E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:12 PM   #821
Thekingarthur

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealet23 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for improving the reception aside from getting the updated e46 antenna for the c pillar? There has got to be a way to get power to the antenna from that diversity antenna lead that would go in the stock head unit...
While installing my unit last night I noticed that the Eonon supplied antenna adapter works better (reception-wise) than the non powered adapter I already had for my aftermarket JVC headunit (Metra 40-EU10).

However the supplied antenna adapter can't be used in LH drive cars. The dang radio won't fit into the dash because the adapter sticks out so far! Perhaps combining the Eonon powered antenna adapter with a right angle extension (Metra 44EC6R or Metra 44-EC12R) will work better than a non-powered antenna adapter? I'm going to give it a try, because it's only a few bucks from Amazon and that's a lot cheaper than the upgraded E46 c-pillar antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20131016_006.png
Views:	89
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	531174  

Last edited by Thekingarthur; 10-17-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Thekingarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:17 PM   #822
pyro225

My Ride: 328ci
Anyway to apply idrive style interface?
pyro225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #823
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekingarthur View Post
While installing my unit last night I noticed that the Eonon supplied antenna adapter works better (reception-wise) than the non powered adapter I already had for my aftermarket JVC headunit (Metra 40-EU10).

However the supplied antenna adapter can't be used in LH drive cars. The dang radio won't fit into the dash because the adapter sticks out so far! Perhaps combining the Eonon powered antenna adapter with a right angle extension (Metra 44EC6R or Metra 44-EC12R) will work better than a non-powered antenna adapter? I'm going to give it a try, because it's only a few bucks from Amazon and that's a lot cheaper than the upgraded E46 c-pillar antenna.
Your car is 2002, I THINK you already have upgraded/best possible antenna (the one without small coax cable connector)...someone correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 10-17-2013, 01:02 PM   #824
Linx

My Ride: '02 BMW 325iT
Yeah my car is a '02 and I bought the Metra adapter for clearance issues. my reception is fine. But when it comes to stations that were already not that great of reception with my stock unit are even worse now.
Linx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #825
Linx

Has anyone tried the accessories usb on the back yet? I just want to know if I can hook up my Android phone to it and if it will charge it. I have a cheap $5 car charger that does absolutely nothing. Figured I have to go put $30 on real charger but would rather save my money if the usb on back works.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #826
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linx View Post
Has anyone tried the accessories usb on the back yet? I just want to know if I can hook up my Android phone to it and if it will charge it. I have a cheap $5 car charger that does absolutely nothing. Figured I have to go put $30 on real charger but would rather save my money if the usb on back works.
I'll test it when I get home tonight if you don't get an answer before then. I can't imagine that it wouldn't charge.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #827
Linx

Thanks
Old 10-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #828
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Just ordered a Eonon D5150! (New version of Eonon D5113/Enco B146)

Quote:
I find that hard to believe. They're not installing multiple color LEDs for each color option, they probably have an RGB setup whose final color value is controlled in software. Besides, I have an orange option on my unit that I just installed last night :-) Matches perfectly.
This is a very good point

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 10-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #829
Thekingarthur

Quote:
I suppose I should be working but I'd rather fiddle with my car so I ran out to the parking garage real quick to test it.

Surprisingly, charging doesn't work on my phone. Granted I have a Windows phone and not Android, but I doubt that makes a difference. I'll test my old Android when I get home.

USB1 doesn't do anything at all. USB2 tries to read the phone's files but fails (presumably and not surprisingly because it's a Widndows phone). Neither one charges my Nokia.

Last edited by Thekingarthur; 10-17-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #830
TR4G-

So.... Linx mentioned that the microphone does not work, he said its practically impossible for a caller to hear you unless you yell. So does this bother anyone else? How can you get a 300+ dollar unit and not have functioning bluetooth capabilities? How can you call? How was this overlooked? We're there not complaints from the previous enco unit.???? I was pretty set on buying this. But after this news, there's no ****ing way I'm buying this.... Sucks. Someone please prove me wrong

Old 10-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #831
Linx

Quote:
I suppose I should be working but I'd rather fiddle with my car so I ran out to the parking garage real quick to test it.

Surprisingly, charging doesn't work on my phone. Granted I have a Windows phone and not Android, but I doubt that makes a difference. I'll test my old Android when I get home.

