E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.38 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
Barbaros

My Ride: 02 TIAG M5
Post ///Barbaros' Official Build Thread... late but fun!

Hey guys! I have waited far too long to post a build thread here. I have one in another forum and i thought about copying it here but picture links do not work so i took my time and wrote up everything all over. This is my life, i love modding my car and try and do things that was not done before. Yet, most of the stuff that i have done, did not feel right so i ended up looking like any other modded e46s out there but that's not a bad thing. I have done so many stupid mods and every time i think about them, i get disgusted I am gonna try to share those as much as i can. Hope you enjoy it. Here we go....

I bought it on 11/11/11(such a great day, I can't forget). I bought it from a a guy who was working for a dealership but pretending to be just an individual. I didn't like him. I was able to contact her first and only owner before this dealership, he was an older businessman in Rhode Island. He maintained the car so well that it was ridiculously mint! He didn't have wife or kids or pets. And as he told me, all these years no one ever sat on the back seats! It had 128k miles on it and I was able to but it for 5 grand although it was listed for 6. So I am feeling very lucky!

-The pic I saved from craigslist

-The first mod, of course %30 tints all around.

-Smoked side markers, license plate frames and stupid tow hook(what was I thinking)

-Worst mod ever!! Some ebay headlights. The story; well i was new to the new gen BMW's and all i know was my father's E30, which i never got to enjoy enough. I had been seeing Angel Eyes on BMW's for quite some time but did not have any idea about them. I should have made my search on the forum about AE's, rather than trying to find them on ebay! So i found these which I thought everyone have on their cars! I learned the hard way that these were not the ones that I was supposed to get, AE's were retrofitted to the stock headlights.

-I liked this trunk lip mod a lot!

-Pulled the trigger on both smoked corner/sidemarker lights and Weisslicht AE's!!

-Got BBS LM reps which made the car look pretty good but i hated the ride and quality!

18x8,5 Fronts

18x9 Rears

-Smoked LED tail lights!

-Plasti dipped the bumper trim due to the fading! I could have used Mother's back to black but it doesn't last long.

-How about an M3 style bumper?!

-Made my own license plate bracket out of the tow hook I could not stand.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1774715

-While doing sharpie mod and gauge rings, I found out that the previous owner who happens to be the dealership guy who i didn't like, cheated me! He covered the cluster lights such as check engine light, airbag, dsc etc etc etc

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1780878

-Plasti Dipped the kidney grill.

-Got an OEM roof rack and retrofitted yakima fairing on it. I haven't had the chance to carry my bikes or etc on it, so as i was guessing I bought the sucker just for the looks

t
*******>

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
Barbaros

...part 2

-Remus exhaust installed! Disappointed with the sound, I would like sth more grawly. It sounds like a stock ZHP lol

- Vanos done! Lots of fun!

-V 1 (valentine one) radar detector, can't go wrong with that lol. I actually sold this one to a guy and soon afterwards he blew his motor! Then I bought another of course!

-Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance of course. uohh and i plasti dipped my stock wheels just for fun for a little while

-Eurofest was the first car meet i attended. Met Solidjake aka Jake there. I won the raffle prize Paul Miller BMW interior trim wrap. They did an awesome job! I loved it!

So all this was done about in 4 months. The rest is on the way...
*******>
Old 06-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
Barbaros

...part 3

-I took a long ride to pick up some goodies from a guy who just sold his E46, he had tons of stuff, including black dashboard and door panels and etc. I was gonna go get them later for my interior project but the guy sold them pretty quick. Scored a hood bra though. I used it about 2 times lol

*******>

- Painted my high beams for a meaner look. Terrible light output but it looks pretty good. I never got to use my high beams, so it's all fine. New York city is bright enough anyway lol

- Made my own bumper lip!!! Cost me about $25 (Home Depot - "More Saving, More Doing" ) It took me about 10 mins to prep and install. Pretty cool, cheap mod and it will apply to any bumper. Plus it protects your bumper, you never scrape it! I knew it was gonna satisfy me until i pulled the trigger on a lip!

