E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 01:57 AM   #1
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Trashcans thread about lifting sh!t (title revised)

It's been about 9 months since I've gotten back into going to the gym. In these last 9 months I've put on (as of now) 34 pounds. I'm still making pretty reasonable gains. Everything I've read says you shouldn't expect more than 20-25 pounds for your first year if you train well. If things continue to progress well, it's looking like i could hit upwards of a 40-45 pound gain in 1 year. (i started back at the gym 1.5-2 months after i saw my doctor for my motorcycle accident. Sometime this week I'm going to get the exact date of that appointment to confirm my time frame).

I was originally at 138 when i started going to the gym and am now at 172.

A sample of what my schedule is generally like:

Monday through Thursday:
9:45am wake up, cook dinner, eat breakfast, get ready
11 am arrive at gym
12:30pm leave gym for work
12:45 eat
1pm-1 or 2am work (somewhat physically demanding)
Then home, snack, and straight to bed
Rinse and repeat.

I take like 10 minutes at 4pm and 10pm for a snack and take an hour to eat at around 6.

Friday-Saturday:
I generally spend 3+ hours at the gym since i have off. The rest of the day is not generally physically demanding.

Sunday:
Sometimes rest, sometimes another 3+ hour workout all depending how I'm feeling.

-i almost always get over 12 hours a week in at the gym (all very high intensity training) and it's nothing uncommon to exceed 16 hours a week.
-usually have 2 double scoop protein shakes a day (breakfast and post workout)
-I'm not prefect anymore but maintain about 80-90% non processed food diet
-my snacks are usually just meat (about 1/3 pound)
-post workout meal is about 1 pound of meat plus either potatoes or bread for carbs

Supplements:
On protein
On micronized creatine (1 serving daily with post workout meal)

-I was in powerlifting in highschool
-i try to completely change my workouts every 3-4 weeks to keep my body confused, often times i will fade between workout transitions though (if you understand) keeping it almost constantly different.
-my gains in weight have been almost all lean muscle (as some members know from pictures I've posted)

Hopefully that's enough information, but you still cared to read. Curious of anything else? Feel free to ask.

So, am i some generic freak that got lucky, or is my determination, plan and amount of effort that different from the average person?

Last edited by Trashcan; 12-17-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Trashcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #2
ramtin325i

My Ride: 2002 325i
Old 06-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #3
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
how do you feel? I tried your workout schedule before and end up feeling drained and shitty for a lot of my life. A local body guru said I was definitely overtraining and I need to cut it down to 90 minutes max for each session. I feel a lot better and see better gains just because of better rest. Your call though. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.
"You makes me sick" officer responds, "So worried about your BMW; but don't even notice your left arm is missing?"
"OMG.." lawyer replies. "Where's my Rolex?"
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
sounds to me like:

A) your diet is on point
B) your discipline is there
C) you have dedication & consistency for both training and eating to support it

everyone can achieve that, but few do. good job on that point

now, the amount of time you spend in the gym (and I believe you also work manual labor?) means you have a well above average recovery rate in my opinion... which is definitely genetic. Like Rotha said, I would crash and burn on your amount of volume... no question.

So it makes sense to me you could add a significant amount of muscle in a much shorter time frame, due to your bodies ability to recover from it much faster. I wouldn't say you are a "freak" (google Herschel Walker etc). but you definitely seem to have a way above average recovery rate, and should consider yourself lucky.

But being able to recover faster than others doesn't mean jack if you aren't training to stimulate it + eating properly to help recover from it, so kudos for sticking with proper nutrition/training schemes. (some are even luckier and can train stupid, eat whatever, and still see massive results though).
Old 06-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
I get yelled at when I say genetics so I'll just say this. It's the bear meat.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
Re: Am i a freak or am i just working harder than most?

It may also be from your starting position physically. When i was 17 i weighed around your starting weight and could barely bench 45 bar 15 times. After a year of training i was 155 and benching 225 multiple times. I had a skinny frame and built to average frame. But i was playing football and not dieting, I'm not sure there was such a thing then. I was. running A LOT then with football and did not put on a. ton of weight but put on almost entirely muscle and lost what little bfi i had to begin with. Then the second year of heavy training for college football i gained close to 50 lbs but not nearly as much running. Mainly weight training, creatine and eating and drinking beer. I gained about the same muscle mass but my bfi went up double. I have maintained that weight to today, despite bad eating habits and more drinking, but my bfi has only gone up maybe additional .5x my freshman level and i am still in good health. Not sure if this helps, but the fact that i don't have health problems currently and haven't gained weight doesn't make me a genetic freak. I would say that training around 17-18 helps set a physical table that continues to benefit you later in life even if you cannot manage the same training as before.

