering controls work fine.
Unit dims when i turn on the lights.
Unit still randomly starts on a different screen each time i get in the car

THis personally doesnt bother me too much, i just press the home screen and go from there. i usually listen to pandora streaming via bluetooth but it usually will land on the FM radio more times than not when i re start the car. Thats somewhat ironic since i dont have damn radio reception lol

BTW, anyone figure out how to change that goofy blinking musics notes that show while streaming audio?
lrlima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #586
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlima View Post
Quick update on what ive experienced with the v2 Canbus....

Steering controls work fine.
Unit dims when i turn on the lights.
Unit still randomly starts on a different screen each time i get in the car

THis personally doesnt bother me too much, i just press the home screen and go from there. i usually listen to pandora streaming via bluetooth but it usually will land on the FM radio more times than not when i re start the car. Thats somewhat ironic since i dont have damn radio reception lol

BTW, anyone figure out how to change that goofy blinking musics notes that show while streaming audio?
Interesting that the random start up issues wasn't fixed as others said it was. Honestly my Can Bus V1 does everything you V2 does. What about all the LEDs on the buttons, do they dim with the screen now?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #587
beasted86

My Ride: '02 BMW 325i
It kind of confuses me how these things are selling like hot cakes to the tune of them going on backorder, yet we have from what I've seen only 2 users here with the v2 can bus that have posted results at a 50% success rate.

Where did all the other buyers of this unit go?
beasted86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #588
grapaslingo

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
I'm going to hold off for a bit on ordering. Really, as a new owner of a system with OEM nav, I'm still trying to learn more about all the wiring and everything as it is. When you get into all the details of *this specific unit's* limitations, troubleshooting and workarounds, it is incredibly complicated for a newbie. (My suspicion is that most folks who are having varying degrees of success are really already familiar with this stuff from LOTS of previous exposure to similar HUs).
grapaslingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #589
brodaiga

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post
It kind of confuses me how these things are selling like hot cakes to the tune of them going on backorder, yet we have from what I've seen only 2 users here with the v2 can bus that have posted results at a 50% success rate.

my unit is still sitting on the shelf after 3 weeks, arguing with the ebay seller about the v2 canbus and possibly returning the unit.
brodaiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #590
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapaslingo View Post
I'm going to hold off for a bit on ordering. Really, as a new owner of a system with OEM nav, I'm still trying to learn more about all the wiring and everything as it is. When you get into all the details of *this specific unit's* limitations, troubleshooting and workarounds, it is incredibly complicated for a newbie. (My suspicion is that most folks who are having varying degrees of success are really already familiar with this stuff from LOTS of previous exposure to similar HUs).
The install is relatively easy, most folks just discuss the wiring being wrong for it to sit flush but besides that and the canbus issue everything is ok
Old 08-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #591
limpiabota809

My Ride: 330 XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasted86 View Post

In the GB thread, I hope they post their experiences after they receive their item
Old 08-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #592
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodaiga View Post
my unit is still sitting on the shelf after 3 weeks, arguing with the ebay seller about the v2 canbus and possibly returning the unit.
I would also ask Carlos the Eonon Rep if he can assist you.

Eonon's Group Buy Thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...1001983&page=4
Old 08-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #593
ssx

My Ride: 330CI
I ordered mine from "findingroad" on Ebay and have had no issues at all with the Canbus, everything works 100%. Not sure if its the V2 though.

Did you all try the trick of powering the unit first, then adding the canbus while powered up ? Doing this seems to have resolved a number of peoples problems with the random startup. I installed mine this way anyway so not sure if thats the reason I have no problems.

Last edited by ssx; 08-27-2013 at 07:23 AM.
ssx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #594
wvmtnbiker

My Ride: 330i
I also ordered mine from "Findingroad" on Ebay and received it about two weeks ago with the canbus V.1. I detailed all of the issues with V.1 and told them that my installer said it was a waste of time and money to install this with the old canbus. They said they contacted the factory and was told the same and that V.2 would be available soon. I received a new Canbus V.2 and new power harnesses yesterday. This Ebay seller has been great so far. The email communication is excellent if you are in the US and stay up late due to the time difference otherwise you will have an email waiting for you when you wake. It has not been installed yet but I have 60 days to return it for any reason
wvmtnbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #595
brodaiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
I would also ask Carlos the Eonon Rep if he can assist you.

