E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Lighting & Mobile Electronics (I.C.E.)

Lighting & Mobile Electronics (I.C.E.)
Xenon lighting, HID kits, fog lights, BMW head units, navigation, speakers, subwoofers, In Car Electronics (I.C.E.), carputers, DDEs, angle eyes, halos, LED tail lights, interior lighting, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
clemsone46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 31
My Ride: 2001 325i, 2005 ZHP
ZKW Burnt Headlight Bowl Replacements!

Hey all,

I have been plagued with the same issue that plagues every plastic bowl ZKW HID headlights for E46's. Because you cannot buy replacement bowls alone, the solutions currently for burnt bowls are either living with dim lights or retrofitting projectors. The retrofit is a good solution but involves cutting and irreversible modifications to the headlight housings. After much research and connections through work, I have found a solution.

I have acquired some extra bowls for testing and as is the common case, they are yellowed, cracked, and lack the "mirror finish" plating. The bowls are plastic welded to repair the crack damage and then re-plated correctly using the same methods to plate them from the manufacturers. Below is a series of pictures documenting and comparing the before and after. The results yielded the increased output of a brand new set of headlights.

Bowls before:




Bowls after:




Headlight output before:




Passenger side bowl replaced, drivers side original (notice light output increase and depth of beam):


Both bowls replaced:




Before and after:








I am going to be providing this service for any individuals interested. However, the lead time is lengthy if I don't have any completed so it will be just 2 or 3 individuals at a time. There will be an included core charge of $30 that will be refunded upon receiving your old bowls (this alleviates individuals having downtime on their cars). Bowls can be sent with or without the auto-leveling motors and shades, new bowls will be sent as requested with or without the shades (shades are an additional $15). The total price will be $240 + $30 core charge + shipping, $270 + shipping if no core provided. Shipping will be done using USPS flat rate boxing in the US ($12 + $3 insurance).

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Additionally, if someone cares to post this on ZHPmafia that would be great.

I HAVE 1 SET OF FINISHED BOWLS READY FOR SHIPMENT

Max

Last edited by clemsone46; 03-18-2014 at 06:04 AM.
clemsone46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Adamo99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 288
My Ride: 330Ci vert
This might sound like a stupid question, and hate to potentially crap on your thread- but if already going to the trouble of removing these bowls and sending them over to you, why wouldn't one just buy Hella Evox-R projectors as replacements, which are superior to the OEM items in every way, bolt right in, come with new bowls, and clear lenses- for $150/pair?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...products_id=92

Last edited by Adamo99; 06-04-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
DOT.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chatsworth, CA
Posts: 112
My Ride: '04 ZHP Sedan
^ I don't think Hella EvoX-R bolts right in....


OP, so you're plastic plating the bowls? So does the burn bowls eventually come back?
__________________


DOT. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
Adamo99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 288
My Ride: 330Ci vert
ZKW Burnt Headlight Bowl Replacements!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOT. View Post
^ I don't think Hella EvoX-R bolts right in....
Direct drop-in replacement for most Euro applications.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
vtn86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 146
My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
Direct drop-in replacement for most Euro applications.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I would confirm that before making the statement that they drop right in. If it were that easy, it makes me wonder why a bunch of people haven't done this

OP,
Looks like a good solution for people who don't care to retrofit. Good work!

Can you provide some output pictures at a distance? Disclosure: I'm not interested in this, but it would be beneficial to see actual output before and after.
__________________
Modify your car for a function and purpose, not just to follow the crowd.

Last edited by vtn86; 06-04-2013 at 01:34 PM.
vtn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
clemsone46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 31
My Ride: 2001 325i, 2005 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
This might sound like a stupid question, and hate to potentially crap on your thread- but if already going to the trouble of removing these bowls and sending them over to you, why wouldn't one just buy Hella Evox-R projectors as replacements, which are superior to the OEM items in every way, bolt right in, come with new bowls, and clear lenses- for $150/pair?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...products_id=92
I have not come across anything stating a direct bolt-in retrofit for this. I could be wrong though. I'm with others in saying that this wouldn't be such an issue if there was such an inexpensive direct bolt-in solution. That being said, I'm not trying to market a retrofit, I'm marketing an OEM solution that I know to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOT.
^ I don't think Hella EvoX-R bolts right in....


OP, so you're plastic plating the bowls? So does the burn bowls eventually come back?
Yes, the original bowls are being stripped and plated. It can be said that the bowls will eventually become burnt again. However, the top coat is urethane as opposed to a lacquer which is what is seen on the OEM coating. The urethane will make this a more robust solution.