Sent from my LG-MS870 using BimmerApp mobile app

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Am i a freak or am i just working harder than most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
It's been about 9 months since I've gotten back into going to the gym. In these last 9 months I've put on (as of now) 34 pounds. I'm still making pretty reasonable gains. Everything I've read says you shouldn't expect more than 20-25 pounds for your first year if you train well. If things continue to progress well, it's looking like i could hit upwards of a 40-45 pound gain in 1 year. (i started back at the gym 1.5-2 months after i saw my doctor for my motorcycle accident. Sometime this week I'm going to get the exact date of that appointment to confirm my time frame).

I was originally at 138 when i started going to the gym and am now at 172.

A sample of what my schedule is generally like:

Monday through Thursday:
9:45am wake up, cook dinner, eat breakfast, get ready
11 am arrive at gym
12:30pm leave gym for work
12:45 eat
1pm-1 or 2am work (somewhat physically demanding)
Then home, snack, and straight to bed
Rinse and repeat.

I take like 10 minutes at 4pm and 10pm for a snack and take an hour to eat at around 6.

Friday-Saturday:
I generally spend 3+ hours at the gym since i have off. The rest of the day is not generally physically demanding.

Sunday:
Sometimes rest, sometimes another 3+ hour workout all depending how I'm feeling.

-i almost always get over 12 hours a week in at the gym (all very high intensity training) and it's nothing uncommon to exceed 16 hours a week.
-usually have 2 double scoop protein shakes a day (breakfast and post workout)
-I'm not prefect anymore but maintain about 80-90% non processed food diet
-my snacks are usually just meat (about 1/3 pound)
-post workout meal is about 1 pound of meat plus either potatoes or bread for carbs

Supplements:
On protein
On micronized creatine (1 serving daily with post workout meal)

-I was in powerlifting in highschool
-i try to completely change my workouts every 3-4 weeks to keep my body confused, often times i will fade between workout transitions though (if you understand) keeping it almost constantly different.
-my gains in weight have been almost all lean muscle (as some members know from pictures I've posted)

Hopefully that's enough information, but you still cared to read. Curious of anything else? Feel free to ask.

So, am i some generic freak that got lucky, or is my determination, plan and amount of effort that different from the average person?
Eh IMO it's nothing unheard of, you were 130 lbs before, that's pretty light, so putting on 35 or however much pounds in a year. Just depends on the person. You could do a dirty bulk and put on 50 lbs if you really wanted, or do a super clean and get 15-20 of silid mass. However, you are doing a good job. Genetics will always help the right person.

It took me about a year and half to go from 130 to 180, with some small injuries in between, and then a half year to put on 10 lbs of solid mass and completely change my body.

Also depends on what activities you do. If you're a long distance runner, good luck, but if you don't run or do cardio, it's easier.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by BMW_Matt; 06-05-2013 at 09:59 AM.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
what has your strength progression been like? I think that is more telling than weight on the scale
Old 06-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
what has your strength progression been like? I think that is more telling than weight on the scale
I workout more of a bodybuilding style, rather than powerlifting so I'm not sure if that effects my numbers a bit (not reaching full potential).

At start my bench max was about 185. Now I'm maxing at 275-285. Tbh i started squatting and dead lifting so late I'm not sure what they initially were, but i do know i wasn't even getting up to 225 on my squat to start (probably around 185 also). Now my squat max is getting close to 315 and I'm hoping to land it soon. My dead lift was started much later after considerable progress into leg and back development. When i first maxed it was 315, but at the time i first started lifting i don't think it would have been much past 225. When I'm comfortable with my back being healed now I'm hoping to land close to 400.

Still that's a solid 100+ pounds a top each lift. They're not that impressive of lifts alone, but the progression has been damn solid.

Last edited by Trashcan; 06-05-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Not sure if this has been asked, but how old are you?

I put on a lot of size and weight in my early 20's in about a years time. I went from about 155 lbs to about 195 lbs. some of it was from working out, some of it we just my body growing and maturing.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
Trashcan

Old 06-05-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
Like I said above it could just be your body maturing.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #13
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i

Dedication... Great work man! Sounds like some awesome gains!

I too put on similar weight back when I was about 23. Spent 2 hrs in the gym 4-5 days a week, hitting every body part twice a week. I ate everything in sight. I went from 130 to 200 in about 24 months and kept my body fat % at around 10.

In contrast, I'm now 34. Spend no more than 45min 3x a week lifting weights and I'm about 70% stronger than I was back then, but I only weigh 170lbs now.

Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
Trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezy321 View Post
Dedication... Great work man! Sounds like some awesome gains!

I too put on similar weight back when I was about 23. Spent 2 hrs in the gym 4-5 days a week, hitting every body part twice a week. I ate everything in sight. I went from 130 to 200 in about 24 months and kept my body fat % at around 10.

In contrast, I'm now 34. Spend no more than 45min 3x a week lifting weights and I'm about 70% stronger than I was back then, but I only weigh 170lbs now.

Thanks. I can't even imagine 70% stronger....
Old 06-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
Trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Like I said above it could just be your body maturing.
Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotha View Post
how do you feel? I tried your workout schedule before and end up feeling drained and shitty for a lot of my life. A local body guru said I was definitely overtraining and I need to cut it down to 90 minutes max for each session. I feel a lot better and see better gains just because of better rest. Your call though. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Well, when i wake up every day after my 6ish hours of sleep, pretty damn drained, but after moving around for about 20 minutes getting ready i feel amazing. Other than my lower back injury that's in progress of healing now, i have no issues.

Occasionally on weekends though if i sit down by myself, I'll blink to find out I've been asleep an hour, even though i was never tired. This seems to only happen on rare instances that I'm not busy for a while ahead though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post

I'm almost out... Do you think I'll lose all my gains then?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Eh IMO it's nothing unheard of, you were 130 lbs before, that's pretty light, so putting on 35 or however much pounds in a year. Just depends on the person. You could do a dirty bulk and put on 50 lbs if you really wanted, or do a super clean and get 15-20 of silid mass. However, you are doing a good job. Genetics will always help the right person.

It took me about a year and half to go from 130 to 180, with some small injuries in between, and then a half year to put on 10 lbs of solid mass and completely change my body.

Also depends on what activities you do. If you're a long distance runner, good luck, but if you don't run or do cardio, it's easier.

Once i cut out the cardio (was running like 15 miles a week for a while) the gains just packed on. Although my abs aren't quite as fantastic as they were then.... I'll get them back in a week or 2 though if the weather ever warms up.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #16
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I remember I went from 135 to 165 pretty quickly when I was a senior in high school to a couple years after. The jump from 170 to 195 was difficult, now I'm cutting and I'm 180-185, plan on cutting to 175 and hopefully will be close to a "contest ready" body minus the final water weight cut. The first year for a lot of people is great, because of the lifestyle and diet change, but gaining clean muscle is difficult after once you age. Those pounds you are gaining are not all muscle. I hate when people say they gained "40 pounds of raw muscle" in a year and look soft with no abdominal definition.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #17
Trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DILLA View Post
I remember I went from 135 to 165 pretty quickly when I was a senior in high school to a couple years after. The jump from 170 to 195 was difficult, now I'm cutting and I'm 180-185, plan on cutting to 175 and hopefully will be close to a "contest ready" body minus the final water weight cut. The first year for a lot of people is great, because of the lifestyle and diet change, but gaining clean muscle is difficult after once you age. Those pounds you are gaining are not all muscle. I hate when people say they gained "40 pounds of raw muscle" in a year and look soft with no abdominal definition.
Getting ready to go out. Do i look "soft"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1370665502610.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	509855  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #18
Trashcan

I do understand what you're saying though, I've noticed gains to be more difficult now, and yes i have gained a little fluff, but it's been very minimal.

Tbh though at least 32+ pounds of my 35 pounds of gain have been solid lean muscle. I still have the 6 pack, although it's not the epic pack it once was.

Don't mean to be offensive but your post sounded like it was doubting my claims...
Old 06-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #19
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
I wasn't meaning to take away from your hard work, no doubt you've worked hard for your gains! I was just saying I hear too often people gaining 40 pounds quickly and saying its all muscle.

Really? Without gear? Ok..

I'm not trying to disappoint or disrespect you would be suprised how much fat you can gain and how easily your body gains fat. I went down the same path thinking I was gaining "all muscle" until I finally stopped with the bro science and noticed my abs disappearing and turning into a fat POS, not saying you are there at all, luckily I stopped myself before I got there. For average men, 1 inch gain in the waist is about 5 pounds of fat gained, my waist size went up 3 inches, doesn't seem like much but 10-15 pounds of fat is a lot, so much for those 40pounds of lean muscle.. Again I'm not doubting your gains, keep up the good work, just remember to not focus so much on the scale, it can really mess with your head. it's all about how you want to look and feel!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #20
stevenluczynski

My Ride: Is Steel Blue<3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
+1