- I know it sounds pretty crazy plastidipping a car!! but ohh well, i did it and here is the story. I was going to black out my chrome window trim. I masked it and applied it pretty well, but when i pulled the masking out, i don't know how it happened but apparently i saw that the body got plastidipped as well. So i got pissed and said f it!, and sprayed it all over the car. When it dried it looked pretty cool so i peeled it off and masked the whole car again and plastidipped it lol! Here are some pics...

*******>

-Ohh my! What's is in this mail?

*******>

-I was bored and I plastidipped stripes on my hood I actually liked it, but i peeled it off. It was just for fun. As for anyone who wants to do this, make sure you mask the whole hood and the fender because this plasti dip spray can shoot out of the aim sometime. If it does, it is easy to clean but anyway you don't need that.... Only do one wet coat and remove the masking ASAP when it is wet, otherwise it dries quick and your stripes will be ripped when you remove the masking. All this can be done in max 10 mins! HEY! Haters are gonna hate but shut up!

*******>
Old 06-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
Barbaros

...part 4

-Made another license plate bracket. This time total cost: $4,40! Much better than spending $100 on a tow hook license plate bracket! Anybody want to know how i did it, just PM me.

*******>

-Got the coilovers on! Installing them took about 1,5 hour since we had the lift and all the proper tools needed for it. I was actually surprised that it was very easy. All done, dropped the car off the lift and the height looked pretty fine except fronts were a little higher than i wanted but i went ahead and chose not to adjust them and started driving. So.... having high offset wheels, the inner side of the front rims were rubbing the coilover perches very badly! I drove the car like that about two blocks and that scraping noise scared to hell outta me so i had to stop. I was pretty much sure if i put some spacers it would clear it out, so since i was literally out stuck on the road i called a friend of mine for help to find someone who sells them. He found a guy on craigslist who s selling his 20mm wheel spacers. He was such a nice guy, he came to me and helped me put them on too. I ran to a wheel shop and got longer bolts but they are too long and now this time they were scraping the heat shield on the back!! Then i went to home depot as luckily i was parked out on the street right next to it and grabbed a ton of washers and put the bolts on with the washers as a temporary solution, and this solved the problem. I also made an appointment at a Tuning Shop to get the proper adjustments and alignment. Well it cost me about a couple hundreds but that's ok, i would rather be better safe than sorry!

By the way i didnt know we had Alpine amp stock! wow!

Stuck!

*******>

-Got 20mm H&R TRAK+ wheel spacers in the mail! Now i could dump the regular 20mm H&R spacers since i kept messing trying to find proper size bolts! First time trying ECS out! Priceyyy shipping but super fast!

*******>
Old 06-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
Barbaros

...part 5

-Laguna Seca Blue Color Conversion with Glossy Black Roof!

Shadowline trim, side mirror frames, B pillars, hood vent, kidney grilles are painted in glossy black as well.

Engine bay is left alone because an engine swap is on the way. Will take care of that along with the swap.

Wrapped the headlight bezel in vinyl leather.

Sold the LM reps. Plastidipped the faces because the buyer requested. I actually liked how they came out lol!

dat fitment btw!!

Used these ugly ass 16" wheels until i got some nice set of wheels. They are so ugly that i thought platidipping them would make them look nicer. I actually kept using these even after i get new wheels because they perform great and will make perfect winter wheels.

Picked up an M3 cluster. I normally would not do this but the swap is so close, so why not! Ohh btw excuse the Christmas tree caused by the bad wheel speed sensor and left turn signal socket. They are all sorted out now.

Drove out to NH for Bavarian Motorsport Car Show. It was so much fun!

///M colors FTW!!

and a little photo shoot on the way back home...

Test fitment of the Vorsteiner lip. I might either go for this or get a CSL style bumper and install an AC Schnitzer lip. We'll see...

*******>

-Got yellow bulbs for the high beams and fogs.

