E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #21
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by new//M3fan View Post
Hmmm, how would you accomplish this?
I would have to figure out which regions of the flash the stock 0pa and 0das comprise of, then generate Intel-hex files of the appropriate regions from the Alpina dump.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #22
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
mistake

Last edited by daniel_f.; 06-07-2013 at 06:59 AM.
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #23
daniel_f.

Just for further reference:

BMW-Scanner is able to read the gearbox No need for soldering

Old 06-09-2013, 06:02 PM   #24
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
Just for further reference:

BMW-Scanner is able to read the gearbox No need for soldering
awesome. I'll never have an automatic, but I still would love to take a look at that binary!
Old 06-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Deleted forced shifting at ZF5HP19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahbaz99 View Post
How is that a good thing? lol, sounds painful
Yea....doesn't seem to be a good thing.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
always-there is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #26
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast View Post
Yea....doesn't seem to be a good thing.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Not really. In manual mode a transmission should only shift when you command it to. If you're at the limits of grip and the car changes gears mid turn, you'll likely crash.

BMW's SMG and DCT only shift when you tell them to, just like a performance transmission should.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 06-09-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #27
daniel_f.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
awesome. I'll never have an automatic, but I still would love to take a look at that binary!

the problem is, it can read the file, but unfortunally the bytes in the data section are twisted, so the whole read is useless until you figure out how they were twisted and what you can do to get them right.

it took me the whole weekend to rea-arrange them with massive workload in excel. So before i will upload the file, iīm flashing a few of my spare tcuīs and sell as "DF-Motorsport" Units

the maps themself have pretty steep changes no wonder as the torque converter snaps in pretty brutal

Last edited by daniel_f.; 06-10-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #28
TerraPhantm

I bet I can figure out how to arrange it I imagine you wouldn't have to worry about the first 0x70000 bytes since that's all boot-sector/program data anyway -- I would be surprised if Alpina bothered changing that. Do keep in mind that the actual B3 has a different torque converter. Not sure if the standard one is meant to take that abuse.

Edit: Are you sure the "twisted" data section isn't simply that meant for a different program version?

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 06-10-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:48 AM   #29
daniel_f.

i backtested the twist with a programmer read-out from a tcu with socketed flash vs. the bmw-scanner read from a known file, so i could see what bmw-scanner does.

an indeed, alpina even changed the data in row 0x00000

Old 06-10-2013, 03:52 AM   #30
TerraPhantm

^ that means they changed the boot sector. Might be impossible to flash via WinKFP then... Kind of like how the CSL DME is in comparison with the standard M3's DME. Don't know why they bothered doing that if the Alpina software isn't even included with the BMWs suites

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 06-10-2013 at 03:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #31
daniel_f.

I get a feeling that even if the flash is copied, the tcu doesnīt work. everytime i try the modified alpina flash, the tcu isnīt recognized at all. if i just change the flash to standart bmw bin, the tcu works flawless...

(edit)

i backtested to convert another bmw-scanner readout from a bmw own file and after the conversion the tcu worked. i then rechecked every step i did with the alpina readout and even recalculated everything in the layout i was using directly before with the bmw file and it didnīt worked again, limpmode .

so for now i donīt understand exactly why this happens, but i donīt see any chance to get a alpina tcu flash to work in an other bmw tcu.

i even wrote the alpina eeprom file from bmw-scanner over the bmw tcu but again, limpmode

right now iīm even more happy to have spend only 120$ on that tcu and for everyone else: try to get a flash from ESS or Dinan. that seems to be the only solution.

Last edited by daniel_f.; 06-10-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #32
TerraPhantm

Quote:
I get a feeling that even if the flash is copied, the tcu doesnīt work. everytime i try the modified alpina flash, the tcu isnīt recognized at all. if i just change the flash to standart bmw bin, the tcu works flawless...

(edit)

i backtested to convert another bmw-scanner readout from a bmw own file and after the conversion the tcu worked. i then rechecked every step i did with the alpina readout and even recalculated everything in the layout i was using directly before with the bmw file and it didnīt worked again, limpmode .

so for now i donīt understand exactly why this happens, but i donīt see any chance to get a alpina tcu flash to work in an other bmw tcu.

i even wrote the alpina eeprom file from bmw-scanner over the bmw tcu but again, limpmode

right now iīm even more happy to have spend only 120$ on that tcu and for everyone else: try to get a flash from ESS or Dinan. that seems to be the only solution.
Is it recognized by diagnostic software?

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 06-10-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #33
daniel_f.

the alpina unit itself, yes. the bmw unit itself, yes. the bmw unit with the corrected alpina reading, no. the bmw unit with the corrected bmw reading, yes.

Old 06-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #34
TerraPhantm

Hm. Must be some sort of hardware difference. Is there anything obvious on the PCB?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #35
daniel_f.

i havenīt opened to unit.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #36
daniel_f.

So, i opened pandoras box and didnīt find any visible differencies, despite that i compared it to an 2 years older tcu. some minor changes due to no longer available hardware components.

thats when i decided that there is only one way to figure out whats going on, so i took my hot air soldering station and with shuddering hands i unsoldered the flash. i took it onto the programmer and the flash was recognized working I read the dump and compared it to my modified bmw-scanner readout and in 32786 rows, there were 4 rows with differencies

I took one of my spare TCUīs, flashed the new file, put it in the car and...

working

now its time to delete the VIN in the flash and time for some

Old 06-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #37
TerraPhantm

Cool --

If you get a chance, can you post a picture of the board? I've never seen a GS8.60.4 board
Old 06-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #38
daniel_f.

Shure, no problem. i can even take photos of the different versions i found. so far i have found 3 different versions, but they are interchangeable.

whats really annoying is, the gearbox does no downshift at hill descent when braking i guess the alpina has much more engine brake power so its not necessary to downshift

Old 06-12-2013, 01:52 AM   #39
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Shure, no problem. i can even take photos of the different versions i found. so far i have found 3 different versions, but they are interchangeable.

whats really annoying is, the gearbox does no downshift at hill descent when braking i guess the alpina has much more engine brake power so its not necessary to downshift
That is odd. The B3 3.4 only has 10:1 compression, so I don't think it would have significantly more engine braking power than a 330.

Just get some paddle shifters and not worry about auto mode
Old 06-12-2013, 02:30 AM   #40
daniel_f.

indeed, the manual mode makes much more fun with the alpina unit.