Thanks for the questions thus far. I know this is new and I will answer any and all questions.

Max
clemsone46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 22,210
My Ride: 2002 330i
Did you take those pics without the RV shield installed?
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
clemsone46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 31
My Ride: 2001 325i, 2005 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtn86 View Post
I would confirm that before making the statement that they drop right in. If it were that easy, it makes me wonder why a bunch of people haven't done this

OP,
Looks like a good solution for people who don't care to retrofit. Good work!

Can you provide some output pictures at a distance? Disclosure: I'm not interested in this, but it would be beneficial to see actual output before and after.
I will get some pictures at a distance of the new bowls, however I cannot get "before" pictures at the same location and same distance as I don't have any burnt bowls installed. I was under the impression that the close-up shots showed a drastic enough difference.

Max
clemsone46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
clemsone46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 31
My Ride: 2001 325i, 2005 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Did you take those pics without the RV shield installed?
No, that is fully reassembled, RV shield included.

Max
clemsone46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
vtn86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 146
My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsone46 View Post
I will get some pictures at a distance of the new bowls, however I cannot get "before" pictures at the same location and same distance as I don't have any burnt bowls installed. I was under the impression that the close-up shots showed a drastic enough difference.

Max
That'll work too. I think a lot of us know what burnt bowls look like, it would just be interesting to see before and after. Thanks for your response.
__________________
Modify your car for a function and purpose, not just to follow the crowd.
vtn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
Chrsb5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 172
My Ride: 2004 330i
ZKW Burnt Headlight Bowl Replacements!

Are the Hella Evox-R a new product ?



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Chrsb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
vtn86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 146
My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrsb5 View Post
Are the Hella Evox-R a new product ?



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
No.
__________________
Modify your car for a function and purpose, not just to follow the crowd.
vtn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
Adamo99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 288
My Ride: 330Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtn86 View Post
If it were that easy, it makes me wonder why a bunch of people haven't done this
Me too - these are the same bolt locations as OEM Hella projectors- they drop right into the same mounting location and holes.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
clemsone46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 31
My Ride: 2001 325i, 2005 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
Me too - these are the same bolt locations as OEM Hella projectors- they drop right into the same mounting location and holes.
Please take this conversation elsewhere. You have already littered this with unnecessary comments.
Thanks
clemsone46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
jack.chris328
Modded ///Member
 
jack.chris328's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 98
My Ride: is a truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
Me too - these are the same bolt locations as OEM Hella projectors- they drop right into the same mounting location and holes.
You are answering your own question here.... Those are "Hella" replacements. These bowls are for ZKW lights. The mounting points are not the same.

OP - Great job. Those turned out nicely.
__________________
jack.chris328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #16
clemsone46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Clemson, SC
Posts: 31
My Ride: 2001 325i, 2005 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.chris328 View Post
You are answering your own question here.... Those are "Hella" replacements. These bowls are for ZKW lights. The mounting points are not the same.

OP - Great job. Those turned out nicely.
Thank you for the comments

Max
clemsone46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
Adamo99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 288
My Ride: 330Ci vert
OP, my apologies- EVOX-R does not bolt right into the e46 projectors. I also have an e39, and it bolts right into those, but not the e46.

That being said, you can buy a RetroQuick kit from TRS, just the projectors and brackets specifically machined for the e46, for $165.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=254
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #18
vtn86
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 146
My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
OP, my apologies- EVOX-R does not bolt right into the e46 projectors. I also have an e39, and it bolts right into those, but not the e46.

That being said, you can buy a RetroQuick kit from TRS, just the projectors and brackets specifically machined for the e46, for $165.
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=254
The OP is offering a fix for the OEM application. Essentially, it's the same amount of work as the RetroQuick kit you're advertising (for some reason on his sale thread), however, the OEM projectors will function better...unless they burn again. Those Morimoto projectors are pretty disappointing.
__________________
Modify your car for a function and purpose, not just to follow the crowd.
vtn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
dirtypinguin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 48
My Ride: 330i ZHP Sedan
That retroquick kit of which you speak of, it looks like it comes with the Hella EvoX-r projectors if you select the E46 variant of the kit.
dirtypinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #20
Adamo99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 288
My Ride: 330Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypinguin View Post
That retroquick kit of which you speak of, it looks like it comes with the Hella EvoX-r projectors if you select the E46 variant of the kit.
Yup. The extra $15 is for the brackets to mount to the e46 headlight assembly.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use