E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
ceilingcat

My Ride: 2005 M3
M3 requires new catalytic converts

Kind of sticker shock as I could be using that money for something else. My inspection 2 came back - was a jaw dropper: 7563.55

There is a laundry list of stuff, all of which I was well aware of - flush radiator, brakes, power steering, 4 wheel aligment plus the inspection 2 valve adjustment which required a bunch of shims, fuel tank sensor etc...

- however 57.5% of the bill is for the emissions garbage. Before anyone says to just remove it - I can't. Emissions are part of the vehicle inspection and you can't just go to some random shop pay the mechanic $100.00 to ignore the lack of emissions controls junk. Anyone know if the 15% ethanol gas plays into this? Cats that last 7 - 9 years are pretty lame.

Funny thing is - the car only has 55k miles on it now. I don't really feel anything atm. Probably the sticker shock still.
ceilingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Holy baby jesus that's a lot. How much of that was labor charge?
Old 06-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
ceilingcat

Not sure, I just gave authorization to do all the work. I imagine total labor charge is around 3000.00

Kind of a **** position to be in - no catalytic converts or throwing a code that says catalytic converters need to or should be replaced makes the car impossible to trade in, and difficult to sell.

Last edited by ceilingcat; 06-04-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
That's a lot of money. Did the shop give you the option to source used cats? I had a previous car that I wanted to sell in a few years so I had a shop source low mileage headers with cats for a rather than pay for new headers with new cats.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
See if you're still under the federal law which says mfg are responsible for warranty of cats and emission computer for 8yrs/80K. Your car is an '05 which would still be under emission warranty depending on which month it was first purchased. Also there was an emission recall to program the dme for certain year m3s, which if was done extends the catalytic warranty to 10yrs/unlimited miles.

One of my cats went out and the catalytic honeycomb material shrunk at 75k triggering the see light.

intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelone View Post
See if you're still under the federal law which says mfg are responsible for warranty of cats and emission computer for 8yrs/80K. Your car is an '05 which would still be under emission warranty depending on which month it was first purchased. Also there was an emission recall to program the dme for certain year m3s, which if was done extends the catalytic warranty to 10yrs/unlimited miles.

One of my cats went out and the catalytic honeycomb material shrunk at 75k triggering the see light.
werd. i thought it was 10yr/150k miles?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
intelone

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscoo2pyopants View Post
werd. i thought it was 10yr/150k miles?
Here's the same letter I had for my '02 when I went in for dme recall. There's even a letter that says for 2003-2006 affected vehicles, but I don't know if the cats warranty was extended to those cars.

Quote:
BMW will also extend the emissions warranty for the catalytic converter on your vehicle to 10 years / unlimited miles, and this warranty extension is transferable to any subsequent purchase of your car.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #8
intelone

Here's the one for 2003-2006 car. Advice to the OP is go to bmw and tell them about the federal 8yr/80k miles catalytic warranty. Act now, since 8 yrs is coming up quick for him, or is already over, but could try to persuade bmw to goodwill his cat if its the later scenario.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #9
tinman831

My Ride: M3
3k in labor? O M G!. For 1500, I will fly out there and perform all the maintenance for you. You could pay someone a helluva lot less that's local to you to perform your inspection 2 along with whatever problems came up. Do it yourself and buy catless headers and aftermarket section 1 with performance cats. Did you really sign off on 7k worth of work?
tinman831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #10
cold m3

My Ride: E46 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilingcat View Post
Not sure, I just gave authorization to do all the work. I imagine total labor charge is around 3000.00

Kind of a **** position to be in - no catalytic converts or throwing a code that says catalytic converters need to or should be replaced makes the car impossible to trade in, and difficult to sell.
your in a DIY position. man up. I would do the work for you and provide new cats for half that.

You could buy/install a lift in your house for that... SAD

Photos of My ///M3

Last edited by cold m3; 06-04-2013 at 09:20 PM.
cold m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
cold m3

My Ride: E46 ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
Did you really sign off on 7k worth of work?
Im with you. Such fail

Photos of My ///M3
cold m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #12
Taunto

My Ride: 05 CB M3 SMG
Re: M3 requires new catalytic converts

A look at after market headers may be a solution but from what ive read as the metalic race cats from companies like supersprint will not pass a emission test.

Finding used cats could be cheaper but how long will they last?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using BimmerApp mobile app
Taunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #13
ceilingcat

Thanks for the good info. I am taking this up with BMW N.A. I think the fact the emissions system needs to be replaced on a car not even 10 years old and not even at 60k miles is really bad. The chances of making me a return customer for a new M3 are zero based on this service experience. Of course the (dealer) is nice - I am paying the bill. I am going to bring up to BMW N.A. the fact that I will not purchase a new model M3 or any other BMW for that matter if I am being charged 10% of the original purchase price for an item that should last the life of the car.

For the people who suggest I just remove them, or DIY, herein lies the problem. I just don't have the time to do this kind of work. I can't put the car on a stand in my driveway - HOA police will be all over me - I already am on the poop list for playing 80's hair metal with my son's (engl head - marshall 1/2 stack, dw drum kit - get the picture?)
Old 06-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
Taunto

My Ride: 05 CB M3 SMG
Re: M3 requires new catalytic converts

A cat is not made to last the lifetime of the vehicle. Good luck with ur argument with bmw na

Sent from my SGH-I747M using BimmerApp mobile app
Taunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
OP, did they use lube or go raw-dog when they fcuked you?

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #16
tinman831

Any independent shop will charge 1/3 of what you are paying. You're getting ripped off. Cars are a wear item and need to be replaced, sometimes sooner tha later. Good luck pleading your case to BMW.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #17
ceilingcat

@ Sedan Hussein No, it was raw and nasty, now I have hemorrhoids.

I tried the indy route several years ago and got burned for work on a different car which caused the death of two people and put me in litigation for 2 1/2 years. I wrote all about it on pca.org.

BMW N.A. is considering....my request - for a good faith replacement i.e. they pay for the parts, I pay labor - I have purchased 4 other BMW's for what that is worth (not a whole lot I expect). The dealership is also considering my position. I am not holding my breath. I guess I know how the SMG people feel - lol. At least my wife's GL550 hasn't decided to implode...yet....

On the up side: At least I won't be causing global warming.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #18
Sedan Hussein

My Ride: e46
Quote:

I tried the indy route several years ago and got burned for work on a different car which caused the death of two people and put me in litigation for 2 1/2 years. I wrote all about it on pca.org.

BMW N.A. is considering....my request - for a good faith replacement i.e. they pay for the parts, I pay labor - I have purchased 4 other BMW's for what that is worth (not a whole lot I expect). The dealership is also considering my position. I am not holding my breath. I guess I know how the SMG people feel - lol. At least my wife's GL550 hasn't decided to implode...yet....

On the up side: At least I won't be causing global warming

I'm pulling for ya vs BMW N.A. Nobody likes dropping $7k

Sedan Hussein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
tinman831

Quote:

On the up side: At least I won't be causing global warming.
Please keep us updated. Hopefully BMW will treat you right.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #20
ceilingcat

For what it's worth - I did get some loving from BMW N.A. and from the dealership (aside from being buttt raped at no cost). Between the two they knocked 3000.00 off the bill. I am not going to complain. The bill total was 6944.38 - 3000.00 = 3944.38. I also got a free coffee cup, 'M' power shirt and a free hat.

The free hat is what did it for me, I mean....it's a free 'M' power hat.

Now I can feel better because I am not causing global warming...sure, what ever.