E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #21
Forcefed M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,418
My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyminator View Post
Didn't know where to post this since the HPF parts thread is closed so I'll post here, is HPF really gone for good? I'm hearing about HPF being bought out by someone else.. will it still be called Horsepowerfreaks? What exactly is the deal? How long is this secret going to take until it surfaces? Can someone please fill me in because I'm confused...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Yes it is gone, I'm trying to work a deal with a few of the employees to take the turbo kit over. I'm working with Amex attorney to get their blessing in writing, I have it verbally only. I don't want anything to do with this crap after this.
__________________
Forcefed M3 is offline  
Old 06-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #22
Saad @ Saad Racing
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 196
My Ride: S600
So explain to me how the pieces in the oil pan scored the cylinder walls?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Vanos bolt backed out and a piece broke off, then worked it's way down into the oil pan. Evil things happened, scored the cylinder wall. Happened sitting at a traffic light. This is the second time in 7 years that this has happened, just had it serviced by a local shop 3 days before.
__________________
http://www.saadracing.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saad-...ref=ts&fref=ts

If you can't run with the big Dawgs, stay on the porch!
Saad @ Saad Racing is offline  
Old 06-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #23
Saad @ Saad Racing
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 196
My Ride: S600
Talk about crap coming out of someones mouth, half the stuff you say about these cars makes no sense. The comment about ProEFI owners selling their cars is nothing more then a fool making a foolish statement.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
LOL more crap coming out of your mouth, motor did not fail at MFest the valves did! I am not the first person to have a bolt back out. Ask evil twin rob, I'm sure he was the other one. Your constantly trying to start crap, maybe you should focus on your shop with John and get the turbo E92 M3 out the door. Or maybe we could talk about the fact that almost EVERY single proefi customer has suddenly sold their cars after going proefi. Not trying to start stuff, but tired of the stupid attacks.
__________________
http://www.saadracing.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saad-...ref=ts&fref=ts

If you can't run with the big Dawgs, stay on the porch!
Saad @ Saad Racing is offline  
Old 06-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #24
dan avoN7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Danville, CA
Posts: 395
My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad @ Saad Racing View Post
half the stuff you say about these cars makes no sense.
dan avoN7 is offline  
Old 06-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #25
Evil Twin Rob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spokane Wa.
Posts: 1,086
My Ride: 2004 M3
I came to the party a little late. Yes, I had a cam gear bolt back out, and the whole thing ended up in the pan. It was bent, but not sheared off. Still not sure how it came all the way out without shearing, but it did.
__________________
HPF 2.5
Evil Twin Rob is offline  
Old 06-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #26
InDiGlOM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Copperas Cove
Posts: 1,442
My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
You got a picture of it rob?

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
__________________
InDiGlOM3 is offline  
Old 06-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #27
Estoril-E46
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fl
Posts: 785
My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin Rob View Post
I came to the party a little late. Yes, I had a cam gear bolt back out, and the whole thing ended up in the pan. It was bent, but not sheared off. Still not sure how it came all the way out without shearing, but it did.
bent bolts don't come out, ever, if it was bent it was bent after it came out.
__________________
The quick but slow car:


www.Precision-Sport.com
Estoril-E46 is offline  
Old 06-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #28
always-there
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 1,176
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Cam Bolt Thread

This happened to me 2-3 weeks ago. Such a nightmare, but I got it out with an automatic punch, titanium bit, 90 degree drill adapter, and extractor. Luckily the broken piece didn't fall in the motor--sucks to have your misfortune. Don't feel down, you'll get her back up!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
always-there is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 12:16 AM   #29
Forcefed M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,418
My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad @ Saad Racing View Post
Talk about crap coming out of someones mouth, half the stuff you say about these cars makes no sense. The comment about ProEFI owners selling their cars is nothing more then a fool making a foolish statement.
Facts are the facts do a search before you open your mouth, or did you not learn that from your vegas flap? Or are you simply standing up for Jason since he got caught on this thread stating people are selling their cars because somehow they are worth more with proefi.
HMMM try using the search feature!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=422332
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
__________________

Last edited by Forcefed M3; 06-09-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Forcefed M3 is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #30
Forcefed M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,418
My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDM-E46 Enthusiast View Post
This happened to me 2-3 weeks ago. Such a nightmare, but I got it out with an automatic punch, titanium bit, 90 degree drill adapter, and extractor. Luckily the broken piece didn't fall in the motor--sucks to have your misfortune. Don't feel down, you'll get her back up!


