E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #1
Benny Minn

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
SES light goes away after having car detailed

I had the SES light on for a week with the error code that reads: "Oxygen sensor voltage after catalyst bank 2, open circuit." Yesterday, I had the car professionally detailed, including the engine bay, and when I picked it up, the light was off. Coincidence?
Benny Minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
Yes.
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
white46

My Ride: e46 323ci
Yes +2
Old 06-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
jcns

My Ride: California
check the O2 sensor. If it failed, it defaults to rich. If it runs rich too long, your cats will be gone too.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Benny Minn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
check the O2 sensor. If it failed, it defaults to rich. If it runs rich too long, your cats will be gone too.
I ordered new post-cat sensors a few days ago and I have noticed that the gas mileage seems low, so I'm sure they're dying if not already completely dead.

Last edited by Benny Minn; 06-05-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
The car just wanted to be cleaned. thats all.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcns View Post
EXCEPT that the error is the Post CAT sensor, which will not make the car run rich, or lean for that matter.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Benny Minn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
EXCEPT that the error is the Post CAT sensor, which will not make the car run rich, or lean for that matter.
So, the post-cat sensors are just there to verify that the cats work? If so, it sounds like I should have ordered the pre-cat sensors too. Ugh. I wouldn't mind so much if these cost half as much as they do, but I'm starting to miss my single-sensor M50.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #9
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
SES light goes away after having car detailed

You should of bought post cat sensors. Or try to find a local that know what they're doing with a GT1 who can reflash your ecu/dme with the EU2 tune which turns off post cat monitoring.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by TrickTizzle; 06-05-2013 at 03:35 PM.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Minn View Post
So, the post-cat sensors are just there to verify that the cats work? If so, it sounds like I should have ordered the pre-cat sensors too. Ugh. I wouldn't mind so much if these cost half as much as they do, but I'm starting to miss my single-sensor M50.
You're confusing yourself, and me.

You said you had codes for the Post CAT sensors, why are you replacing the Pre CAT sensors?

The Pre CAT sensors look at the exhaust stream and evaluate the contents for the amount of fuel contained, if there is too much or too little then the computer will adjust the fuel trim accordingly. If the sensors detect too much or too little fuel in the exhaust for a long enough period of time, the computer will throw a code to tell you that the fuel mixture is rich or lean, or that it is having a malfunction if it is alternating between rich and lean.

The Post CAT sensors look at the exhaust and compare what comes out of the CAT with what went in, and see that it is cleaner.

The fuel ratio needs to be 14.7:1 so that the molecules can be evenly combined to produce clean air and water. Without getting overly technical, the exhaust goes into the CAT and the various molecules can be split and combined through heat and the molecular components of the CAT itself to produce basically water and oxygen.

The Post CAT sensors verify that the chemical change from dirty stuff to clean has taken place. THAT IS ALL THEY DO.

Last edited by jdstrickland; 06-05-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Benny Minn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
You're confusing yourself, and me.

You said you had codes for the Post CAT sensors, why are you replacing the Pre CAT sensors?
I realize I worded that last message in a confusing way. To clarify, I have not yet ordered the pre's. Earlier in this thread, I said that I had new sensors on the way to alleviate the recorded SES error. Those are indeed the POST-CAT sensors. However, later in the discussion, it sounded like two things are likely:
1. If the post-CAT sensors are old and dying, then it's likely that the pre's are entering the end of their useful life-cycle as well.
2.The Pre-CAT sensors failing could likely cause the lower-than-expected fuel economy that I believe I'm seeing.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
jdstrickland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Minn View Post
I realize I worded that last message in a confusing way. To clarify, I have not yet ordered the pre's. Earlier in this thread, I said that I had new sensors on the way to alleviate the recorded SES error. Those are indeed the POST-CAT sensors. However, later in the discussion, it sounded like two things are likely:
1. If the post-CAT sensors are old and dying, then it's likely that the pre's are entering the end of their useful life-cycle as well.
2.The Pre-CAT sensors failing could likely cause the lower-than-expected fuel economy that I believe I'm seeing.
THAT makes sense. I concur, doctor.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #13
TopazBlu02

My Ride: 330CI
I remember having the "Oxygen sensor bank 2 lean condition" pop up on me last summer so I went online and ordered two pre-cat O2s. A few days later the SES light went away and has never returned. On our cars, the post-cat O2s hardly ever go wrong so don't bother ordering these.

So now I two pre-cat O2s lying around waiting to be installed once I get off my lazy ass.
TopazBlu02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #14
Benny Minn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopazBlu02 View Post
I remember having the "Oxygen sensor bank 2 lean condition" pop up on me last summer so I went online and ordered two pre-cat O2s. A few days later the SES light went away and has never returned. On our cars, the post-cat O2s hardly ever go wrong so don't bother ordering these.

So now I two pre-cat O2s lying around waiting to be installed once I get off my lazy ass.
This might have been helpful advice IF:
1. I hadn't already ordered them a week ago, and
2. if the light didn't come back on today, which it did.
3. if the error was a lean condition and not an "open circuit" condition.- different error than what you had and for different sensors.

Last edited by Benny Minn; 06-07-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
Could be a bad electrical connection. Detailing (washing engine) might have cleaned up enough to make temporary contact. You might try just disconnecting sensor, cleaning connector, then reattach.
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote