E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Blind_Shooter

My Ride: is your sister
E46 fan questions

I have an automatic e46 323i. I have a few questions I'm trying to figure out with the fan. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1370574813.204447.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	509671

I want to confirm that Is how the fan is supposed to be plugged in. I don't think so since the wires don't match up.

What direction does the e46 fan spin? Mine spins counter clockwise and seems to slow the mechanical fan down. It also seems to be pushing instead of pulling.

Only thing is it looks like the fan is supposed to spin that way. Problem is when I plug the fan in like I have it in the pic it never stops running. When I plug it in the other way it never runs at all. So confused over this.

Engine never overheats.
A/c works fine. Ice cold
Replaced thermostat on lower hose.
No check engine light.
No errors though the pa soft either.

EDIT:
should also add that my clip for the fan is broken
also heres a video of what im talking about

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Blind_Shooter; 06-06-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Blind_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
Your electric fan is spinning in the correct direction, it's supposed to push the air through the radiator when the car is stopped.
I looked at that connector on my car, it's plugged in like that, with the brown wires lined up.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Blind_Shooter

E46 fan questions

Thats how its supposed to be? are you sure? It doesnt stop spinning when hooked up like that.

This is how it looks when all 3 are matched up. But nothing happens when plugged in like this. Can you take a pic of yours. I have no reference point to look at. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1370576980.598330.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	509677

just to be clear, the aux fan at full speed will slow down the mechanical one at idle a little bit? It just never stops running

Last edited by Blind_Shooter; 06-06-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:40 AM   #4
Stickbuilder

My Ride: Touring, and others
If you have the A/C on, the fan will continue to run. Try turning off your compressor (snowflake button) and see if it doesn't allow the fan to shut down.

English
Sarcasm
Profanity
Stickbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Blind_Shooter

it turns on and stays on full bore even with the car shut off

Old 06-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Shooter View Post
it turns on and stays on full bore even with the car shut off
I've seen that here, and it required changing the fan because the fan controller can't be replaced separately.

Search for aux fan issues. There have been a few over the years.

cvx5832 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
swawrench

My Ride: 2002 325i, 94 318ic
Judging by the last two seconds of your video I appears the fan is turning the opposite direction than it should. It seems to be blowing air out of the front of the car, instead of blowing the air over your radiator and condenser. The engine fan is probably compensating well enough for you not to overheat but this needs correcting. Since the fan is turning in the wrong direction (which is my opinion from the video) then it seems the electric motor is getting reverse polarity. In other words the wires are reversed, so it is not plugged in properly.
swawrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Blind_Shooter

E46 fan questions

Thank you. That's What I thought. But I don't have anything to compare it to. If you look in the video, you will see that the flag is blowing Because of the auxiliary fan going the wrong direction. If I plug it in the other way nothing happens. The strange thing is I bought another used fan and it did the same thing. Maybe both of them had a bad relay I guess.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
swawrench

So when properly plugged in does it come on with the air conditioning?
Old 06-07-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
It will, yes.

I am curious as to how you are able to plug in your fan in multiple ways. It is an idiot proof connector (as are all connectors on cars). You shouldn't be able to plug it in wrong.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
My fan would run after I shut the car, hence my new fan. Not cheap either. If you're strapped for cash just unplug it every time you shut the car and you can make it last until you save enough to replace.

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
WDE46

honestly, I would recommend the electric fan conversion. Just buy a Bosch fan from BMA parts for $180 and install it, removing the front electric fan and mechanical fan. Easy.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
Blind_Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swawrench View Post
So when properly plugged in does it come on with the air conditioning?
nope not at all. only if i reverse the polarity on it does it run.

WDE, the plug is broken thats why i can plug it in upside down. Didn't notice the fan never worked until months after i bought the car and the expansion tank blew in tampa traffic.

I can't get that fan to turn on under any conditions to be honest.

I am currently looking for a used electric fan, as I'm a little broke right now. About to graduate college, got a BS speeding ticket from a State Trooper in a plane. I was def not going 85 probably 80 with the flow of traffic

I wanted to try and verify it was def the fan before I spent that kind of money right now.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
Blind_Shooter

Also to verify, any fan from any e46 should work correctly for a 2000 323i automatic correct? Even the stick shift electric fan just plugs into the existing aux fan plug?

Old 06-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #15
WDE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind_Shooter View Post
Also to verify, any fan from any e46 should work correctly for a 2000 323i automatic correct? Even the stick shift electric fan just plugs into the existing aux fan plug?
Yep. You only need to acquire a fan. No extra parts are needed. I would recommend removing the electric aux fan as well.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #16
swawrench

While that may be true, there are two different fans a "pusher" like yours which mounts in front of the radiator and a "puller" which mounts between the radiator and the engine. The latter is the one for the conversion.
This may help http://www.oembimmerparts.com/BMW_E4...rts_s/1863.htm

However, you are obviously getting voltage to the fan so it could be the ecm signal or a sensor. Also please keep in mind those expansion tanks are known to blow even if the car doesn't overheat. Since money is an issue right now a little more trouble shooting might be worth it.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #17
Blind_Shooter

Just as an update in case anyone comes across this thread.

I replaced the fan with a new one (3rd fan now) and voila it works fine, spins the right darn direction and everything. Also maybe its the beer talking, but I swear the AC is colder too

RECAP: old fan didnt work, replaced with junk yard one, same problem, replaced it again and it worked. 1st two fans had blown relays.