E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:25 PM   #1121
knightrider5000

My Ride: 1999 BMW 323i 4 door
Send a message via Yahoo to knightrider5000
Ok GOT my new can bus 2 installed with the new power cable eonon sent me today after 2 months waiting. The rear camera now works with the separate cable hookup. But my Steering Wheel controls do not work now. They worked with the old wire harness and old can bus 1. Anyone else have this problem?
knightrider5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:20 AM   #1122
trentcdrums

My Ride: BMW 323i Sedan
What happens if you turn your iphone screen off?

sig resized by tim330i
trentcdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #1123
djdirec

My Ride: has roof rails
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgabriel View Post
I am baffled at how people have near-OEM radio reception with the D5150. The radio reception in my '03 M3 was pretty much impeccable with the stock radio/CD player setup I had. The D5150 has basically no radio reception. That dangling blue wire doesn't seem to do a damned thing whether it's connected or not - I'm really not clear where the actual antenna connection is or is supposed to go. I live in a very populated area (SF Bay Area/Palo Alto) and have 1 station that comes and goes on the D5150 and is vaguely listenable, that's it. Can somebody explain what I'm doing wrong? It doesn't sound like it's just me though.

It sounds like the GM5150 fixes the annoying Bluetooth audio issue where the D5150 doesn't treat BT audio as a full "source" like the others, so never returns to that source on restart. That's nice. That's one of my several issues with the D5150.

D5150 Major Issues For Me:
1) Aforementioned inability to return to BT audio source on restart. Apparently fixed in GM5150.
2) Aforementioned lack of radio reception.
3) The click/pop on power down. (okay maybe this is a minor rather than major issue, but it gets annoying after a while)
4) The fact that iGo Primo and the GPS clock setting mechanism don't play well together (and if you turn off clock set from GPS option, which some people suggest as a fix to this, the unit will lose the time set on every reboot). This is a pretty major functional issue for iGo Primo nav, makes reported time to destination get offset constantly.
5) Audio mixing is dumb, requires way too much twiddling to get mix of nav TTS audio and music, depending on exact source volume levels/etc.

Screen mirroring sounds awesome, and I was really looking forward to that feature. And the BMW-ish UI is a nice plus. But if the only major fix is for the BT audio issue, then I'm not sure I want to deal with shelling out money and re-installing, especially when it's clear there's relatively minimal after-sale software support for these units.

If somebody could figure out the radio reception issue, that would go a long way toward making me happy with my D5150, and reduce my reticence to jump on board with the GM5150.
I have the same issues in my 02 touring. The radio reception is so poor and the BT mic is horrible. I drilled the holed in the face and the caller can still barely hear me and its muffled. I agree, all 5 of these issues should be fixed and the unit would be great. Also, my CD will not eject now. This thing is almost worthless to me now.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #1124
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 330CI ZHP
Ok I'm in the process of installing the GM5150 right now. I bought several different antenna adapters to experiment with to try and fix the radio reception issue. The one that comes with the unit from Eonon works best without the Blue wire hooked up. This one I bought on eBay for $13 corrects approx 80% of the reception problems.

Metra 40-EU55 Antenna Adapter Cable
For select 2002-Up Volkswagen/BMW vehicles
Powered antenna and newer "FACRA" style connector to aftermarket radio.
1-year Manufacturer's warranty

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 01-17-2014 at 06:44 PM.
WOLFN8TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:01 PM   #1125
wallyworld

My Ride: 2003 325i 4dr sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfn8tr View Post
ok i'm in the process of installing the gm5150 right now. I bought several different antenna adapters to experiment with to try and fix the radio reception issue. The one that comes with the unit from eonon works best without the blue wire hooked up. This one i bought on ebay for $13 corrects approx 80% of the reception problems.

metra 40-eu55 antenna adapter cable
for select 2002-up volkswagen/bmw vehicles
powered antenna and newer "facra" style connector to aftermarket radio.
1-year manufacturer's warranty

cant wait for the review and comparison!!!!!!
wallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:17 PM   #1126
trentcdrums

Do you have to be in wifi to screen mirror?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

sig resized by tim330i
Old 01-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #1127
SzarY

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
Do you have to be in wifi to screen mirror?

