E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 11:25 PM   #21
deezill

My Ride: 328 ci
Just bought my 00 a few months ago, it has the original battery too but i started to get weird warnings saying my taillights were out and none of my rear bulbs were out.. kinda crazy replaced the battery after i read a few threads here and now no more problems... Just went to o'reillys and matched a optima red top stats to my oem then matched sizes that would fit in the compartment since they dont actually list one for my car. Always ran red/yellow tops and interstate batteries in everything ive ever owned. Havent had any issues yet with the red top in the bimmer
deezill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #22
rudycoop

My Ride: 3 pedal 330i
I have a 2002 325xit with the original battery in it. No problems, but have been considering changing it at some point. Just can't justify it until something happens.

Just a Jersey guy lost in NorCal
rudycoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #23
bmwTuner1

My Ride: Bmw, 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna View Post
Do not get autozone 49dl. It works fine initially but lasts for only 3-4 years. My oem lasted 9 years.

I purchased a BMW batt 3years ago and it went out this month. Turns out they only have a 2year warranty another one would have run me $200 but given the life I got out of it, I decided to try the DL. It costs $175 but you get $15 for your old battery and I had a $40 autozone membership credit so I only paid $120. Plus they come with a 5 year full warranty.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #24
DMahoney

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Best Option To Replace OEM Battery

What do? I see other post about one dl battery but not about the h7 Platnium one...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DMahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #25
filipinoise

My Ride: '02 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
outdated threads are still as accurate as can be. Autozone 49DL is what you need.
+1. I have the same battery in my car.

I take pictures in the San Francisco Bay Area.
www.eluisphoto.com
filipinoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #26
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudycoop View Post
I have a 2002 325xit with the original battery in it. No problems, but have been considering changing it at some point. Just can't justify it until something happens.
Why not replace that. Your battery is over a decade old. It's going to die soon and leave you stranded.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:11 AM   #27
Manny330

My Ride: 02 330i
Send a message via AIM to Manny330

I'm using a Bosch battery for about 9 months or so, so far no problems. I had a napa battery before that which lasted about 7-8 years. Both are made by the same company that make the Bmw battery I believe.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #28
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
A number of posts in this thread -- and others on batteries -- is that Company XYZ makes the batteries for Brand A, Brand B, and Brand C.

While this may be true, but it doesn't mean that the products are the same. With few exceptions, manufacturers will not sell their flagship product under a house label for less money.

For batteries, cases may look the same outside, but inferior material or weaker construction may be used. A less durable mounting method or fewer number of plates may be used. Or quality standards or tolerances may not be as stringent.

On rare occasion, the contracted house brand is "better". For example, Sears' appliances offer more features for less money than the Whirlpool, Samsung, LG counterparts from which they are derived. It depends on what the private label pays for and its negotiating power.

In the automotive world, the same company makes both the GT-R and the Cube. If you prefer German examples, then Lamborghini Aventador and VW Golf. Or BMW-specific: Rolls-Royce and Mini. Components are different. Specifications are different. Quality standards are different. Yes, for a long time, the Camry and Lexus ES were very similar, but there were meaningful differences that a discerning buyer could discern. If you wanted the properties of the Lexus, there was reason to buy it.

BTW, Consumer Reports recently had an article on automotive batteries (although our size was not covered).
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #29
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
I got the autozone battery. Haven't had any issues with it.
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #30
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
The preferred non-OEM battery is the Bosch 49-850B. The Duralast 49-DL, is now out of production.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #31
rudycoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Why not replace that. Your battery is over a decade old. It's going to die soon and leave you stranded.

I've been considering. It just hasn't given me any reason to. I can't see any reason to replace something that works perfectly fine. I have jumper cables and AAA if it comes to that. I feel as if it will give some warning signs at least.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #32
sunsetcoast

My Ride: '99 323i & '00 323iT
With mild Bay Area weather (no heat to kill it and no cold to stress it), the battery could last some time yet, and assuming decent maintenance and properly operating charging system.

When the battery in the '99 failed last fall, it was quick: it needed 2 jump starts in a week. But, there were no complaints about a battery that served for 13 years...in lake effect snow country, at that.
sunsetcoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #33
rudycoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcoast View Post
With mild Bay Area weather (no heat to kill it and no cold to stress it), the battery could last some time yet, and assuming decent maintenance and properly operating charging system.

When the battery in the '99 failed last fall, it was quick: it needed 2 jump starts in a week. But, there were no complaints about a battery that served for 13 years...in lake effect snow country, at that.
I am going to see how long I can push it. Looks like you certainly did well with yours. It's also kept in a garage. Never really any stress on it heat wise.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #34
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudycoop View Post
I've been considering. It just hasn't given me any reason to. I can't see any reason to replace something that works perfectly fine. I have jumper cables and AAA if it comes to that. I feel as if it will give some warning signs at least.
I've never seen a battery give warning signs. Usually they just fail to start that one time and you have to get a new one.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #35
zeus1

My Ride: E46
My BMW OEM battery lasted 5 years to the week before it started acting up.
I was jump starting the 330i on mornings it wouldn't start, then it was fine as
long as I drove it every day. If the car sat more than a day or two, I'd have to
jump start again.

So yes, batteries can show signs of their death. This one dropped 1 or 2 cells,
just enough so the battery wouldn't hold a charge above 12.2v (50% charge).

I replaced it today with a Walmart Everstart Maxx H7 (production date of 5/13) $124.99.
Fit like a glove without removing little white block. I looked for a 49DL battery first, but no
Autozone in my area had one newer than 9 months old.
zeus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #36
DMahoney

Autozoe has the Platnium H7 for e46.. Anybody have bad reviews? Or good?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #37
DMahoney

^duralast h7

Old 06-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #38
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Group 49 = DIN H8
Group 94R = DIN H7

The 49s have indeed disappeared from Walmart and Autozone, but the same batteries are still available albeit in European designation.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #39
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMahoney View Post
Autozoe has the Platnium H7 for e46.. Anybody have bad reviews? Or good?

got my eye on same battery

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...9458_729057_0_

AGM - should be good
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #40
BobW

My Ride: 2005 330ci
In over 25yrs owning BMW's I've bought 2 OEM batteries when the originals needed replacement. Why buy anything else? If they cost a little more, you'll forget about it a few weeks later.
BobW is offline   Reply With Quote