E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #241
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
This is a beautiful post. Everyone on this forum should see it.

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #242
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Re: Am i a freak or am i just working harder than most?

This sounds like a quality approach. I'll give this a go on incline today along with my back work and possibly another upper chest movement similarly structured depending how fatigued the muscle is.
Trashcan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #243
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Am i a freak or am i just working harder than most?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
This sounds like a quality approach. I'll give this a go on incline today along with my back work and possibly another upper chest movement similarly structured depending how fatigued the muscle is.
I remember you telling someone just a few days ago not to do sets across. Now you're ok with it? This is the whole 3x5 mentality a lot of us like around here. Obviously we warm up to these amounts.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #244
Trashcan

You're really gonna give me a hard time for being open minded and giving it a try? What do you want from me solly?
Old 11-27-2013, 07:26 PM   #245
DylloS

Quote:
You're really gonna give me a hard time for being open minded and giving it a try? What do you want from me solly?
Lol I'm not. I'm just curious why a few days ago you were against it but now you like it. You know I love you man haha

Old 11-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #246
Trashcan

I enjoy my progressive sets. It feels right and in my mind it makes perfect sense. How a 3x5 with a constant weight looks on paper, and how i perceive it compared to my usual training style, it just seems like there's a good chunk of wasted energy. But the way the theory behind it was explained in detail, it makes sense.

I tried it today and made the Marjory of my routine based on the same idea. It's weird for me on the first 2 real sets, because i do have a bit left and would normally work until a bit more of a burn, but the last 2 sets hit me well.

Will every workout of mine follow this form now? Definitely not, but this style workout will become a regular part for me and i will likely focus on training this way for a while.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:20 AM   #247
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:
I enjoy my progressive sets. It feels right and in my mind it makes perfect sense. How a 3x5 with a constant weight looks on paper, and how i perceive it compared to my usual training style, it just seems like there's a good chunk of wasted energy. But the way the theory behind it was explained in detail, it makes sense.

I tried it today and made the Marjory of my routine based on the same idea. It's weird for me on the first 2 real sets, because i do have a bit left and would normally work until a bit more of a burn, but the last 2 sets hit me well.

Will every workout of mine follow this form now? Definitely not, but this style workout will become a regular part for me and i will likely focus on training this way for a while.
Now you're talking with constructive criticism. Make sure you know the weights you want to use that correspond with YOUR true percentages.

ie:
100% - 1
95% - 1-2
90% - 2-3
85% - 3-4
80% - 4-6
75% - 6-8
...etc

If you figure out your exact weights, you shouldn't have too much left on the first couple of sets. I tend to go much higher volume then I explained in my examples, they were just very generic examples to prove a point. Depending on the day, I may hit my 90% on a certain compound lift for 8-12 sets.

Lets put it this way, from your example above you said you like your progressive sets because you feel like you dont have much left each set, like training to failure on every set. But that is not always a good approach to have.

ex: You can do 100 push ups at your bodyweight. That may create a huge burn and not leave you with much left (depending on your muscular endurance) but compare that to chest pressing (x) amount of weight for 8 reps x (x) amount of sets, which created more muscle fiber damage? which created the most hypertrophy? The one with the higher load did even if you felt like you still may have had some left in you at the end. There is a big difference between muscular endurance and creating thick muscle fibers through hypertrophy.

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #248
Trashcan

This is from a couple days ago coming in at 199 lbs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1385948408985.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	536827  
Old 12-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #249
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
Put your hand to the outside so your whole body shows up in the shot. You can take a pic using the side buttons on your phone, does not have to be the button on the touch screen.

Good progress. If you get leaner you'll look very good.
z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #250
Trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
Put your hand to the outside so your whole body shows up in the shot. You can take a pic using the side buttons on your phone, does not have to be the button on the touch screen.

Good progress. If you get leaner you'll look very good.
My phone doesn't work that way. And thanks, I'm bulking and will likely maintain roughly this fat percentage throughout the next several months while i gain.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #251
Trashcan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bAby norAA View Post
Now you're talking with constructive criticism. Make sure you know the weights you want to use that correspond with YOUR true percentages.

ie:
100% - 1
95% - 1-2
90% - 2-3
85% - 3-4
80% - 4-6
75% - 6-8
...etc

If you figure out your exact weights, you shouldn't have too much left on the first couple of sets. I tend to go much higher volume then I explained in my examples, they were just very generic examples to prove a point. Depending on the day, I may hit my 90% on a certain compound lift for 8-12 sets.

Lets put it this way, from your example above you said you like your progressive sets because you feel like you dont have much left each set, like training to failure on every set. But that is not always a good approach to have.

ex: You can do 100 push ups at your bodyweight. That may create a huge burn and not leave you with much left (depending on your muscular endurance) but compare that to chest pressing (x) amount of weight for 8 reps x (x) amount of sets, which created more muscle fiber damage? which created the most hypertrophy? The one with the higher load did even if you felt like you still may have had some left in you at the end. There is a big difference between muscular endurance and creating thick muscle fibers through hypertrophy.
Training that heavy, what kind of length breaks are you taking between sets generally? Do you like to move somewhat quickly, or do you wait until the muscle is recovered before another set?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #252
DylloS

Quote:
Training that heavy, what kind of length breaks are you taking between sets generally? Do you like to move somewhat quickly, or do you wait until the muscle is recovered before another set?
I don't want to butt in but everything I've read said the rest between very heavy sets is usually 3-5 min but really whatever it takes you to recover to accomplish the next set.

So if I'm squatting heavy and I'm doing sets of 3 or something I'm not going to go again unless I feel good enough to hit those reps.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #253
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
Quote:
I guess for me that depends on the load I'm using that day. If I'm hitting singles at a weight that is near maximal, I may take a little longer so I make sure I can get every set in that i planned. I'm not one who times my rest periods, I more so feel out how my body feels that day as my rest period

| VF Supercharged Stage 1.5| Southbend Stage 2 Clutch | ZHP Cams | Technik Headers |
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #254
DylloS

Quote:
big. Awesome progress
Old 12-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #255
Trashcan

Quote:
big. Awesome progress
Thanks man! It's been a journey filled with lots of grunts
Old 12-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #256
DylloS

Quote:
Thanks man! It's been a journey filled with lots of grunts
I weighed 1lb less on friday morning. I bought about 14lbs of meat, 2 boxes of brown rice, and 5lbs of potatoes for this week. I'm probably going to do a shot of olive oil after dinner hahah

Last edited by DylloS; 12-02-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #257
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
Quote:
Keep up the good work.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #258
Trashcan

Quote:
I weighed 1lb less on friday morning. I bought about 14lbs of meat, 2 boxes of brown rice, and 5lbs of potatoes for this week. I'm probably going to do a shot of olive oil after dinner hahah
1 lb less than me or less than your usual?

That's a good weeks worth of food man. Welcome to the "i hate every meal" club, lol.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #259
DylloS

Quote:
1 lb less than me or less than your usual?

That's a good weeks worth of food man. Welcome to the "i hate every meal" club, lol.
1lb less than I was. I saw 184 and was like sh1t! I need to cut the sh1t with the drinking and keep it to special occasions instead of celebrating every weekend lol.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #260
Trashcan

Quote:
1lb less than I was. I saw 184 and was like sh1t! I need to cut the sh1t with the drinking and keep it to special occasions instead of celebrating every weekend lol.
This weekend was the first time i drank more than 1 or 2 drinks in probably 4 weeks. I still followed my diet fairly well and still hit the gym the same. It's amazing what it does to my body though. Have like 10 drinks and do everything else the same and overnight the composition of my muscle seems to change so much.