E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #41
dan avoN7

My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin Rob View Post
This is actually one of the bolts that came loose and fell out.
So it's a hub bolt, not a cam sprocket bolt as the *****kept insisting. Was your Vanos/head ever taken apart? Possibly to install ARP head studs or some sort of maintenance at one point?

Last edited by MachRc; 06-11-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:37 AM   #42
FragNasty

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post
So it's a hub bolt, not a cam sprocket bolt as the tard kept insisting. Was your Vanos/head ever taken apart? Possibly to install ARP head studs or some sort of maintenance at one point?
Can one of these bolts falling out cause cylinder damage? Or does it just fall into the oil pan and wait to be found?
Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #43
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
No it cant that's I'm possible. The main reason these come out is because people that have had them worked on. There is a spring washer behind the hub. So if you tighten one bolt it loosens another. So you really need to go around and tq them more then once. this way making sire they are all perfect.

Sent from my EVO using Bimmer App
Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #44
FragNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
No it cant that's I'm possible. The main reason these come out is because people that have had them worked on. There is a spring washer behind the hub. So if you tighten one bolt it loosens another. So you really need to go around and tq them more then once. this way making sire they are all perfect.

Ok.

My question was actually supposing that a bolt does fall off [due to incorrect installation]. It would probably fall into the oil pan and remain there. My point of contention being that a bolt in the oil pan isn't going to cause cylinder damage.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #45
InDiGlOM3

No it won't cause damage from the pan. Unless your car flys upside down lol.

Getting to the oil pan from the hub thou can Fck some shyt up thou. If it falls into the chain and rams into a gear or something.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #46
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
if it s not some bolt, the tabs coming off and getting lodged in the chain..

deadlysyns' pix

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
Old 06-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #47
FragNasty

Gotcha thanks.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #48
SiGmA_X

My Ride: 93 325iS
Quote:

Are any of the reported failures from bone stock never worked on cars? Or are they all from cars HPF had worked on?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #49
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGmA_X View Post
Are any of the reported failures from bone stock never worked on cars? Or are they all from cars HPF had worked on?
Go to M3Forum...hundreds of hub failures, bolt shearing, etc...

Last edited by Commanderwiggin; 06-11-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #50
Evil Twin Rob

My Ride: 2004 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan avoN7 View Post
So it's a hub bolt, not a cam sprocket bolt as the *****kept insisting. Was your Vanos/head ever taken apart? Possibly to install ARP head studs or some sort of maintenance at one point?
A valve adjustment had been done, but I don't know if that work involves removing those bolts. I bought the car with 32k miles, so i'd be surprised if any of those bolts had been previously removed.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #51
InDiGlOM3

Re: Cam Bolt Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
Go to M3Forum...hundreds of hub failures, bolt shearing, etc...
Its almost never not hub bolts. I think you guys are confusing everyone lol. its either a tab breaking or the cam gear bolts. Not the hub bolts.

Sent from my EVO using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #52
InDiGlOM3

Re: Cam Bolt Thread

Quote:
A valve adjustment had been done, but I don't know if that work involves removing those bolts. I bought the car with 32k miles, so i'd be surprised if any of those bolts had been previously removed.

Rob when did it happen to you? Before or after turbo lot or after the build? Or all before? You don't loosen hub bolts for a valve job.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #53
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Its almost never not hub bolts. I think you guys are confusing everyone lol. its either a tab breaking or the cam gear bolts. Not the hub bolts.

Ya that's what I meant cam gear bolts...no issues with the hub bolts.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #54
dan avoN7

My Ride: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by FragNasty View Post
Can one of these bolts falling out cause cylinder damage? Or does it just fall into the oil pan and wait to be found?
If it doesn't get caught up in the timing chain then it will fall directly in to the oil pan. There it will sit until the pan is removed and the bolt/piece is retrieved. Cylinder damage from one hub bolt coming loose, HIGHLY unlikely.
Quote:
Nope, the hub bolts are not touched during a valve adjustment. When exactly did you have this failure and also you are 100% certain that is the bolt that backed out?
Quote:
+1 That's why I had mentioned earlier "They are likely confused or they are describing a different scenario" It's like a game of telephone
Old 06-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #55
e46_m3

My Ride: 05' Imola ZCP M3
Cam Bolt Thread

OolOe. Ne

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #56
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWAA View Post
Ok, I'll bite. I went through your links to forum members selling their cars "because of the proefi".

Here's what I found :

What was your point in all this? It seems perfectly clear to me that these cars ran great using the ProEFI/Saad setups. Have we even seen a 10 sec car on an AEM?

Couldn't agree more. +1

Of "course" the car that I am selling runs perfect, the fact that at least two were immediately sold after they took possession means nothing You thing the DME makes a difference and yes an AEM car has run a 10 second pass.

Last edited by Forcefed M3; 06-12-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #57
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad @ Saad Racing View Post
Facts are that the people that sold their ProEFI cars got more because they run better. You just helped prove it, thanks What Vegas flap? As for Jason, he hasn't been on this forum in a long time. If he wanted to be he can, as I have offered to put him under my account and he declined. Just a little FYI for you, ass talker
You don't remember? Chads car was going to run 10's, then your car was going to run 10's? As for Jason he logged under a new name and started crap a bit ago, his new name was banned!!

Last edited by Forcefed M3; 06-12-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Closed Thread