Yes
SzarY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #1128
wallyworld

My Ride: 2003 325i 4dr sedan
So does gm5150 have wifi capabilities

Sent from my SPH-D710 using BimmerApp mobile app
wallyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #1129
trentcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SzarY View Post
Yes
Wow what's the point. That's more money to blow to have streaming wifi to your car.:

sig resized by tim330i
Old 01-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #1130
VKnid

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Wow what's the point. That's more money to blow to have streaming wifi to your car.:

No the unit comes with it's own wifi antenna. When you mirror the phone to the head unit it, it's done over the local wifi network created by the head unit. There's not a separate connection going to the car. Basically like this video except the GM5150 acts like the AppleTV.

VKnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:36 PM   #1131
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Quote:

Yeah it's actually pretty baller. Just an extra feature

Old 01-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #1132
trentcdrums

The price though. Is that great to pay extra $50

sig resized by tim330i
Old 01-18-2014, 06:08 PM   #1133
VKnid

My Ride: 2002 330i
To me it was worth the extra $50 to have the ability to have the phone maps/navigation (I wasn't sure if I would like the Kudos navigation) and to be able to stream from multiple devices in the car. The BMWish interface was also a bonus.
VKnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #1134
trentcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKnid View Post
No the unit comes with it's own wifi antenna. When you mirror the phone to the head unit it, it's done over the local wifi network created by the head unit. There's not a separate connection going to the car. Basically like this video except the GM5150 acts like the AppleTV.

So I can be on the interstate and do it? Now you've got me interested

sig resized by tim330i
Old 01-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #1135
trentcdrums

Before I buy it (tonight) should I get the map package or just download it myself and save $30. Not sure if that's all I need to do

sig resized by tim330i
Old 01-18-2014, 09:54 PM   #1136
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
Ok I'm in the process of installing the GM5150 right now. I bought several different antenna adapters to experiment with to try and fix the radio reception issue. The one that comes with the unit from Eonon works best without the Blue wire hooked up. This one I bought on eBay for $13 corrects approx 80% of the reception problems.

Metra 40-EU55 Antenna Adapter Cable
For select 2002-Up Volkswagen/BMW vehicles
Powered antenna and newer "FACRA" style connector to aftermarket radio.
1-year Manufacturer's warranty

So hows it working?

Old 01-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #1137
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
The price though. Is that great to pay extra $50?

Before I buy it (tonight) should I get the map package or just download it myself and save $30. Not sure if that's all I need to do.
Yes, I just installed the GM5150 in place of the D5150 and it's Sweet! I would just get Igo Primo 2.4 and save yourself the $30, Kudos is glitchy anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
So hows it working?
The antenna adapter or the GM5150?

The GM5150 is Sweet, I'm really liking the new unit from Eonon. I'm working on a detailed review. The antenna adapter seems to have helped some of the reception issues. There is slight static on some of the weaker stations but overall it's an improvement.

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 01-20-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:10 AM   #1138
trentcdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
Yes, I just installed the GM5150 in place of the D5150 and it's Sweet! I would just get Igo Primo 2.4 and save yourself the $30, Kudos is glitchy anyway.

The antenna adapter or the GM5150?

The GM5150 is Sweet, I'm really liking the new unit from Eonon. I'm working on a detailed review. The antenna adapter seems to have fixed most of the reception issues. There is slight static on some of the weaker stations but overall it's an improvement.
I'm not sure how to get the Igo on the Sd card, is it really as easy as download and drag on the card? I'd like to order tonight.

sig resized by tim330i
Old 01-19-2014, 01:07 AM   #1139
WOLFN8TR
OEM ///Member

Quote:
I'm not sure how to get the Igo on the Sd card, is it really as easy as download and drag on the card? I'd like to order tonight.
PM'd you..

Eonon GM5150 Thread!
Old 01-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #1140
cyberlando

My Ride: 2002 M3
I really wonder what I making them take forever with my warranty of the unit I sent back I messaged Carlos on my email and through PM AND NO RESPONSE...really reassuring!

cyberlando is offline   Reply With Quote