E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Exclamation Cam Bolt Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRK///M3 View Post
So in that case is HPF or the "new owner" going to take care of HPF owners that still have warranties?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using BimmerApp mobile app

Literally for the 10th time no. All warranties died when HPF closed, that includes mine on my brand new motor from 3 months ago.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
I'll bite...what happened to your motor derek?
Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
imapimp

My Ride: 2002.5 AV6 6MT 04M3
But what happened to his motor 3 months ago?
Old 05-30-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
AirFrcd

My Ride: Mfizzle, and GT-R
aaaaaah... I love this forum. I've been missing out BIG time, lol

Philippians 4:13

Last edited by AirFrcd; 05-30-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:46 PM   #5
Forcefed M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
I'll bite...what happened to your motor derek?
Vanos bolt backed out and a piece broke off, then worked it's way down into the oil pan. Evil things happened, scored the cylinder wall. Happened sitting at a traffic light. This is the second time in 7 years that this has happened, just had it serviced by a local shop 3 days before.

Last edited by Forcefed M3; 05-30-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Should of let me do your vanos....how did a single bolt back out anyways that's pretty much impossible.

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
Old 06-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
Forcefed M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Should of let me do your vanos....how did a single bolt back out anyways that's pretty much impossible.

It's not uncommon at all, there has been several members on here where that has happened. Mine pissses me off even more, I had the bolts thread locked in. After the whole Vegas fried valves, they swapped heads and the car was up running in days. But I never thought about thread locking the damn bolts on the new head. In fact I think Rob B stage 2 had one back all they way out and make intact to the oil pan.
There are ton's of youtube videos on this bolt failure issue.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #8
InDiGlOM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
It's not uncommon at all, there has been several members on here where that has happened. Mine pissses me off even more, I had the bolts thread locked in. After the whole Vegas fried valves, they swapped heads and the car was up running in days. But I never thought about thread locking the damn bolts on the new head. In fact I think Rob B stage 2 had one back all they way out and make intact to the oil pan.
There are ton's of youtube videos on this bolt failure issue.
Ill look at it tonight. And lock tight is not necessary. Its all about extreme precision of the tq of each bolt. But the inner cam gear bolts cannot just back out as the spring washer and plate are in the way. They can all come loose and causing noise and eventually shear off. So your talking about the hub bolts? Those can back out

Old 06-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
Forcefed M3

Quote:
They can all come loose and causing noise and eventually shear off. So your talking about the hub bolts? Those can back out

Yes exactly!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
SiGmA_X

My Ride: 93 325iS
This has to be installation error, right? I've worked on a handful of 100k+ S54's, which have never been apart, and they have never had this happen.... Definitely a small sample, but, what? This can't be common...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm4paintballer View Post
Under current tax laws, there is no substantial benefit of being a C Corp. Most C corps actually are electing Sub S status these days. Problem with tax laws is something that is great today, may completely stink if laws are changed.

The benefits of C, S or LLC is that they are separate legal entities and the owners are separate and can't be harmed by lawsuits (exceptions are there though) and their assets are protected. If you are a C or S, you must maintain it like a separate entity and do the BOD meetings, etc or the veil can be penetrated that way for example and get to the shareholders personal assets.

Under current tax law, LLCs are the most favorable and flexible. You don't need a partner for a LLC either. They are called single member LLCs and file a schedule C on your standard 1040.

Now, if Chris was intentionally defrauding his customers, he won't be able to hide regardless of the structure (not an accusation, just a comment as I don't know all the facts). That's criminal. Look at all the execs that get prison time for fraud.

Yes, I am a CPA.
Yeah, this is more on par with what I have heard.

Last edited by SiGmA_X; 06-03-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
InDiGlOM3

Quote:
Yes exactly!
Ok watched video, ive seen this one before. Those are the cam gear bolts not the hub bolts, the cam gear bolts have to all come loose then that **** happens, its a serious install error if it happened. but one individual cam gear bolt CANNOT come out and fall to pan.

