E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
DMahoney

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Best Option To Replace OEM Battery

So it's time to replace the battery. It hasn't failed me but it's the original battery from 2001. A long time. What brand has people had the best luck with? The otger threads are outdated so i figured I'd ask again.. I was leaning toward the Duralast Platnium H7-AGM.. But open to others' opinions. Thanks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DMahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
ericward

My Ride: 2002 330ci conv
Most all batteries are made by Johnson Controls. This includes most "house brand" batteries from all the auto parts store and within the last ~8 years Optima batteries too. Optima's used to be great but I have seen their quality take a dump since changing manufacturing in Colorado to JC in Mexico.

The AZ Platinum battery is a LGM battery and is a good value. The Sears Platinum is made by Oddisy and that's a really good battery also. Interstate batteries make their own batteries also and are quite good.
ericward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
DMahoney

I go on Optimas website and there isn't a bmw option for cars

Old 06-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
outdated threads are still as accurate as can be. Autozone 49DL is what you need.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
orb

My Ride: Coupè
I have the 49dl and it works great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
orb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
rudycoop

My Ride: 3 pedal 330i
I know more people will tell you to replace it than not, but why spend that kind of money if it isn't giving any signs of failure? I suppose you are on borrowed time, but has it given you any reason to replace other than old age? I have heard the stories. I just haven't seen them for myself.

Just a Jersey guy lost in NorCal

Last edited by rudycoop; 06-03-2013 at 12:44 PM.
rudycoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubois View Post
I have the 49dl and it works great.
+1 Replaced over a year ago, helped with some of my electrical issues. It fit perfect, and was pretty cheap.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
fiveightandten

My Ride: '03 330ci / '98 M3

I like Interstate batteries. I'm running an MTP92 in my 330ci. I've used MTP91s in other BMWs and they've always been very reliable. The car starts right up, well into single digit temps.

They're quality batteries. Don't let the CCA ratings fool you if the Interstate is a little lower than the competition. Interstate does their tests at a lower temperature than most battery makers, so the numbers usually aren't directly comparable.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
ericward

My Ride: 2002 330ci conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMahoney View Post
I go on Optimas website and there isn't a bmw option for cars
I have one in my car. It's a D34-78 yellow top. 78 series dual post (top and side). Can be used in a wide variety of cars including ours.
ericward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
I am honestly in disbelief that you have the original battery. Just not possible with a car that is normally driven. Did you get the car new? If not, more than likely, the battery was replaced at some point with another OE battery. Do you have any service records that you can look at that might tell you when it was replaced? Not truly knowing it's age, I wouldn't replace it if it was working fine. Batteries in the E46 last approx 6-8 years give or take, but no way 12.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
DMahoney

Got it new .. Well my uncle & Confirmed it has never been changed. The date on it has 2001. I can't believe it either LOL but it is what it is. And I have unfortunately left my ignition in the on position while cleaning my car and has killed the battery three or four times. Yes I know I'm an idiot but besides that I Just want to new battery because it deserves one number one and number two I've done some electrical work and would like to change it.. It has started slow during the winter time, but not very much. I have aftermarket radio system and navigation and I just want to get one. How important is the event on the battery? Some of the aftermarket ones don't have one and I know I can get them and put it on it but I was looking at the platnium Duralast h7 And didn't see anywhere to put it.. I didn't see the other girl asked that you guys and it's not on the AutoZone website..

Old 06-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
hanna

My Ride: BMW 328i
Do not get autozone 49dl. It works fine initially but lasts for only 3-4 years. My oem lasted 9 years.
hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #13
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I bought an expensive battery from Advance Auto Parts (highest quality/warranty rating) that was listed for our cars in their catalog. Fits perfectly. Came with the little vent hose elbow and a plug for the other side. It was worth the money IMO. <$200 for 5+ years of good starting.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
DMahoney

So..? Oem? I can get it at cost.. 211

Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
Washburn

My Ride: 2005 AW 330Ci ZHP
Walmart Everstart Maxx H7 (prev known as 94R) - works great - exact fitment. more CCA than OEM.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
beeemerdude

My Ride: Cabrio. Stick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
Walmart Everstart Maxx H7 (prev known as 94R) - works great - exact fitment. more CCA than OEM.
^ I concur. I bought the WalMart Everstart Maxx 94 or 96 last month...? can't remember....Whatever fits the E46 cabrio, anyway. OEM battery grenaded after 8.4 years of service...only b/c I forgot to start/run/drive her in the 4months of winter hibernation. My bad...could have been another 2-3-5 OEM years, I'm sure, if I would have USED my car (or started her up) during winter.
beeemerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeemerdude View Post
^ I concur. I bought the WalMart Everstart Maxx 94 or 96 last month...? can't remember....Whatever fits the E46 cabrio, anyway. OEM battery grenaded after 8.4 years of service...only b/c I forgot to start/run/drive her in the 4months of winter hibernation. My bad...could have been another 2-3-5 OEM years, I'm sure, if I would have USED my car (or started her up) during winter.
Your battery died because it was over 8 years old.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
folgrz
stop looking at me swan

My Ride: 06 AW ZCP
I was looking into getting the Odyssey pc925t

Did a lot of searching on m3f and a lot of guys recommended it. Has more CCA, has bigger power reserve and its about half the weight of the OEM battery

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc925t.htm

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3
folgrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #19
DMahoney

^ LOL well if oem lasts so long why not buy it again.. That's all I'm saying.. Like I Said in the beginning, I have aftermarket subwoofers, speakers, navigation, umnitza angel eyes, & lightbulbs throughout the car. I know some don't matter in pertaining to the battery but I am just saying.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #20
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudycoop View Post
Why spend that kind of money if it isn't giving any signs of failure?
^ This
Summer heat is what kills batteries, but they generally don't die until asked to do work when the temps get cold.

Wait until September...or a particuarly good sale pops up.

FWIW, the original battery in the '99 finally needed to be replaced last fall, just over 13 years after it was installed. The '00 still has its original battery.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote