E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Alcohol and lifting

My question is this: if one is to heavily binge drink on a friday and saturday, is it worth lifting slightly hungover on saturday afternoon before drinking again?

I want to train but not sure if it is worth it today. SHUT UP AND LIFT
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
DILLA

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Alcohol destroys your bodies ability to undergo protein synthesis. Just lift hard and do some cardio the next day and get that sh1t out of you, plus it's the best way to cure a hangover IMO.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
I look at it this way. It's better to workout than not.

Ps. You look **** faced in that pic that was just posted of you lol
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
kushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I look at it this way. It's better to workout than not.

Ps. You look **** faced in that pic that was just posted of you lol
i agree.

I just came back from a patio with some other friends. There were legit 15 girls, 1 gay guy, and me at the pre party. I really like the chick beside me though, cool as hell. and dude, you have no idea how shitfaced i was.

Last edited by kushy; 06-08-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
bostonsc4

My Ride: BMW 323i
Dude during senior week at my college, classes were done, all I had to do was lift and party. I was absolutely blitzed every single night and woke up early and lifted for almost 2 hours a day every day. It was awesome, such a fun week. I always drink a lot of water if I'm drinking before bed, so I wasn't ever bed ridden hungover, a few days I just didn't have my mojo.
bostonsc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
If you guys like lifting hungover, cool, but you're wasting your time from a gaining muscle/losing fat view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
If you guys like lifting hungover, cool, but you're wasting your time from a gaining muscle/losing fat view.
agreed
Old 06-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
bostonsc4

Quote:
I don't believe I ever stated that I enjoy it or do it routinely. I did it during a week of my life I'll never have back with people I won't see again since graduation. I actually had some of the best workouts numbers / volume / performance wise I ever achieved that week.

Last edited by bostonsc4; 06-10-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
DylloS

Quote:
isn't it better to lift than not?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
bostonsc4

Quote:
I would think at a BARE minimum you'd be maintaining your numbers etc.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
dwass325

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
I don't believe I ever stated that I enjoy it or do it routinely. I did it during a week of my life I'll never have back with people I won't see again since graduation. I actually had some of the best workouts numbers / volume / performance wise I ever achieved that week.
If you were drinking heavily and improving your numbers, I'd say that is more telling of your "regular" schedule than anything else (i.e. you might have been too strict on your diet, not enough rest for your level of activity, etc.) I had this problem a lot in college - I kept a terrible sleep schedule and was pretty poor at estimating my nutrition when I wasn't strictly dieting.

Quote:
No. A lot of people do this and end up staying sick longer, being fatigued longer, etc. I'm not saying you should always give in to that thought of "I shouldn't lift" but I am saying there are times when you should lay on the couch and rehydrate or recover in some other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonsc4 View Post
I would think at a BARE minimum you'd be maintaining your numbers etc.
You don't have to lift all the time to maintain numbers. I haven't deadlifted heavy since last August and pulled 405 x 2 last week. All you maintain by going every day is some small level of pump.

Quote:
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

Old 06-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
I like to think of it like this.

My bodies ability to recover from stress is already impaired, thanks to me pounding it with alcohol for hours the night before.

Do I want to introduce more physical stress when it is already impaired, or allow it to recover first?

It would be similar to going to the gym to do heavy squats the day after a powerlifting meet (bit more of an extreme example but it gets point across)
Old 06-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
dwass325

Agreed. I prefer resting and taking a day off, knowing I'll get 100% results tomorrow...rather than go in at 50% today so I can pat myself on the back for getting off the couch.

Quote:

Last edited by dwass325; 06-10-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
DylloS

are you talking full blown hang over or any day after alcohol. I can drink a bottle of wine and wake up like I haven't had a drop. Would you skip a workout then?
Old 06-10-2013, 03:28 PM   #15
kushy

Quote:
are you talking full blown hang over or any day after alcohol. I can drink a bottle of wine and wake up like I haven't had a drop. Would you skip a workout then?
If this is directed at me I was blackout the night before, don't remember how I got home etc. Actually I don't think I even slept at my house. The whole weekend was a daze.

That should say enough.

PS I'm on vacation, and YOLO-ing
Old 06-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #16
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
If this is directed at me I was blackout the night before, don't remember how I got home etc. Actually I don't think I even slept at my house. The whole weekend was a daze.

That should say enough.

#swag
Old 06-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
z00

My Ride: E46 M3 Manual
You might wanna get retested for STDs. You never know who was inside you. English guys have high percentages of HPV and HSV.

Quote:

That should say enough.

z00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #18
kushy

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
You might wanna get retested for STDs. You never know who was inside you. English guys have high percentages of HPV and HSV.
STD results came back non reactive and not detected for everything. thanks for looking out though

I now wear a cage around my dick and use a butt plug every time I go out. LOL
Old 06-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
kushy

****. I'm in the same situation again. I went out thurs and friday, and now going out tonight. I'm tired as hell but not hungover so I'm going to have a fast paced lift (instead of 60 sec breaks between sets I'm going to try 45 seconds and see how it effects my lift). When I get back from vacation I will get my **** together.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #20
bostonsc4

Quote:
****. I'm in the same situation again. I went out thurs and friday, and now going out tonight. I'm tired as hell but not hungover so I'm going to have a fast paced lift (instead of 60 sec breaks between sets I'm going to try 45 seconds and see how it effects my lift). When I get back from vacation I will get my **** together.
Do you time every break when you're at the gym? I don't know if a 15 second break will make much difference man. Just do your regular routine you'll be fine.