Eonon's Group Buy Thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...1001983&page=4
Carlos and the rest of eonon, want $60 US for the new canbus, $60, is robbery in my opinion. I am waiting for the ebay seller to ship me another canbus and if not further action will be taken.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #596
Scooby24

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Carlos and the rest of eonon, want $60 US for the new canbus, $60, is robbery in my opinion. I am waiting for the ebay seller to ship me another canbus and if not further action will be taken.
For some reason, Eonon has taken the stance that there are two batches of D5150 and as such, those two batches are being treated differently.

First batch with the V1 can bus are required to pay to replace the defective/flawed unit.

Second batch buyers with the V2 can bus have been corrected and for those few that specifically ordered from the second batch and mistakenly got the V1 can bus, they get replacements for free.

It doesn't make any sense, at all. They tout this warranty but consider defects that warrant revisions to NOT be a warrantable item and you have to pay to replace.

Oh, they also made the claim that the wiring adapters for the antenna and ipod needing trimmed isn't a warrantable item because it's not a problem for a "great majority" of owners.

I'd like to meet this great majority because every single person with a LHD BMW has clearance problems with the cables they provide.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #597
brodaiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
For some reason, Eonon has taken the stance that there are two batches of D5150 and as such, those two batches are being treated differently.

First batch with the V1 can bus are required to pay to replace the defective/flawed unit.

Second batch buyers with the V2 can bus have been corrected and for those few that specifically ordered from the second batch and mistakenly got the V1 can bus, they get replacements for free.

It doesn't make any sense, at all. They tout this warranty but consider defects that warrant revisions to NOT be a warrantable item and you have to pay to replace.

Oh, they also made the claim that the wiring adapters for the antenna and ipod needing trimmed isn't a warrantable item because it's not a problem for a "great majority" of owners.

I'd like to meet this great majority because every single person with a LHD BMW has clearance problems with the cables they provide.
I agree 100%, I was in the cutoff between batches and refuse to settle with defective merchandise.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #598
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. I'm one of the few Scooby mentioned is getting a replacement Can Bus for Free. Only because I questioned wether or not it came with the V2 before the unit even shipped. I was told by Eonon it did come with the new V2 Can Bus and it did not. I ordered it thru their eBay store when it was out of stock for 3 weeks, so not getting the new one was a bit frustrating. So far Eonon has tried to make things right so we shall see. I'm still waiting for it to arrive then I have to pay to send the V1 back to them. So it's not totally free after all.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #599
drustonl

My Ride: BMW
Hi All

Its drusto here, from holland. Altough we have great forums I registered here just because of this thread as nobody in holland owns this Eonon........ but soon I Do :-)
Some questions

- If I buy V2, do I still need that antenna signal booster?
- Did anybody find a 90degree ipod connector
- Do I need to buy an extrernal GPS module, and which on e9because I see them of 10 USD up to 100 USD)

Last one:
- Can anybody help me to get a SD card with iGo on it, incl all maps of Europe. I can paypal some money to anybody who can help me out. Especially I need a FAST Sd card I guess
Many thanks!!!
drustonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #600
DrZoom

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Direct Fakra to ISO Antenna Adapter

I experimented with an antenna adapter that would allow a direct connection from the factory antenna connection. It is a CT27AA44 Fakra to ISO Short Version Adapter by www.connects2.com. I bought it from a UK seller and it was about $15 shipped which was a bit pricey (UK post was most of the cost).

I had a second reason for trying this which is I had theorized that the Eonon antenna adapter causes a small bit of signal loss because of the unused amplifier circuit. Reception wasn't awful but one sports station in particular that had been cutting out.

Results were mostly positive. The adapter allows for a direct 90 degree connection and it did (subjectively) slightly improve the reception since the station that had been cutting out no longer does although radio reception is still not quite as good as the stock radio.

Fit in the dash was tighter than with the 90 degree cable I was using but it is acceptable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-17.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	524042   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-15.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	524043   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-21.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	524044   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-23.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	524045  

Last edited by DrZoom; 08-29-2013 at 07:42 AM.
DrZoom is offline   Reply With Quote