Look at this diagram.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...04&hg=11&fg=25

Its actually in the wrong order. number 3 goes inbetween the hub and cam gears. the upper right parts of number 3 go flush against the cam gear bolts. making it so they have no where to go, to not just back out, exp one at a time. they can get all loose but this is only cuz of whoever installed the damn things in the first place, last I remember all s54's were hand built. and lock tight would only do good if the cam holes were sprayed with brake clean and dried.

but anyways I understand what happened and that does suck, but its not cuz of no lock tight it was just whoever did it fcked up.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
SiGmA_X

Quote:
Ok watched video, ive seen this one before. Those are the cam gear bolts not the hub bolts, the cam gear bolts have to all come loose then that **** happens, its a serious install error if it happened. but one individual cam gear bolt CANNOT come out and fall to pan.

Look at this diagram.

Its actually in the wrong order. number 3 goes inbetween the hub and cam gears. the upper right parts of number 3 go flush against the cam gear bolts. making it so they have no where to go, to not just back out, exp one at a time. they can get all loose but this is only cuz of whoever installed the damn things in the first place, last I remember all s54's were hand built. and lock tight would only do good if the cam holes were sprayed with brake clean and dried.

but anyways I understand what happened and that does suck, but its not cuz of no lock tight it was just whoever did it fcked up.
Thank you for confirming my suspicions.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
MarcusLSB

My Ride: BMW's
Quote:

Look at this diagram.

Or it never happened to begin with.

PS: Thought the first failure at MFest in 2011 was due to a cam sensor.

youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

Last edited by MarcusLSB; 06-03-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #14
Forcefed M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusLSB View Post
Or it never happened to begin with.

PS: Thought the first failure at MFest in 2011 was due to a cam sensor.
LOL more crap coming out of your mouth, motor did not fail at MFest the valves did! I am not the first person to have a bolt back out. Ask evil twin rob, I'm sure he was the other one. Your constantly trying to start crap, maybe you should focus on your shop with John and get the turbo E92 M3 out the door. Or maybe we could talk about the fact that almost EVERY single proefi customer has suddenly sold their cars after going proefi. Not trying to start stuff, but tired of the stupid attacks.

Last edited by Forcefed M3; 06-03-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #15
Forcefed M3

Quote:

Look at this diagram.

OEM from head BMW, Vanos was not touched. Rob and I both have had this issue, I'm sure it was Rob. The bolt was intact and in the oil pan.

Last edited by Forcefed M3; 06-03-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #16
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
The cam gear bolts can come out...there was a revision made to the bolts iirc. Common upgrade done...they are only torqued to 14nm.

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 06-03-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #17
Forcefed M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
The cam gear bolts can come out...there was a revision made to the bolts iirc. Common upgrade done...they are only torqued to 14nm.
Are you serious thats a little more than finger tight isn't it?? I suppose if there was lock tight done it would not have been a problem. Who knows it could have come from HPF or even BMW messed up. Not a big deal now, over with and done.

Last edited by Forcefed M3; 06-03-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #18
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Re: Does HPF owe you MONEY, PARTS, or LABOR .. What can WE do ?

Yea its well documented as the bolts are superseded by New pn numbers off of the z4 s54 motor. BMW I'm sure is well aware of this and everyone should check their sprockets for play when adjusting their valves. Please let's stop calling each other liars and end the bickering as this thread is going off topic. If you are not a current customer needing help please stay off this thread as you are just polluting it and making harder for customers needing help again an outlet for people who need support from the few people that are left to assist them. Thanks. I'll clean this up (seperate) later so til then plead stay on topic.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do. But it takes character and self-control
to be understanding and forgiving. A great man shows his greatness, by the way he treats little men."

Last edited by MachRc; 06-04-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #19
SiGmA_X

Quote:
Are you serious thats a little more than finger tight isn't it?? I suppose if there was lock tight done it would not have been a problem. Who knows it could have come from HPF or even BMW messed up. Not a big deal now, over with and done.
Well, for some people 50ftlb may be finger tight. But yes, 14NM is not very tight - but that's the torque a ton of the top end nuts and bolts are torqued to and it works just fine, usually. The M5X cam bolts are all 14-20NM IIRC.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #20
Rockyminator

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 M3
Re: Cam Bolt Thread

Quote:
Literally for the 10th time no. All warranties died when HPF closed, that includes mine on my brand new motor from 3 months ago.
Didn't know where to post this since the HPF parts thread is closed so I'll post here, is HPF really gone for good? I'm hearing about HPF being bought out by someone else.. will it still be called Horsepowerfreaks? What exactly is the deal? How long is this secret going to take until it surfaces? Can someone please fill me in because I'm confused...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app