*******>

-Style 40s!! My buddy had real hard time finding these. He had to buy them one by one to complete the set. He ended up buying 6 wheels at the end. Got them professionally powdercoated in mirror white, used them about 4 weeks and got bored of them. These wheels were actually his longest lasting wheels lol, he is a true wheel whore The car and the wheels are extremely dirty due to this hurricane and snow storm we had in NYC recently. (pictures were taken soon after the wheels were put on..this is a build thread, you gotta be accurate lol)

*******>
Old 06-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
Barbaros

...part 6

-Finally did the projector retrofit.  I couldn't get the shroud to fit around the projectors. It's all good now

*******>

The End

*******>

-Scored a tri-color stitch leather M3 steering wheel from a part out. Phoenix Yellow/Black 04 M3, it is being parted out due to excessive frame damage. The car, in&out in perfect codition. I should have taken the seats as well!

*******>

-Out of nowhere i started hearing this horrible clunking noise passenger rear wheel every time i went over a bump and the wheel looked like it was gonna pop out and here is what i found....

So these shock mounts(Meyle HD) were replaced about 5 months ago. I have heard they had 4 year warranty but i could not remember where i bought them from so i could contact and ask for replacements. So i decided to contact Meyle itself and ask them "what's up? How would they go bad in such a little amount of time? My stock ones were still fine over 100k miles." Anyway, the guy who took care of me named "Robert A. Castro" (Technical Support USA/Canada) was such a nice person and he sent me set of new shock mounts the very next day. After i took care of this issue, I have finally had the chance to mount the shrouds for the headlight projectors and install a new set of AEs. I also scored a brand new Hamann M3 bumper lip on craigslist. I had my doubts that it would not fit since i have a replica bumper, and i was right.... It does not fit. So i had to get rid of it!

Much easier to work on engine bay with this LED bar now...

My stormtroopers helping me out lol

*******>
Old 06-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
Barbaros

...part 7

-I have traded my other V1 for a Dinan intake. It's actually for a 330 but making it fit was very easy. Just had to cut inserts at the bottom of the box and voila... But I learned the hard way!! I installed it in minutes and thought it fit perfectly and just slammed the hood... it didn't wanna close, so i forced it and got it to close but then i realized the box was too up high and the hood stuck out for about an inch and a half! Tried popping the hood... no luck, it got jammed! So i looked into threads that goes "My hood got stuck closed! What do i do?" Then the answer was to either remove(break) the kidney grills and unscrew the latches or cut them using a hacksaw! There was no way to reach the screws from that tight space so i decided to cut the latches. That was taking forever so i gave up and tried forcing the hood to open by hand. Anddd voila... it worked! The intake sounds awesome, especially at higher RPMs. I can't really tell if any HP gains but definitely feeling a better throttle response.

Also i got rid of the bee sting! Loving the E90 Shark Fin! Installation was very easy as well, just unscrew the bee sting, push the wires inside, seal the hole just in case, the shark fin comes with double sided tape so align it nicely and done!

*******>

-Inspection time! They couldn't get the car up on the ramp lift (too low lol) so they performed the inspection outside.

-Got a CSL CF boot lid and painted it without testing it out! It turns out that they sent me the one for the coupe. Thank God i was able to sell it and pretty much got my money back.

CSL bumper lip!!!

*******>

Installation was a great hassle, do not recommend it at all if you are not the patient type and has no skills.(for the replica bumper) Had the cut the hell out it to make it fit good. Ohh and i figured i need new rear tires.

*******>
Old 06-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #8
Barbaros

...part 8

-Had a little fun

-I have gone a little more creative with the splatter paint and did my roof rack too. This time, i sprayed it with clear coat to make it durable since it's outside the car lol. Here is a couple pictures of the process.

-I had to cut the helper springs of the coilovers since I had no more threads left to go lower on the fronts. I could have simply just taken them off but i decided that i would get rid of just the half of the helper springs to get the perfect drop.

andddd voila!

it's actually lower than this, i was probably on the throttle lol
Old 06-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
///Barbaros' Official Build Thread... late but fun!

Great work man, love it!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #10
Barbaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBizzo88 View Post
Great work man, love it!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Thank you! I have so much more stuff that i have done and reversed but i'm too shy to post lol
Old 06-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #11
Yayo330

My Ride: AW330ci
Love what you've done with the trim. Also the LSB on AW combo
Old 06-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #12
THECLEANERBEAMER

My Ride: 2002 325i
Love your car man!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #13
BBBoy323i
All show no go!

My Ride: 2000 323i Black/Gray
Finally, love your car man Just a quick question on the last couple interior shots, what's up with your shifter?

Last edited by BBBoy323i; 06-05-2013 at 02:59 AM.
BBBoy323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:10 AM   #14
AfghanScarface

My Ride: Debadged M3
Send a message via AIM to AfghanScarface
Holy goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer4Lyfe View Post
Either pursue her and risk getting Mono, or don't pursue her,...stay home and use your Mano.

It's either Mono or Mano .... You decide
AfghanScarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #15
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
wow. as much as i want to hate it, i really don't. great car dude! i can't say i'm a huge fan of the stanced wheels. personally i'd like to see the m parallels painted white with some meaty tires on them. everything else is spot on though. really unique. good job!
Old 06-05-2013, 04:43 AM   #16
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
what kind of angel eyes are the gold ones?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #17
Barbaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayo330 View Post
Love what you've done with the trim. Also the LSB on AW combo
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECLEANERBEAMER View Post
Love your car man!
Thank you! and i do yours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBoy323i View Post
Finally, love your car man Just a quick question on the last couple interior shots, what's up with your shifter?

lol thanks! That's an unfinished project with my shifter actually, i have cut the PRND on the base and turned it into a manual looking shifter I couldn't fit the boot properly so i ordered a manual shift boot. I will update that mod soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfghanScarface View Post
Holy goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
wow. as much as i want to hate it, i really don't. great car dude! i can't say i'm a huge fan of the stanced wheels. personally i'd like to see the m parallels painted white with some meaty tires on them. everything else is spot on though. really unique. good job!
haha thank you! I am too much into this stance crap and they were just the right wheels for it, so i went ahead I can actually do that too but i am gonna need reps since they never made the m parellels in 18". 19" with meaty tires would make the car look like an SUV no matter what i do with them. But that's a great idea and will sure do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
what kind of angel eyes are the gold ones?

They are I believe the Predator Chromiums CCFL's. Got them from a forum member. Umnitza should have them. They also have the cheaper version of them on eBay for like 40 bucks and many of my friends went for them. It's up to you, your car, your fire
Old 06-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #18
330xIce

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Send a message via AIM to 330xIce
Cant believe you havent made a build thread until now!

Follow Me On Instagram: JamesMarshall_E46

///My Progress Thread - How To Set a Signature - Black Sedans FTMFW
-James-
330xIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #19
domcreates
Banned User

My Ride: Jet Black 1999 323i
yes. where did you get the csl lip from btw? do you have any pictures of what you had to cut? Think you ever might get a more aggressive rear bumper?
domcreates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #20
Barbaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
Cant believe you havent made a build thread until now!
yeah man, it was a pain in the butt so i skipped a lot of stuff lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by domcreates View Post
yes. where did you get the csl lip from btw? do you have any pictures of what you had to cut? Think you ever might get a more aggressive rear bumper?
DDM tuning. Like i said i would not recommend it if you are gonna about the fitment and try to contact and blame the vendor. But it is possible, i think that's all the pictures i have, you have to lean it against the bumper and see where it touches and causes a gap... then shave those with dremel. No matter how much you shave this thing, you still have to push the f out of it against the bumper and drill/screw it at the bottom of the bumper. I think i am gonna go dual catback with an M3 rear bumper. Because i'm gonna do the motor swap soon and don't want to have to redo the exhaust setup.

Tags
328i, build thread, lsb, showroom, stance