USB1 doesn't do anything at all. USB2 tries to read the phone's files but fails (presumably and not surprisingly because it's a Widndows phone). Neither one charges my Nokia.
Thanks for that info. I ended up buying a charger anyways. But this is good info.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:47 AM   #832
asdetail

My Ride: 2002 325ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
So.... Linx mentioned that the microphone does not work, he said its practically impossible for a caller to hear you unless you yell. So does this bother anyone else? How can you get a 300+ dollar unit and not have functioning bluetooth capabilities? How can you call? How was this overlooked? We're there not complaints from the previous enco unit.???? I was pretty set on buying this. But after this news, there's no ****ing way I'm buying this.... Sucks. Someone please prove me wrong

the bluetooth voice quality on my d5150 is fine, everybody I speak to seems to hear me ok with me just talking normally,it is a lot better than the d5113 it replaced,and my car is right hand drive,so in theory I am actually further away from the microphone than in a left hand drive vehicle
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #833
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdetail View Post
the bluetooth voice quality on my d5150 is fine, everybody I speak to seems to hear me ok with me just talking normally,it is a lot better than the d5113 it replaced,and my car is right hand drive,so in theory I am actually further away from the microphone than in a left hand drive vehicle
Would you be kind enough to PM Carlos (EononCarDVD) with your serial number or order number and tell him that you have the unit with no MIC problems. Maybe they will find out what the problem is and what units are good/have good quality components.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #834
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Thanks for that info. I ended up buying a charger anyways. But this is good info.
After further testing last night I found that the USB ports in the back don't charge anything.

USB1 doesn't seem to work at all period.

USB2 only works with a flash drive.

Plugging in phones or iPads/iPods or anything else is worthless. No charging or data reading through the USB port for anything other than a flash drive. You might be able to set an Android phone (or other device with this capability) as a USB storage device, and then the Eonon USB2 might read it. I didn't try it though so I wouldn't count on it unless someone else can confirm.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #835
Thekingarthur

Quote:
But after this news, there's no ****ing way I'm buying this.... Sucks. Someone please prove me wrong
I haven't tested my Bluetooth functionality yet (other than pairing and music streaming), but I'll test it today and see how it fares. I'm hoping that I have a newer unit with better Bluetooth since it has the orange color option which many people do not have. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:20 AM   #836
shingo43

My Ride: 04 325ci
Quote:

I don't want to argue but I do get a little annoyed with all the posts you have on this thread and the other Eonon threads, it's a simple purchase decision and it's only $300, no need to get mad, especially you didn't even spent the 300 dollars
shingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:21 AM   #837
TR4G-

Quote:
I haven't tested my Bluetooth functionality yet (other than pairing and music streaming), but I'll test it today and see how it fares. I'm hoping that I have a newer unit with better Bluetooth since it has the orange color option which many people do not have. Fingers crossed.
Thanks man. I hope it works for you. Best solution probsbly would be for you to have someone call you from your car, then you can judge the quality yourself! So many pronouns in that sentence

Old 10-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #838
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo43 View Post
I don't want to argue but I do get a little annoyed with all the posts you have on this thread and the other Eonon threads, it's a simple purchase decision and it's only $300, no need to get mad, especially you didn't even spent the 300 dollars
Sorry, but I'm not trying to bash people for buying this by any means. The reason I'm so animated and participating in these threads is because I am extremely serious about purchasing one. Thus, I want to illicit responses from people about all the aspects of this unit. Sorry if my cursing offended you. It's just that I'm surprised so few have tested their mics. I'm glad kingarthur is testing his and getting back to me.

Everything else seems pretty awesome about this unit. Certainly a better option than dynavin considering the cost, but more importantly that both have their own set of bugs. Why get a 900 dollar unit with different bugs ha. But seriously, this product looks great, and all I've been doing the past week is reading reviews and watching videos of the interface. Please don't confuse my responses as needless, I've gathered a fair amount of information from them

Last edited by TR4G-; 10-18-2013 at 11:26 AM.
TR4G- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #839
Thekingarthur

Quote:
Sorry, but I'm not trying to bash people for buying this by any means. The reason I'm so animated and participating in these threads is because I am extremely serious about purchasing one. Thus, I want to illicit responses from people about all the aspects of this unit. Sorry if my cursing offended you. It's just that I'm surprised so few have tested their mics. I'm glad kingarthur is testing his and getting back to me.

Everything else seems pretty awesome about this unit. Certainly a better option than dynavin considering the cost, but more importantly that both have their own set of bugs. Why get a 900 dollar unit with different bugs ha. But seriously, this product looks great, and all I've been doing the past week is reading reviews and watching videos of the interface. Please don't confuse my responses as needless, I've gathered a fair amount of information from them

Has anyone done a formal review of this unit? I haven't seen one myself yet.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #840
TR4G-

Quote:
Has anyone done a formal review of this unit? I haven't seen one myself yet.
There are a couple floating around YouTube. Certainly wouldn't call them formal. Most of the interface reviews are off the 5151, but a few from e46s. Not much more information than found on these threads, but they do give you a straight up look at the load times and the way the steering wheel buttons interact. For example: I didn't realize that the R/T button changes input mode or that the Bluetooth talk button changes the EQ preset.