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Glad you got it out! Mine has been back up and running for a few months.
__________________
Forcefed M3 is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #31
Forcefed M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,418
My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post
Ahh how cute the troll is back! Hate to burst your bubble but this is a well know BMW issue.
__________________
Forcefed M3 is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #32
dan avoN7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Danville, CA
Posts: 395
My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Ahh how cute the troll is back! Hate to burst your bubble but this is a well know BMW issue.
I am very familiar with the actual problem Derek. I frequently work on my car and do routine maintenance, after all it is a heavily tracked car. Here's a shot of my old Vanos exhaust hub, broken tab and all.




It's clear you haven't taken apart the entire Vanos system yourself as the way you describe the parts is not accurate. It's physically impossible for the cam sprocket bolts to fall in to the oil pan with the hubs in place. The cam sprocket bolts can stretch/loosen but they won't fall in to the oil pan as you are describing (unless it happens upon dissemble when the hub is removed).
dan avoN7 is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #33
Forcefed M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,418
My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post
I am very familiar with the actual problem Derek. I frequently work on my car and do routine maintenance, after all it is a heavily tracked car. Here's a shot of my old Vanos exhaust hub, broken tab and all.




It's clear you haven't taken apart the entire Vanos system yourself as the way you describe the parts is not accurate. It's physically impossible for the cam sprocket bolts to fall in to the oil pan with the hubs in place. The cam sprocket bolts can stretch/loosen but they won't fall in to the oil pan as you are describing (unless it happens upon dissemble when the hub is removed).

Well there are plenty of people on this very thread have stated they had the EXACT issue I have, they all must be lying.

Try reading other people posts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin Rob View Post
I came to the party a little late. Yes, I had a cam gear bolt back out, and the whole thing ended up in the pan. It was bent, but not sheared off. Still not sure how it came all the way out without shearing, but it did.
__________________

Last edited by Forcefed M3; 06-09-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Forcefed M3 is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #34
dan avoN7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Danville, CA
Posts: 395
My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Well there are plenty of people on this very thread have stated they had the EXACT issue I have, they all must be lying.
Nope. They are likely confused or they are describing a different scenario. Often times people refer to being "lucky" when a broken Vanos exhaust hub tab is lodged in the Vanos pump and hasn't fallen in to the timing chain/oil pan. I will say it again, the cam sprocket bolts can stretch/loosen but they aren't going to fall in to the oil pan while the engine is running. It will only happen if you accidentally drop one during dissemble.
dan avoN7 is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #35
Forcefed M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 3,418
My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post
Nope. They are likely confused or they are describing a different scenario. Often times people refer to being "lucky" when a broken Vanos exhaust hub tab is lodged in the Vanos pump and hasn't fallen in to the timing chain/oil pan. I will say it again, the cam sprocket bolts can stretch/loosen but they aren't going to fall in to the oil pan while the engine is running. It will only happen if you accidentally drop one during dissemble.
LOL ok I guess BMW changed the bolt design because people were "dropping" bolts in at least 3 motors on this thread alone. Your so desperate to prove me wrong people are now "describing" a different scenario. Rob and I are stating the EXACT same issue.
__________________
Forcefed M3 is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #36
dan avoN7
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Danville, CA
Posts: 395
My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
LOL ok I guess BMW changed the bolt design because people were "dropping" bolts in at least 3 motors on this thread alone. Your so desperate to prove me wrong people are now "describing" a different scenario. Rob and I are stating the EXACT same issue.
BMW superseded the cam sprocket bolts. These are known to come loose/stretch however it is impossible for them to fall in to the oil pan as you are describing. Unless of course the mechanic drops one upon dissemble Pictured below as reference.



The intake/exhaust HUB bolts can potentially fall in to the oil pan if they come loose, however, that would be due to install error. These bolts have not been changed/superseded by BMW. Pictured below as reference.

Last edited by dan avoN7; 06-09-2013 at 03:07 PM.
dan avoN7 is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #37
InDiGlOM3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Copperas Cove
Posts: 1,442
My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
like I said before. The cam gear bolts can't come out. The head side cant. Maybe one can brake after they are all loose for awhile and the front side comes out the back way. But it would be broke in half by then and the threads damaged so it wouldn't even let that happen. The bolt just can't fall out. There in a metal plate pushed against them. They all come loose and break but they don't fall out. Only can the hub bolts do that. Look at the pictures above. I've worked on about ten vanos's doing full rebuilds and I know what I'm talking about. Even if they all shear and the entire gear falls off the hub is still connected as the bolts on the hub go thru the cam gear and bolt into a plate on the back side

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
__________________

Last edited by InDiGlOM3; 06-09-2013 at 03:58 PM.
InDiGlOM3 is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #38
MPOWAA
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: TUCSON
Posts: 4
My Ride: '02 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Facts are the facts do a search before you open your mouth, or did you not learn that from your vegas flap? Or are you simply standing up for Jason since he got caught on this thread stating people are selling their cars because somehow they are worth more with proefi.
HMMM try using the search feature!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=422332
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
Ok, I'll bite. I went through your links to forum members selling their cars "because of the proefi".

Here's what I found :

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST06M3 View Post
Car is running great. All work and current status of car is backed by both Saad Racing and ProEFI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5chas View Post

I am sure most are aware that this is one of the fastest if not still the fastest (don't keep up on that) e46 m3 in the US with a 1/4 mile time of 10.54 and a best trap of 141+mph. Just fyi, it is currently not setup for 1/4 mile racing, but more for road course or roll on duty. Also, anyone looking for big power could install a larger turbo and 2150cc injectors and basically the sky is the limit. There are no bottle necks with the Saad setup. Personally, I wouldn't change a thing though.


There are probably more items that I am forgetting. This car is truly one of a kind. It is completely done and done right, and no expense was spared in the build. It made 890whp on a mustang dyno at 30psi, yet can be driven all day in any type of conditions without issue. I have driven it in rush hour traffic in 90 degree temps without a problem and then also driven it in 30 degree temps drama free. Never a problem. Plus, with the Proefi you are able to run pump gas or e85 without switching any maps or running the tank dry, just pump and run and the Proefi will calibrate for you. It is an unbelievable car to drive. I have owned a few turbo m3s and this is the best of the best for sure.

Most that know me know that I have a serious short attention span with cars and thus they don't stick around for long. Right now I am craving a GT-R and that is the only reason for the sale. I honestly don't think the GT-R will provide the smile-o-meter factor that this car does, but need to get it out of my system. No lowballers and no tire kickers. Obviously no need or rush to sell. Any questions, please shoot me an email. Thanks much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02bmwm3 View Post
This car will a be a dream for anyone to own. One of the lowest milage E46 M3's still around. Investing in a new business so the toy needs to go. Please contact HPF or SAAD Racing for any other questions. Car runs perfect!


What was your point in all this? It seems perfectly clear to me that these cars ran great using the ProEFI/Saad setups. Have we even seen a 10 sec car on an AEM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad @ Saad Racing View Post
Talk about crap coming out of someones mouth, half the stuff you say about these cars makes no sense. The comment about ProEFI owners selling their cars is nothing more then a fool making a foolish statement.
Couldn't agree more. +1
MPOWAA is offline  
Old 06-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #39
Saad @ Saad Racing
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 196
My Ride: S600
Facts are that the people that sold their ProEFI cars got more because they run better. You just helped prove it, thanks What Vegas flap? As for Jason, he hasn't been on this forum in a long time. If he wanted to be he can, as I have offered to put him under my account and he declined. Just a little FYI for you, ass talker


Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Facts are the facts do a search before you open your mouth, or did you not learn that from your vegas flap? Or are you simply standing up for Jason since he got caught on this thread stating people are selling their cars because somehow they are worth more with proefi.
HMMM try using the search feature!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=422332
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=proefi
__________________
http://www.saadracing.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Saad-...ref=ts&fref=ts

If you can't run with the big Dawgs, stay on the porch!
Saad @ Saad Racing is offline  
Old 06-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #40
Evil Twin Rob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spokane Wa.
Posts: 1,086
My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
You got a picture of it rob?

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
I had a couple pictures of it at one time, but I can't find them now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril-E46 View Post
bent bolts don't come out, ever, if it was bent it was bent after it came out.
It had a small mark on the head, and no marks on the threads. It looked to me like it hung up on something as it came out, then fell into the pan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post


The intake/exhaust HUB bolts can potentially fall in to the oil pan if they come loose, however, that would be due to install error. These bolts have not been changed/superseded by BMW. Pictured below as reference.
This is actually one of the bolts that came loose and fell out.
__________________
HPF 2.5
Evil Twin Rob is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use